• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is Done In Efi Engine Tune Up

lasi

Hi Guys,

Nowadays, most of the cars have EFI engines and we talk about tuning up the engine. Unlike carburator engines EFIs has little to maneuver because most of the engine parameters are controlled by the ECU. including engine RPM. ignition timiing, injector timing etc.

my question is, when we handover the car to agents/mechanic for an engine tune up, what do they actually look for and adjust apart from replacing/cleaning fuel system components (eg. change air/fuel filter, TH body clean, replace plugs etc)

Agents add value for engine tune up in addition to part replacement. what are actually changed in this tune up?

The underside of my car (vios) bonet, there is a manufacture's stiker saying

"plugs clearence :this much; valve clearence: this much; no further tune up needed" :huh:

Hi Guys,

Nowadays, most of the cars have EFI engines and we talk about tuning up the engine. Unlike carburator engines EFIs has little to maneuver because most of the engine parameters are controlled by the ECU. including engine RPM. ignition timiing, injector timing etc.

my question is, when we handover the car to agents/mechanic for an engine tune up, what do they actually look for and adjust apart from replacing/cleaning fuel system components (eg. change air/fuel filter, TH body clean, replace plugs etc)

Agents add value for engine tune up in addition to part replacement. what are actually changed in this tune up?

"plugs clearence :this much; valve clearence: this much; no further tune up needed" :huh:

'lasi',

As for your post you have the answer on your post what mechanic do on a engine tune up.

You have to change the spark plugs depending on your km used.

Adjusting other things are has to be decided by the engineer of the agents of your vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Guys,

i think they check the ecu for fault codes and reset it eachtime.

No one knows what goes on at the Toyota agents though, since it's all behind closed doors. Rumour has it they sprinkle fairy dust into the air filter and mix half a liter of unicorn's blood into the engine oil and clean the manifolds with pipe cleaners made out of angel hair (not sure if its the pasta or the other kind).

• Like 1

No one knows what goes on at the Toyota agents though, since it's all behind closed doors. Rumour has it they sprinkle fairy dust into the air filter and mix half a liter of unicorn's blood into the engine oil and clean the manifolds with pipe cleaners made out of angel hair (not sure if its the pasta or the other kind).

'terrabytetango',

From where did you get above information. It is great.

Did you have any experience of the Toyota agents, draw out your biological needs Unicorn's natural super fluid mixed into the engine oil with fairy dust end of your angel hair cuts to formulate a superman in to this automobile world who will solve all auto problems with his theory.

Any results of the new adventure story. Please post same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, I haven't had the need to send my car for a tune up. But a colleague of mine has owned several Toyota vehicles, and his description has been that they take the vehicle behind closed doors, and then come out 30-45 minutes later and hand you a bill. Apparently earlier they allowed the owner into the garage bays so that they could observe the work being done.

Sylvi, I haven't had the need to send my car for a tune up. But a colleague of mine has owned several Toyota vehicles, and his description has been that they take the vehicle behind closed doors, and then come out 30-45 minutes later and hand you a bill. Apparently earlier they allowed the owner into the garage bays so that they could observe the work being done.

i have sneaked in a few time to the garage only to be chased away by the security people. never stopped trying though :P

I feel they keep the owners away not only for maintain some sanity to their staffers to carry out their job but also to hide how retarded their mechs are at times :D

i have sneaked in a few time to the garage only to be chased away by the security people. never stopped trying though :P

I feel they keep the owners away not only for maintain some sanity to their staffers to carry out their job but also to hide how retarded their mechs are at times :D

'Ripper',

You need a engine tune up if you have a problem only like low fuel consumption or a miss on the engine.

Toyota lanka overheads are very high so they charge as they like. If any member has a problem there are plenty of good reputed engine tuners in Colombo and outstation.

I don't think it is much difficult thing only have to remove the injectors and do a clean up remove the throttle body and spray any cleaning product that is enough for a start if the owner wants he can examine the plugs remove to see any malfunction on them.

I do all above my self.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Seems nobody knows what is to be tuned up in EFI engines. so. OK I'll assume as nothing to tune.

why the hell agent put extra thousands to engine tune up? this is in addition to labour charge and spare part cost

"lasi',

What made you to think your vehicle needs a engine tune up do you have any problem in your vehicle?

your post says The underside of my car (vios) bonnet, there is a manufacture's striker saying

"plugs clearance :this much; valve clearance: this much; no further tune up needed"

Until you get a problem follow the same. don't forget to do regular service by changing oil and air filters Petrol filter at recommended KMs.

If you have a problem please explain the problem to the forum members will help you to solve same. AS we have set of good members who are experienced in automobile repairs.

If you read the posts you will find the answers by several members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

an engine tune up does many things from what i know

apart from checking and replacing things like filters/spark plugs. they also clean out the system (injectors etc) using cleaners/sprays from companies like wurth or 3m

i usually give my car to autoforce once a year for a tune up. they do a good job.

i believe a tune up can save you pain later on... routine cleanup

an engine tune up does many things from what i know

apart from checking and replacing things like filters/spark plugs. they also clean out the system (injectors etc) using cleaners/sprays from companies like wurth or 3m

i usually give my car to autoforce once a year for a tune up. they do a good job.

i believe a tune up can save you pain later on... routine cleanup

'fuzzo',

You post is totally correct what I think is every third service must do a engine tune up. First of all use a scan tool and find out any faults are there.

if any problems are indicated then can attend to them. It is very difficult to find honest garages today.

Under is not relevant to the topic this is some experience what I had in a known garage what happened few days back.

My son-in-law had a very small oil leak from his Honda driving side drive shaft gear box side I send him to known mechanic, he had removed and told him that he has to take the gear box end drive shaft to a lathe shop and do a filling and lathe the gear box end spline shaft to suit the inside of the gear box end drive because there was a very little play due to this the oil seal had damaged.

I my self went there and took my calipers and did a examination to find that was negligible wastage told the mechanic I will take the responsibility will not blame you only change the Oil seal fix back the shaft. This was Honda new he bought from the agents for his permit in early 2000. car had original milage of 84000 KMs.

Job was done the cost with spares was around rupees 8000.00 in a half day.I don't dispute the charges.

So today it is very difficult to find honest repair garages to do a job any automobile repair. Garage owners make a job big and try to grab money by keeping a vehicle for few days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

'fuzzo',

You post is totally correct what I think is every third service must do a engine tune up. First of all use a scan tool and find out any faults are there.

if any problems are indicated then can attend to them. It is very difficult to find honest garages today.

Under is not relevant to the topic this is some experience what I had in a known garage what happened few days back.

My son-in-law had a very small oil leak from his Honda driving side drive shaft gear box side I send him to known mechanic, he had removed and told him that he has to take the gear box end drive shaft to a lathe shop and do a filling and lathe the gear box end spline shaft to suit the inside of the gear box end drive because there was a very little play due to this the oil seal had damaged.

I my self went there and took my calipers and did a examination to find that was negligible wastage told the mechanic I will take the responsibility will not blame you only change the Oil seal fix back the shaft. This was Honda new he bought from the agents for his permit in early 2000. car had original milage of 84000 KMs.

Job was done the cost with spares was around rupees 8000.00 in a half day.I don't dispute the charges.

So today it is very difficult to find honest repair garages to do a job any automobile repair. Garage owners make a job big and try to grab money by keeping a vehicle for few days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i have found a very good mechanic thanks to VVTI and will stick with him for all my work!

'terrabytetango',

This practice was there for some time to avoid customers not to get friendly with workers and get them to do private work for customers.

I know one company had a investigator to find out that their workers do private work.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

for petrol EFI Engines you have to do following things to do complete Engine tuneups.

1. remove and clean Injectors. (if you can calibrate the injector nozzles that is better.)

2. Clean the Throttal boddy

3. Clean then EGR valve

4. Check plug wire set. (if readings not equal you have to replace wire set)

5. Check Distributer. (Distributer cup, Oil leak, etc)

6. Replace Spark Plugs.

7. Replace Air Filter.

8. Check Fuel Filter. (if bad you have to replace)

9. Check fuel filter inside the fuel tank. (if bad you have to replace)

10. (Fuel pump Calibration, Presser check)

11. Adjust the Valve Clearance if needed.

12. check vacume lines.

14. Rest the ECU.

but,

Most ppl not do,

1. Injector Calibration

2. Fuel pump calibration.

3. Check plug wire set.

4. Clean EGR valve.

5. Fuel filter inside the fuel tank.

6. Adjust the Valve Clearance

so how can get result of the good engine tuneup.

Edited by Nilantha

'terrabytetango', This practice was there for some time to avoid customers not to get friendly with workers and get them to do private work for customers. I know one company had a investigator to find out that their workers do private work. Sylvi Wijesinghe.

how stupid ..........isn"t that a little bit too much..i mean after hours you can do any repair in your personal time right ?

Edited by rameez

For some agents it makes sense, this happened to my cousin,

He went to the mazda agent to get a faulty abs sensor checked on his familia. The mechanic guy told him that the checking the abs sensor cost as much as replacing one so he suggested my cousin to report the problem as "a issue in the brakes" instead of an ABS issue. and then he'll do the abs sensor testing too :)

My cousin did as told and get the faulty sensor replaced and paid the bugger 500 and went home possibly saving a few thousands that they charge for the sensor testing :)

For some agents it makes sense, this happened to my cousin,

He went to the mazda agent to get a faulty abs sensor checked on his familia. The mechanic guy told him that the checking the abs sensor cost as much as replacing one so he suggested my cousin to report the problem as "a issue in the brakes" instead of an ABS issue. and then he'll do the abs sensor testing too :)

My cousin did as told and get the faulty sensor replaced and paid the bugger 500 and went home possibly saving a few thousands that they charge for the sensor testing :)

Wouldn't surprise me. These guys actually charge extra to scan the car when diagnosing a problem.... was around Rs.3000 IIRC.

I don't know whther you friend bothered to go inside and look by him self; but I did several tuneups (Mine and couplf of family vehicles) at Agents, but everytime I go, I used to follow my car and look what they do to it untill they relase it from the garage. Note: this is Toyota Maharagama.

Have never experienced such a cleaning or tuneup process at all.

:huh:

• 1 year later...
for petrol EFI Engines you have to do following things to do complete Engine tuneups.

1. remove and clean Injectors. (if you can calibrate the injector nozzles that is better.)

2. Clean the Throttal boddy

3. Clean then EGR valve

4. Check plug wire set. (if readings not equal you have to replace wire set)

5. Check Distributer. (Distributer cup, Oil leak, etc)

6. Replace Spark Plugs.

7. Replace Air Filter.

8. Check Fuel Filter. (if bad you have to replace)

9. Check fuel filter inside the fuel tank. (if bad you have to replace)

10. (Fuel pump Calibration, Presser check)

11. Adjust the Valve Clearance if needed.

12. check vacume lines.

14. Rest the ECU.

but,

Most ppl not do,

1. Injector Calibration

2. Fuel pump calibration.

3. Check plug wire set.

4. Clean EGR valve.

5. Fuel filter inside the fuel tank.

6. Adjust the Valve Clearance

so how can get result of the good engine tuneup.

Hi,,Nilantha...do you know good place doing all above tests?

Edited by Nimz77

Hi,,Nilantha...do you know good place doing all above tests?

There's a rule of thumb in this forum. Never take Nilantha's advice!

What he has mentioned, is true for older cars (Toyota AE100s, 110s and similar ones)

Most newer cars don't have distributors. Most of the newer cars don't have a seperate fuel filter either. It is inbuilt to the fuel pump. You can't adjust valve clearances is most new cars. Some of the things mentioned by Nilantha cannot be done without ripping apart mechanical components of the car.

There's a rule of thumb in this forum. Never take Nilantha's advice!

What he has mentioned, is true for older cars (Toyota AE100s, 110s and similar ones)

Most newer cars don't have distributors. Most of the newer cars don't have a seperate fuel filter either. It is inbuilt to the fuel pump. You can't adjust valve clearances is most new cars. Some of the things mentioned by Nilantha cannot be done without ripping apart mechanical components of the car.

ohh..im sorry....im asking for old car....this is for mazda bg..EFI