• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Cs1 Suspension

trinity

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2011 at 2:03 PM, Davy said:

Hi Trinity,

Sorry for the massive delay in replying, I was not around for quite some time. Nice to see you on the forum too. :) My Lancer is a 2001 CS3A. 1.6L (4G18) engine, Manual transmission.

Did you change your car's shocks? Hope you can the updated prices if and when you buy them. Thanks!

Davy

Hi all

Same situation here. When I drive with 4 passengers, sometimes the rear side tire hit the Wheel arc. As per the tech people, they said socks Can be used. But I'm pretty sure that I have to changed them ASAP. Any experience do you have?? Thanks all.

Thanks again

Shashi

54 minutes ago, shaba said:

Hi all

Same situation here. When I drive with 4 passengers, sometimes the rear side tire hit the Wheel arc. As per the tech people, they said socks Can be used. But I'm pretty sure that I have to changed them ASAP. Any experience do you have?? Thanks all.

Thanks again

Shashi

Do you have aftermarket alloy wheels installed? If the shocks are good, using a set of wide wheels with an incompatible offset can be the cause for why it rubs. Does it always rub or only when you have a few passengers at the back? Or is it only when you go over a pothole or something?

2 minutes ago, Davy said:

Do you have aftermarket alloy wheels installed? If the shocks are good, using a set of wide wheels with an incompatible offset can be the cause for why it rubs. Does it always rub or only when you have a few passengers at the back? Or is it only when you go over a pothole or something?

Yes. Alloy wheels are installed. And it's not always but when even one passenger there and ran over a like a bump it is happening.

Thank you Davy.

16 minutes ago, shaba said:

Yes. Alloy wheels are installed. And it's not always but when even one passenger there and ran over a like a bump it is happening.

Thank you Davy.

Right. What's the size of the set of alloys (diameter, width and offset) and tyres? The originals are (14" , 6" wide and +40 mm offset with 185/65R14 tyres). So if your wheels are more than 7 inch wide, it might be due to the wider wheels.

And where does the wheel touch exactly? Is it the top edge of the wheel arch or the top inside of the wheel well?

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Just now, Davy said:

Right. What's the size of the set of alloys (diameter, width and offset) and tyres? The originals are (14" , 6 inch wide and +40 mm offset with 185/65R14 tyres). So if your wheels are more than 7 inch wide, it might be due to the wider wheels.

And where does the wheel touch exactly? Is it the top edge of the wheel arch or the top inside of the wheel well?

above size facts about to be checked again and it's touching top of the inside edge. Please give me some time to provide above sizes. Thanks Davy for your help.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:49 AM, Davy said:

Right. What's the size of the set of alloys (diameter, width and offset) and tyres? The originals are (14" , 6" wide and +40 mm offset with 185/65R14 tyres). So if your wheels are more than 7 inch wide, it might be due to the wider wheels.

WP_20161217_15_31_31_Pro.jpg

1 hour ago, shaba said:

WP_20161217_15_31_31_Pro.jpg

Okay, original tyre size. So the diameter of the rim is 14". From the way the tyre looks in that photo, I assume the width of the rim is 6" or 6.5" max. Both are within the safe range. 

There's one more measurement that's not in your photo and that's the offset of the rim. It should be embossed on the mounting surface of the rim, so you need to remove the wheel from the car to see it.

If it's not embossed/engraved, then you need to manually measure it. It's the distance from the centreline of the rim to the mounting surface. More info here. You can search in YouTube how to measure wheel offset. It needs to be in millimetres. 

Why this needs to be checked is because if your alloys have a lower offset that causes the wheels to stick out than original, it can touch the wheel arch. 

Did this start happening recently or ever since your installed the new wheels /bought the car (assuming with current wheels)?