• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Correct Tire Pressure

asanka424

Question

Dear All,

My car originally came with 195/60/15. and the recommended tire pressure is 30.

Now it has 205/60/15 tires. So what should be the correct tire pressure? I just wonder how you should change the recommended tire pressure according to the tire size?

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

Dear All,

My car originally came with 195/60/15. and the recommended tire pressure is 30.

Now it has 205/60/15 tires. So what should be the correct tire pressure? I just wonder how you should change the recommended tire pressure according to the tire size?

Thanks.

As i know the standard tire pressure for 205/60/15 is 32 psi...If you consider the climate factor in Sri Lanka (considering as hot) it's not a problem if you fill 3 psi above the recommended pressure for the tire..but it's always good if you can use the right tire pressure and have a air pressure checkup once a week... :rolleyes:

Sorry guys I have to accept that i have done a small mistake here..it should be below..not above.. :rolleyes:

Edited by AbeysinghE

As i know the standard tire pressure for 205/60/15 is 32 psi...If you consider the climate factor in Sri Lanka (considering as hot) it's not a problem if you fill 3 psi above the recommended pressure for the tire..but it's always good if you can use the right tire pressure and have a air pressure checkup once a week... :rolleyes:

Thanks. Currently tire pressure is only 30. So I will change it to around 32-33 next time.

Far as I know there is no 'Correct Pressure' for a particular size of Tyre.

Depends on the car in question and the Tyre.

Best to refer your Owners Manual or the sticker you would find on the inside of the Drivers Door. (if it's still there)

You could also refer the web.

Far as I know there is no 'Correct Pressure' for a particular size of Tyre.

Depends on the car in question and the Tyre.

Best to refer your Owners Manual or the sticker you would find on the inside of the Drivers Door. (if it's still there)

You could also refer the web.

The sticker says 30. But that is to 195/60/15. now I got 205/60/15

the door jab states the tire pressure for the standard tire comes with the factory fittings..If you change the size of the tire it won't be the right pressure..normally 205/60/15 goes as 32 psi..I know this as i have used the same tire size previously..BTW ..whats the car you use?

As I know, you can not scale down/up the presure like this. your new tyre certainly has more volume for air, but it does not imply that it supports more pressue. it depends on the tyre construction. my name plate says 30psi on 175/70 R14, I use the same on 195/60 R15. no abnormal wear so far..

I would stick with 30 psi. The bigger tyre would need more air - volume wise but the pressure should be the same.

If you're regularly driving with heavier loads (4 passengers or luggage) you could consider going upto about 32.

since you're already running on 32, Examine your tyres... check whether the tread wear is even.... if both edges are worn more than the middle your tyres are too soft.... if the middle is worn more they are too hard.

Edited by nira74

I would stick with 30 psi. The bigger tyre would need more air - volume wise but the pressure should be the same.

If you're regularly driving with heavier loads (4 passengers or luggage) you could consider going upto about 32.

since you're already running on 32, Examine your tyres... check whether the tread wear is even.... if both edges are worn more than the middle your tyres are too soft.... if the middle is worn more they are too hard.

actually I am still running with 30. No visible difference in tire thread wear.

In tire it has a label "max 40 psi". Does a tire have a recommended pressure labeled on it self?

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

Guys,

Pressure is "force on unit area", it does not depend on the volume (size) of the container. Tyre pressure also the same.

But bigger the vehicle, higher the tyre pressure to bear the load

Normally for all cars it is around 30psi. Even slightly higher pressure would be ok If you are driving on Asphalt roads (carpet), but my experience above 30psi pressure tends to create vibration on normal tard roads.

Remember, 30psi is cold pressure, meaning: you should not check pressure after a long drive, it gives wrong pressure, in fact higher pressure reading, but the actual pressure at "room temperature" would be a lower value.

Edited by dinran

normally 205/60/15 goes as 32 psi..I know this as i have used the same tire size previously..

that may have been the recommended pressure on your previous car, but that does not mean it is the "normal" pressure for that size tyre.

The recommended pressure will depend on the weight of the car and the level of loading as well. And it could be different for front/rear as well.

A very good topic this is. Something that is most important and mostly neglected in Sri Lanka is details pertaining to tires. For example exceeding the manufacture recommended rim size is bad because the tire wall thins out such that excessive vibrations are transferred to the body. Similarly exceeding the recommended tire pressures can reduce grip,which may increase braking distances. As one person has mentioned above the recommended tire pressure may vary depending on the load and road surface as well for the same vehicle.