• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Proton Spare Parts

FreakSL

hey guys need help, I have a Proton Savvy , need to know whats the best mileage to change the timing belt and where to buy, (other than the company - Swedish Trading ) they are pretty expensive in this case,

if you guys can help me where to buy a timing belt set it will be much appreciated

thanks

Manufacturer recommended timing belt change interval for Protons is 4 years or 80000km, whichever comes first. But personally I think they are just being a bit paranoid here.

Non-Mitsubishi Proton T-belt kits are rather expensive even in Malaysia. T-belt alone for the Savvy costs about 350 Ringgits (about Rs. 11000). If you add the tensioners and oil seals, it will end up being a fairly large bill for you.

There's a guy who brings down Proton spares from Malaysia who advertises regularly on H*t Ad. Check with him and see.

Alternatively you can try to get the timing belt kit of a Renault Clio 1.2 litre D-type engine (D4F), if it is cheaper. Not sure where you can find Renault spares.

Edited by Crosswind

Manufacturer recommended timing belt change interval for Protons is 4 years or 80000km, whichever comes first. But personally I think they are just being a bit paranoid here.

Non-Mitsubishi Proton T-belt kits are rather expensive even in Malaysia. T-belt alone for the Savvy costs about 350 Ringgits (about Rs. 11000). If you add the tensioners and oil seals, it will end up being a fairly large bill for you.

There's a guy who brings down Proton spares from Malaysia who advertises regularly on H*t Ad. Check with him and see.

Alternatively you can try to get the timing belt kit of a Renault Clio 1.2 litre D-type engine (D4F), if it is cheaper. Not sure where you can find Renault spares.

Sadly I don't think any other vehicle was imported to Sri Lanka with that engine and I've not seen any Clios running around in SL. The other option is Ebay UK. I noticed the kit and the tensioner sells for about £70 but you need to add postage to that which might bring the kit on par with a local supplier.

Sadly I don't think any other vehicle was imported to Sri Lanka with that engine and I've not seen any Clios running around in SL. The other option is Ebay UK. I noticed the kit and the tensioner sells for about £70 but you need to add postage to that which might bring the kit on par with a local supplier.

Protons are pretty good cars, especially for Sri Lankan conditions. So it is very sad that the spares availability is letting the Proton owners down badly.

Getting the T-belt kit off eBay could still be cheaper than the agent. The agent quoted 27,000 + 12% VAT + 2% NBT for the timing belt of a Campro engine, which was about LKR 10,000 in Malaysia.

But the risks are, you may not get the right equipment and secondly you may end up not getting the equipment at all, knowing Sri Lanka post :D

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Protons are pretty good cars, especially for Sri Lankan conditions. So it is very sad that the spares availability is letting the Proton owners down badly.

Getting the T-belt kit off eBay could still be cheaper than the agent. The agent quoted 27,000 + 12% VAT + 2% NBT for the timing belt of a Campro engine, which was about LKR 10,000 in Malaysia.

But the risks are, you may not get the right equipment and secondly you may end up not getting the equipment at all, knowing Sri Lanka post :D

Thankfully SL post has been quite good to me as I've not lost anything in it yet. You do need to pack it in such a way that does not give rise to too much curiosity (at least I hope this is why I've been lucky). The problem is most sellers will not post to SL.

Thankfully SL post has been quite good to me as I've not lost anything in it yet. You do need to pack it in such a way that does not give rise to too much curiosity (at least I hope this is why I've been lucky). The problem is most sellers will not post to SL.

Lucky you. I tried to bring down some spares for the Mini I had in the past. 2 out of 3 times, I never got the package.

Edited by Crosswind

thanks for the information guys, i checked with couple of guys in Panchikawatte , they told me to bring the sample timing belt and they can find one for it.

you thinks its a good idea ? because my savvy has 86 in the clock and I'm little worried about that

thanks for the information guys, i checked with couple of guys in Panchikawatte , they told me to bring the sample timing belt and they can find one for it.

you thinks its a good idea ? because my savvy has 86 in the clock and I'm little worried about that

Can you check with the agents, and let us know the price please. It might be cheaper to source it from the UK and I can help you there if you want.

Crosswind, I always make it a point to send things as signed for (registered) delivery. Though I don't really get any compensation if the package goes missing it seems to deter the thieves at Sri Lanka postal department. But there are plenty of people who travel from the UK to SL plus courier charges though expensive might be worthwhile for certain types of deliveries.

For heavy items I always send it to SL via ship, and though you have to pay clearing charges in SL, it's still worthwhile for heavy stuff. Normally nothing goes missing this way and there is insurance to cover it if it does.

Guys I checked from the company,

if you need the belt only its RS. 17,800 something , if you need the full set belt + tensioner (adjuster) you won't beleive its gonna cost you LKR 55,000 odd.

and you might get a 15% discount for the belt if you ask them to fix it for you, and this is the best part if you need the 2 oil seal and fitting charges everything gonna cost you nearly LKR 75,000 wtf ?

i think I have no choice other than taking a sample to a shop and get one..

Guys I checked from the company,

if you need the belt only its RS. 17,800 something , if you need the full set belt + tensioner (adjuster) you won't beleive its gonna cost you LKR 55,000 odd.

and you might get a 15% discount for the belt if you ask them to fix it for you, and this is the best part if you need the 2 oil seal and fitting charges everything gonna cost you nearly LKR 75,000 wtf ?

i think I have no choice other than taking a sample to a shop and get one..

Do you HAVE TO replace the tensioner? If it is giving trouble, you can also get it repaired. It's usually a matter of replacing one or more bearings. Is the engine giving inconsistent revs?

The options you got are:

1. Get everything done by the agent - EXPENSIVE!

2. Buy the t-belt from the agent and take your car to a garage and get the t-belt replaced and get the tensioner repaired locally. Oil seals can be bought from Panchi if you have samples - Still the T-Belt is expensive

3. Talk to the guy who advertises Proton Spares on H*t Ad and try to get the stuff through him - Could be cheaper

4. Get the T-Belt kit from eBay UK - Could be cheaper but with the postal risk

5. Take a sample to Panchi and get a matching T-Belt - May or may not work. If it doesn't work, you might end up having to look for a new engine (worst case).

6. Do NOTHING - Remember your car is NOT giving trouble! - You can actually get a knowledgeable person to check for indications of a bad t-belt.

7. Flog off the car. Another "Owner migrating, quick sale" ad :D

yea in that case best option is to buy the T belt only from the company and adjust the tensioner and other right ?

No it doesnt give any sudden reves or anything , its just it has 83,000 KMs on the clock, and thought its the time to change the T belt

• 1 year later...