• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer Cs3

Nuwan007lk

Hi guys greetings to all :) I'm looking for a good used car (coz there aren't any unreg ones for my budget!) to buy for about 2.3 - 2.4 Mln (2003 or above) I searched autolanka & da h*t ads and I came up with da 2003 Lancer CS3 GLX model (images attached), I haven't driven one before but it seems really nice with a 1.6 engine with manual transmission and a good looking interior. The sad part is I'm clueless when it comes to the fuel efficiency, engine issues, durability, resale value, spare parts, spare parts cost and maintenance of this beauty. Sorry guys I'm newbie to the Mitsubishi world (also to the forum :)) I used to drive a 1999 Nissan Pulsar CJ II (already sold) and have a March K11 at da moment which is awful when it comes to fuel economy.

Also I would like to know the differences between da Lancer CS 1,2,3 models, GLX and GLS models and da CK 1,2 models. So if there are any lancer experts here kindly please enlighten me :) Thanx a lot guys....

post-48611-014009800 1312255174_thumb.jppost-48611-070425600 1312255368_thumb.jppost-48611-055975500 1312255384_thumb.jppost-48611-041327300 1312255399_thumb.jp

Edited by Nuwan007lk
  • Like 1

Lancer CS is a good car, i had a 2002 1.3 GLX (CS1)which i used for 4 years (2004-2008), 90,000 km. I only replaced the front shocks with KYB at 35,000 km.

Being a manual it was giving me 9-10 km/l in Colombo and 12-14 km/l outstation.

CS2 i think is 1.6 and CS3 is 1.8 which is very rare in SL

Go for the brand new imported ones as they have non GDI engines.

GL will be the basic trim and the GLX the higher trim, even the later GL came with power windows and stuff.

Some of the vehicles were given on hire purchase so they might not be looked after well, i suggest you go for a personally used vehicle with good proper history.

Only down side would be that it would be a very diffcult to sell when you want to dispose, make it a advantage and try to get a good deal.

Happy hunting

Lancer CS is a good car, i had a 2002 1.3 GLX (CS1)which i used for 4 years (2004-2008), 90,000 km. I only replaced the front shocks with KYB at 35,000 km.

Being a manual it was giving me 9-10 km/l in Colombo and 12-14 km/l outstation.

CS2 i think is 1.6 and CS3 is 1.8 which is very rare in SL

Go for the brand new imported ones as they have non GDI engines.

GL will be the basic trim and the GLX the higher trim, even the later GL came with power windows and stuff.

Some of the vehicles were given on hire purchase so they might not be looked after well, i suggest you go for a personally used vehicle with good proper history.

Only down side would be that it would be a very diffcult to sell when you want to dispose, make it a advantage and try to get a good deal.

Happy hunting

Thanx for the quick reply Kush, ur car had a 1.3L engine, does it mean the 1.6 engine will not be so fuel efficient as da 1.3? the Lancer Cedia is also relatively cheap and it comes with a GDI engine, the interior is also quite similar, y did u say go for a non GDI? Thanx for sharing ur experience... :)

Edited by Nuwan007lk

Thanx for the quick reply Kush, ur car had a 1.3L engine, does it mean the 1.6 engine will not be so fuel efficient as da 1.3? the Lancer Cedia is also relatively cheap and it comes with a GDI engine, the interior is also quite similar, y did u say go for a non GDI? Thanx for sharing ur experience... :)

I had a 1.5l CS2 GDI for years, and I loved it, would buy it back in a heartbeat. The man said avoid the GDI cos some of them have a problem with sulphur in our petrol which cause issues with the injectors so some complain of a vibration on idle, on the flipside the GDI is very fuel efficient, you can expect 11km/l on a 1500cc.

I had a 1.5l CS2 GDI for years, and I loved it, would buy it back in a heartbeat. The man said avoid the GDI cos some of them have a problem with sulphur in our petrol which cause issues with the injectors so some complain of a vibration on idle, on the flipside the GDI is very fuel efficient, you can expect 11km/l on a 1500cc.

Thanx for sharing ur thoughts, so since our petrol contains some sulphur anyway, (check here) a GDI engine is more likely to get a problem with their injectors I suppose. Anyways, assuming that there won't be a problem with da engine, what would you suggest to be a good buy? (considering looks, fuel economy, driving pleasure, spares but without da price factor) I actually love both of them... rolleyes.gif

1. 2003 Lancer CS3 GLX 1.6L

2. 2003 Lancer Cedia CS2 1.5L

jumping-smiley-013.gif

Edited by Nuwan007lk

I drive a 2003 CS3 1.6 manual car. IMO 2.4 million is way too much for that car. I bought it few months back for around 1.8 m. Fuel efficiency wise does around 8/9 Kmpl. You can buy 2003 CS1 1.3 for around 1.8 and most of them are ex-fleet cars. I've driven few of the CS1's and I feel the car is under powered.

Driving pleasure is ok and the fuel efficiency is not that a great concern for me. I havent had to do any major repairs yet and in general I am more than happy with my purchase.

YMMV.

Thanx for sharing ur thoughts, so since our petrol contains some sulphur anyway, (check here) a GDI engine is more likely to get a problem with their injectors I suppose. Anyways, assuming that there won't be a problem with da engine, what would you suggest to be a good buy? (considering looks, fuel economy, driving pleasure, spares but without da price factor) I actually love both of them... rolleyes.gif

1. 2003 Lancer CS3 GLX 1.6L (around 2.4 Mln)

2. 2003 Lancer Cedia CS2 1.5L (around 2.1 Mln)

jumping-smiley-013.gif

when it comes to spares, i guess you'll have better luck finding recons with cedia. other factors would more or less be the same with both models imho.

I drive a 2003 CS3 1.6 manual car. IMO 2.4 million is way too much for that car. I bought it few months back for around 1.8 m. Fuel efficiency wise does around 8/9 Kmpl. You can buy 2003 CS1 1.3 for around 1.8 and most of them are ex-fleet cars. I've driven few of the CS1's and I feel the car is under powered.

Driving pleasure is ok and the fuel efficiency is not that a great concern for me. I havent had to do any major repairs yet and in general I am more than happy with my purchase.

YMMV.

Comparing to the 2003 CS3 GLX model, how is the fuel economy and handling in the CS1 and CS2 models? (2003 onwards) Thanx... :)

Comparing to the 2003 CS3 GLX model, how is the fuel economy and handling in the CS1 and CS2 models? (2003 onwards) Thanx... :)

CS1

----

Handling - Compared to CS3 feels underpowered and it reflects on the handling I suppose.

Fuel Economy - Haven’t personally calculated. From what I can gather, it does around 9-12 Kmpl depending on various factors.

CS2 (Anecdotal evidence)

---

Handling - Better than CS1.

Fuel Economy - More or less the same as CS1

Key thing I want to highlight is that, there is no way a 2003 CS3 is worth 2.4 million. You can buy a 2007 brand new CS1 for 2.4 M. Not many people like CS3 because of the 1.6 engine and perceived low fuel economy. I would rather buy a CS3 for 1.8-1.9 range and spend extra 100k on petrol over few years and enjoy the drive.

1. 2003 Lancer CS3 GLX 1.6L (around 2.4 Mln)

2. 2003 Lancer Cedia CS2 1.5L (around 2.1 Mln)

jumping-smiley-013.gif

before commenting on anything else, i must say the prices you have got are absurd. few months ago i cheked a cs3 manual with a J plate and that was around 1.8 million. and CS2 cedia is around 1.8

so before making any decision, you should realise that there are much more attractive delas availble for a budget of 2.4 provided that you can afford.

CS1

----

Handling - Compared to CS3 feels underpowered and it reflects on the handling I suppose.

Fuel Economy - Haven't personally calculated. From what I can gather, it does around 9-12 Kmpl depending on various factors.

CS2 (Anecdotal evidence)

---

Handling - Better than CS1.

Fuel Economy - More or less the same as CS1

Key thing I want to highlight is that, there is no way a 2003 CS3 is worth 2.4 million. You can buy a 2007 brand new CS1 for 2.4 M. Not many people like CS3 because of the 1.6 engine and perceived low fuel economy. I would rather buy a CS3 for 1.8-1.9 range and spend extra 100k on petrol over few years and enjoy the drive.

Thanx for da tip mate... so I guess its better to go for a 2007 CS1 for that price, I honestly thought it was a bit over priced when I mentioned it was 2.4 Mln, well now I know. :) But isn't da GLX model a bit expensive than da GL model? Thanx!

Edited by Nuwan007lk

before commenting on anything else, i must say the prices you have got are absurd. few months ago i cheked a cs3 manual with a J plate and that was around 1.8 million. and CS2 cedia is around 1.8

so before making any decision, you should realise that there are much more attractive delas availble for a budget of 2.4 provided that you can afford.

Yeah bro, I didn't realize it until I got da comments from my fellow forum users, well now i'm aware of it, thanx for your concern rolleyes.gif. By da way what other attractive deals are you aware of? Please note it has to be something above 2003 with good fuel efficiency.

One more thing, is da Cedia model the only CS2 that u get in SL? (newer models) B'coz some people have given some negative comments on its GDI engine considering da issue with da fuel injectors. Otherwise it's a nice car. Thanx again...

Edited by Nuwan007lk

Yeah bro, I didn't realize it until I got da comments from my fellow forum users, well now i'm aware of it, thanx for your concern rolleyes.gif. By da way what other attractive deals are you aware of? Please note it has to be something above 2003 with good fuel efficiency.

One more thing, is da Cedia model the only CS2 that u get in SL? (newer models) B'coz some people have given some negative comments on its GDI engine considering da issue with da fuel injectors. Otherwise it's a nice car. Thanx again...

Don't go for a GDI Engine, you need to pump Oct95. Recently I heard from Mr. Lal Alawatte that Even Mitsubushi Motors has realized these are defective, even in Pajeros.

Don't go for a GDI Engine, you need to pump Oct95. Recently I heard from Mr. Lal Alawatte that Even Mitsubushi Motors has realized these are defective, even in Pajeros.

Hmmmmm..... that explains a lot I guess. unsure.gif Thanx for da tip.

Considering my budget I refined my search and came up with da 2007 Lancer CS1 GL model, that goes for somewhere around 2.3 Mln. The GLX model is a bit expensive I guess.... But cool interior biggrin.gif

Edited by Nuwan007lk

Well Mr Alawatte is actually wrong :) What Mitsubishi has realised is that it did not deliver the fuel economy it was supposed to in countries where the quality of petrol was not as good as Japan. This even included Europe. But the technology itself lives on and has now been widely adopted by other car companies as well as this allows for ultra lean burn of petrol.

The problems that has been experienced include low fuel economy (at least not as good as expected) injector problems and failure of the high pressure fuel pump.

• 2 years later...
just go thru this url , its about some review on CS3

http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/lancer/2003/#mpg-pod-anchor

None of the reviews are about the CS3. They're all about the CS6 which has a 2.0L engine and none of them exist in Sri Lanka to my knowledge. The CS6 is popular in the US as the "Lancer OZ Rally" and in Australia as the "Lancer CG" which came as ES, LS and VR-X.

None of the reviews are about the CS3. They're all about the CS6 which has a 2.0L engine and none of them exist in Sri Lanka to my knowledge. The CS6 is popular in the US as the "Lancer OZ Rally" and in Australia as the "Lancer CG" which came as ES, LS and VR-X.

ooohh. its my bad

is CS3 1.6 comes with a GDI engine ?? How can i identify whether a Mitsubishi car is having a GDI engine or a EFI engine ?

In short.. No.

Again, please search the forum. There's so much info about the Lancer CS on the forum. For a potential buyer, looks like you are in total darkness when it comes to the model line up of the 2001 - 2004 Lancer. Time to do some research I guess.

Enter the following text in Google if you still cant find what you are looking for:

site:forum.autolanka.com Lancer GDI

• 1 year later...

guys need some help , im planning to buy (my first car) a cs3 2003 model but there are not much cs 3 for sale so i dont what would be the correct price for it now or how to make a offer

little over 128,000 km done , timing belt replaced at 114,000 and cluch plate .. engine ok (checked service records) went for a test drive no issues , left side mirror is bit cracked and interior , the fabric in all 4 doors are bit torn out apparently due to heat other than that car is in good condition , the price is 1.8M

guys need some help , im planning to buy (my first car) a cs3 2003 model but there are not much cs 3 for sale so i dont what would be the correct price for it now or how to make a offer

little over 128,000 km done , timing belt replaced at 114,000 and cluch plate .. engine ok (checked service records) went for a test drive no issues , left side mirror is bit cracked and interior , the fabric in all 4 doors are bit torn out apparently due to heat other than that car is in good condition , the price is 1.8M

I'm guessing this is a facelift. The price is okay. The interior rexin cracking up on the doors is a common, if the car is left in the hot sun regularly and mostly for the dashboard polish our service stations use. I have had to re-upholster them.

See the thread below:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15984-reupholstering-interior-panels/

I'm guessing this is a facelift. The price is okay. The interior rexin cracking up on the doors is a common, if the car is left in the hot sun regularly and mostly for the dashboard polish our service stations use. I have had to re-upholster them.

See the thread below:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15984-reupholstering-interior-panels/'>http://forum.auItolanka.com/topic/15984-reupholstering-interior-panels/

Thanks bro..... And that was very well explained... Good stuff thanks a lot for sharing ... Cheers bro

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'm quite late here. You probably have bought her already. If so, Congratulations! She's one of a kind :)

Anyway, I bought a 2003 manual CS3 about a month back for 18.5M. I also thought the appropriate price should be 18M, but went for +50K since it has done only 78000km and everything was in excellent condition - that car had been rarely used. Did a full check up by the professionals before buying.

At that time there were 2003 CS3s from about 16M-18M, if I recall correctly. Ones for 16M was abused :( And many had done more than 150,000KM. Some even 200,000+