• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Mazda Demio Thread

Lakshan Maduranga

1 hour ago, ravindasenarath said:

Guys I think you wouldn't mind me sharing details of cars I checked here. 

I checked this just now and first thing I noticed it when I start the car it went revving high ( More than 2 in rpm meter ). Once I put it to D rpm went down and after than on N and P rpm is down as we usually see. Owner said they used the car day before as well. Is this is symptom of any issue?

Was the engine cold when you initially started it? Did you take it for a drive and observe if the RPM eventually settled down at about 700 when the engine became warm? 

Just now, Davy said:

Was the engine cold when you initially started it? Did you take it for a drive and observe if the RPM eventually settled down at about 700 when the engine became warm? 

It settles as soon as I put on to D ( I shift to N back and it kept low rpm ). I also thought it is because of the cold start but it didn't get low till I put to gear. 

On 09/01/2017 at 0:26 AM, ravindasenarath said:

It settles as soon as I put on to D ( I shift to N back and it kept low rpm ). I also thought it is because of the cold start but it didn't get low till I put to gear. 

You haven't really answered my questions, but anyway, how long did you wait before shifting into gear? If you're not sure what to look for, just take a trustworthy mechanic or a friend who knows what to check. That's better than assuming the worst about a car that is actually a good one. 

6 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Guys is it possible to fix a RPM meter for a base model demio? Is it just meter gauge  missile or is there anything else like a sensor ?

But why? Isn't it much easier to find one with a RPM meter instead of going through the hassle of finding a gauge cluster, getting the mileage corrected and then figuring out the wiring if it doesn't work straight away?

Be patient. It took me a month to find the right Demio. Although the basic ones spend a bit of time on the classifieds before being sold, the fully loaded ones go like hot cakes. The one I got was sold within a matter of hours after the ad was posted. I'm overseas, so there were added complications that you don't even have to deal with. I had to get my father to be on stand by, my family to receive the cash and manage it etc. 

On 10/01/2017 at 4:42 AM, Davy said:

You haven't really answered my questions, but anyway, how long did you wait before shifting into gear? If you're not sure what to look for, just take a trustworthy mechanic or a friend who knows what to check. That's better than assuming the worst about a car that is actually a good one. 

On 10/01/2017 at 4:42 AM, Davy said:

Ya @Davy. Thinking again I think I have been too eager on the high rpm ( Posting it here as well ). I can remember temperature bulb was also on in blue colour. I think I'm OK with cars :unsure: but get confused quickly since I'm trying to car for me. 

But why? Isn't it much easier to find one with a RPM meter instead of going through the hassle of finding a gauge cluster, getting the mileage corrected and then figuring out the wiring if it doesn't work straight away?

Be patient. It took me a month to find the right Demio. Although the basic ones spend a bit of time on the classifieds before being sold, the fully loaded ones go like hot cakes. The one I got was sold within a matter of hours after the ad was posted. I'm overseas, so there were added complications that you don't even have to deal with. I had to get my father to be on stand by, my family to receive the cash and manage it etc. 

Yes I agree. My family is in a kind of hurry though. The only car with more options that I found is this one. CVT transmission. No fog lights though. Not multifunctional SW. But the price that is 31.90. Some what over my budget. :(

P.S

Friend of mine called 31.90 car just for nothing. Someone has advanced for it. Guess the price. 30.40 :suicide2:

Edited by ravindasenarath
fix link

Guys does your demio give metallic 'cling' sound when starting up? Like exactly when free wheel detach from starter motor . I have herd this in most demios. 

No, I don't remember hearing such sound. Maybe on ones where the gel engine mount has gone bad?

19 hours ago, Davy said:

No, I don't remember hearing such sound. Maybe on ones where the gel engine mount has gone bad?

This one's engine mounts seems ok @Davy. I didn't feel considerable vibration on 'D'. I'm pretty sure I heard this sound on 4 out of 5 Demios I checked. It sounds like starter drive gear ( which move forward to get in contact with freewheel and detach after cranking)  hits freewheel slightly while detaching. 

fIx link

31 minutes ago, ravindasenarath said:

This one's engine mounts seems ok @Davy. I didn't feel considerable vibration on 'D'. I'm pretty sure I heard this sound on 4 out of 5 Demios I checked. It sounds like starter drive gear ( which move forward to get in contact with freewheel and detach after cranking)  hits freewheel slightly while detaching. 

Can't really comment on the issue without actually hearing the sound. Are you sure you're not holding the key in the "start" position for too long, causing the motor to spin even after the engine has fired up? 

Also, that Demio is overpriced even by Sri Lankan standards. 3.1 million! 

2 hours ago, Davy said:

Can't really comment on the issue without actually hearing the sound. Are you sure you're not holding the key in the "start" position for too long, causing the motor to spin even after the engine has fired up? 

Also, that Demio is overpriced even by Sri Lankan standards. 3.1 million! 

Might be it. Last time owner cranked the engine. I was in front of the vehicle so I heard it very clearly.

I agree with you @Davy. This car has touch A/C. Owner is not sure whether transmission is CVT or not. I also cannot say by looking at it. He is asking for 30.75. I offered him 30.30. Fare price for the vehicle I think. He is asking me to move up. 

5 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Might be it. Last time owner cranked the engine. I was in front of the vehicle so I heard it very clearly.

I agree with you @Davy. This car has touch A/C. Owner is not sure whether transmission is CVT or not. I also cannot say by looking at it. He is asking for 30.75. I offered him 30.30. Fare price for the vehicle I think. He is asking me to move up. 

If he doesn't know if the car is cvt or not he probably hasn't changed Atf throughout his ownership anyways, if it was upto me I would avoid this car. 

In fact avoid any car sold by someone who doesn't know what's in his car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

If he doesn't know if the car is cvt or not he probably hasn't changed Atf throughout his ownership anyways, if it was upto me I would avoid this car. 

In fact avoid any car sold by someone who doesn't know what's in his car. 

@The Stig :unsure: This is the first owner. He said he has the service records which I can check if he agree on price. ATF fluid should change around 40k isn't it?

2 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Does CVT gear box specifically have some thing called CVT Shifter. Because I saw some cable like this connecting to gear box of this particular vehicle. 

One simple way is to check the gear shift lever letters. CVTs usually have P,R,N,D,L, P,R,N,D,S,L or P,R,N,D,S,B(Toyota) and doesn't have gears like 1,2 marked.

Ex CVT:

20140325_074429-e1453369878667.jpg

non-CVT:

i5c5ll.jpg

Edited by hrm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Found one. Demio 2007.

But the color :sad-smiley-047:

That's a fully loaded Demio and I bet it has CVT as well. It'll be gone soon because the price seems to be quite okay too. It has the optional spoiler as well. 

I'll not comment on the colour because that's actually a personal preference. I personally wouldn't mind it. 

15 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Actually that looks better. 

I want to buy that Demio and paint it with some decent color just to put it out of misery :sad-smiley-002:. ( Can't afford though )

There is nothing wrong with that color and that car looks pretty nice (granted the red drums in the rear seem a bit ricey). If you don't like red that is your choice and your problem not the car's. In a country like Sri Lanka you really can't be picky about things like color (especially with second hand cars). If it is good..buy it I say...save some money paint it darker later on I say....focus on the positives of the car and its potential.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Davy said:

That's a fully loaded Demio and I bet it has CVT as well. It'll be gone soon because the price seems to be quite okay too. It has the optional spoiler as well. 

I'll not comment on the colour because that's actually a personal preference. I personally wouldn't mind it. 

It ended up just another `looks so cool on photos car`. Car must have been sitting some where for some time or it has been teated badly. This guy ( who is selling it now ) bought it on open papers gave is a sale paint job and a polish job. Some rust here and there. Remote doesn't work. Back door does't lock. Left projector light doesn't work. @Davy You got that wrong this is not CVT. When I ask it from seller just to check what he is saying response was "No this is AT, CVT's are troublesome ne :action-smiley-015:

It ended up just another `looks so cool on photos car`. Car must have been sitting some where for some time or it has been teated badly. This guy ( who is selling it now ) bought it on open papers gave is a sale paint job and a polish job. Some rust here and there. Remote doesn't work. Back door does't lock. Left projector light doesn't work. @Davy You got that wrong this is not CVT. When I ask it from seller just to check what he is saying response was "No this is AT, CVT's are troublesome ne :action-smiley-015:

You can tell if it's a CVT or not based on how the RPM moves with the speed of the car. It behaves differently to a conventional auto. The needle rises and stays in one point while the speed of the car keeps increasing. Did you take it for a test drive? If it's a guy trying to make a profit out of the car by doing a "sale paint" job, I doubt he even knows if the car is actually a CVT or not.

As for minor things like remote not working, door lock not working, those things can be easily repaired. It's a 10 year old car after all. Plus, you can bargain and get the seller to lower the price even further. When I got mine, the antenna was broken (got a genuine one from eBay), the driver's side mirror was not auto folding (got it repaired for 500) and there were a few scratches on the front bumper. Don't let small things like that stop you from buying a good car. Not saying ignore everything, and go for it, but you really must learn to draw the line appropriately by weighing the positives and negatives. 

Anyway, you saw it personally, so I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt. If it's as bad as you say it is, then well... poor Demio. Being a fully loaded one too.