• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil Leaking To Radiater

LancerL

Dear friends, another trouble :sad-smiley-050: when I went to garage for some other work on yesterday, mechanic has check the water level on radiator and said that the oil has mixed on to the water, I too checked and the water level was bit low and there were oil on the radiator cap and inside also. He asked me to start the engine to verify it and show me some bubbles coming out from the on radiator with tiny brown oil drops and said that my gasket has gone and need to replace it. So I asked is it a big job, hence I'm a layman for these things. He said to do that, has to remove the entire head!!! but it's better to sale this car out rather repairing. He didn't even mention the cost for the repair.

My care is a Lancer L Light module 9Sri with 1200CC Saturn Engine.

Dear friends, kindly help me with followings hence I was so worried after hearing that and couldn’t think what to do..

1. What he said was true?

2. Is it something that cannot fix or not long lasting after fixed even?

3. How much will it cost roughly (Please mention the Spares and Labour separately)

4. Do I really have to sell my car due to this?

Thanks in advance..

Sorry for the long explanation.

Mahesh

Yes all indicate that your headgasket is the culprit. Thats not a BIG repair. no need to sell the car just because of that. Not an expensive job as well. sorry its hard to suggest the cost. Take her to a good mechanic. Thats a half day job with few tea breaks>

MINIACE

• Like 1

Agree with miniace. When you find a good mechanic to do this, ensure that its someone who treats your motor with respect. I have seen workshops where they have dismantled the engines under trees out in the open for hours while they do other jobs, have breaks etc etc. (Hard to believe that people keep on coming for these joints...) This needs to be done indoors in a relatively clean area without dust etc.

As this job requires a fair amount of disassembly and fitting back together the guy should be fairly experienced and shouldn't be a person who deligates each and everything to his inexperienced "Golayas" and pay attention to other things. Particularly the rockers, camshafts etc. needs assembling again with the timing not being changed. Otherwise you'll need to open the engine up back again and to correct these errors...

• Like 2

Guys I search on the internet for this and even I feel now it's not a big issue, can someone kindly tell me the roughly cost for this please???

According to youtube videos I might need only the gasket as spare part!! am I correct??

Thanks

Mahesh

Guys I search on the internet for this and even I feel now it's not a big issue, can someone kindly tell me the roughly cost for this please???

According to youtube videos I might need only the gasket as spare part!! am I correct??

Thanks

Mahesh

'LancerL',

First of all check your dip stick to find out the engine oil had got mixed with water if the color is like milky or dark brown then you cannot do much running .Definitely you have gasket leak according to your post.

Previous posts had given good advice. As for Miniace this takes few hours if you have every thing with you what is necessary for the job.

You can get this job done in few hours at your home with the help of a good experienced mechanic who has a efficient helper.

No need to go to a garage they will take one or two days you will have to waste time there until they finish the job.

Labor charges can vary according to the mechanic, any way under 5000.00 rupees. You have to reface the head of your engine and grind the valves.

Refacing of the head has to be done outside, any engine rebuilding place. Like "Edirisinghe brothers" or "Lal and Nihal".

Engine oil has to be changed after washing the engine.

My estimate for all maximum with parts under Rupees 10000.00.

If any further clarifications do post possible help will be given.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 3

Dear LancerL,

yes as miniace,sylvi & K9master state on below it seems you have a problem in your head gasket.since this is a only a one day job for a good mechanic i dont think it will cost much more. my opinion is go head with repair & after you may decide whether sell it or not.

just for your info i too had the same with my B12 & rectified the issue. ref:- http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?/topic/11891-trad-sunny-radiatior-problem/page__hl__%2Btrad+%2Bsunny__fromsearch__1

Good luck !!!

'LancerL',

First of all check your dip stick to find out the engine oil had got mixed with water if the color is like milky or dark brown then you cannot do much running .Definitely you have gasket leak according to your post.

Previous posts had given good advice. As for Miniace this takes few hours if you have every thing with you what is necessary for the job.

You can get this job done in few hours at your home with the help of a good experienced mechanic who has a efficient helper.

No need to go to a garage they will take one or two days you will have to waste time there until they finish the job.

Labor charges can vary according to the mechanic, any way under 5000.00 rupees. You have to reface the head of your engine and grind the valves.

Refacing of the head has to be done outside, any engine rebuilding place. Like "Edirisinghe brothers" or "Lal and Nihal".

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

1+

• Like 1

Hi Lancer L ,

Happy to see a lancer owner here. I also use the lancer Flat light . Its Exactly gasket.

You need to relapse the gasket . its not a that big job . you no need to sell the car because of your Mach said . if you really love you car and you want to keep it running it can be repair . it will cost around 6K as i guess .

You know guys. I get really annoyed with our mechanics because 1. They seem to not want to work, and stick to changing brake pads and fan belts to earn a living (as in you mention anything more complicated, their suggestion is to sell the car) and 2. Their suggest you sell the car. Fact is you don't come to a mechanic to get advice on selling a car, you come to him or dare I say her to get your mechanical problem resolved.

I really miss the old school mechanics who were not "shareera horu" like some of the mechanics we have at our disposal these days. And to the OP, please get the job done by some other mechanic. These older engines are not that complicated and relatively straight forward to disassemble and reassemble. If your mechanic has broken out in a sweat and panicked over it, he's probably not fit to do the job in the first place!

• Like 2

'LancerL',

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi, Thanks for your valuable advice, need to get a clarification about one thing on your post..

Why you mentioned that "You have to reface the head of your engine and grind the valves"

Hence their is no issue with the head or the metal parts of the engine and only problem with the gaskets seal. Isn't it??

Thanks

LancerL

Dear Sylvi, Thanks for your valuable advice, need to get a clarification about one thing on your post..

Why you mentioned that "You have to reface the head of your engine and grind the valves"

Hence their is no issue with the head or the metal parts of the engine and only problem with the gaskets seal. Isn't it??

Thanks

LancerL

I am not 100% sure what he implied by grinding the valves. But you need to reface the head to completely clean away the old gasket and make a good clean solid surface for the new gasket to bond to.

if you have been running with the bad head gasket for a while or your mechanic doesn't remove the head when the motor is fully cooled down...there is a chance of the head surface getting a bit warped.

generally, head resurfacing is done to even out any imperfections and or any warping. The idea is for the head to perfectly seal with the block.

Valve grinding is done to clear out any deposits and make the valve sealing surfaces seal perfectly with the head.

If you're opening up the head, best to look at the condition of the valve surfaces and do this if needed.

• Like 1

Thanks

LancerL

'LancerL',

2 Members( The Don & Ripper) had answered your Question.

I too have to mention what both members advised to you.

Hope your Mechanic will do a good Job.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

You know guys. I get really annoyed with our mechanics because 1. They seem to not want to work, and stick to changing brake pads and fan belts to earn a living (as in you mention anything more complicated, their suggestion is to sell the car) and 2. Their suggest you sell the car. Fact is you don't come to a mechanic to get advice on selling a car, you come to him or dare I say her to get your mechanical problem resolved.

I really miss the old school mechanics who were not "shareera horu" like some of the mechanics we have at our disposal these days. And to the OP, please get the job done by some other mechanic. These older engines are not that complicated and relatively straight forward to disassemble and reassemble. If your mechanic has broken out in a sweat and panicked over it, he's probably not fit to do the job in the first place!

Maybe this mechanic is trying to do some car deal on the side, by trying to sell it off at a bargain by making it sound like a big repair...

Dear friends, I went to a different mechanic today whose near by my home. As soon as he opens the Radiator cap, some water has jumped out and he said that the pressure on it is bit high due to leaking compression on to it and checked by filling some water to the Radiator. Said, some oil is leaking to the water but sometimes water might not going to oil (Still my oil in black color and hasn't come to milky color).

He told me its point less of replacing the gasket only hence their can be some issue also with the Head. so he asked me to remove it take it to Edirisinghe Brothers for a inspection and for facing.

I asked can I get this done by Lal and Nihal hence it's very closed by office. He said Edirisinghe is better than that and go to that.

1. According to your experience who is the best party for this or both in same position?

2. Roughly how much will be the cost for them?

3. Will I be able to carry this on a bus ? I mean is it too heavy?

Kindly share your experience please!!!

Thanks

LancerL

Dear friends, I went to a different mechanic today whose near by my home. As soon as he opens the Radiator cap, some water has jumped out and he said that the pressure on it is bit high due to leaking compression on to it and checked by filling some water to the Radiator. Said, some oil is leaking to the water but sometimes water might not going to oil (Still my oil in black color and hasn't come to milky color).

He told me its point less of replacing the gasket only hence their can be some issue also with the Head. so he asked me to remove it take it to Edirisinghe Brothers for a inspection and for facing.

I asked can I get this done by Lal and Nihal hence it's very closed by office. He said Edirisinghe is better than that and go to that.

1. According to your experience who is the best party for this or both in same position?

2. Roughly how much will be the cost for them?

3. Will I be able to carry this on a bus ? I mean is it too heavy?

Kindly share your experience please!!!

Thanks

LancerL

Do you want a Mechanic who will do this job in front of you at home, and he will do all work carrying the head to reface, grind valves?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi, do you have a contact to a person who will come and do this work @ home?

'LancerL'

Yes, His name is Shelton telephone No. 5024072.

Call him and first get him to check the engine and give a quotation.

I know him for long time he will come in a three wheeler with his son and do the job at your home.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear all, went to Edirisinhe brothers today and sadly they said that a water line of my head has been damaged and couldn’t repair and has to replace the head :speechless-smiley-004:

I don't know what to do.. Where can I buy a head? How much it will be?

Please help me guys. I'm in a big trouble..

My engine is Lancer Saturn A75

Edited by LancerL

Dear all, went to Edirisinhe brothers today and sadly they said that a water line of my head has been damaged and couldn’t repair and has to replace the head :speechless-smiley-004:

I don't know what to do.. Where can I buy a head? How much it will be?

Please help me guys. I'm in a big trouble..

My engine is Lancer Saturn A75

Obviously Panchikawaththe :)

• Like 1