• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reflections On Sri Lanka's Automotive History By Mr. Sylvi Wijesinghe

Supra_Natural

Wow! Awesome thread.Sylvi sir is on fire.

The Lancaster model shown in the picture was with the late great Mr.Jay Wanigasekera(now with son Riley)...was up for sale a couple of years back...

I wonder if Sylvi sir can enlighten us as to who brought down the american brand JEEP in the 50s and 60s..

As we're talking about films and stuff...Here's an MG A in the Lester James Peiris masterpiece 'Delowak Athara'.This car (2 sri 355) is with me now.It was bought on special order to a Mr.Maurice Roach and then bought by a Mr.Parakrama Dassanayeke and then by my dad...

Honorable 'MasterDon',

Sorry for my belated reply to your above post. As far as I cam remember my late father used to say Jeeps came to Ceylon during the war.

Later years you are referring is to my recollection was imported by Unit#d Mot#rs. Any how they stocked plenty of spares for them till about 1980.

Glad to hear that (2 sri 355) that you are the proud owner of that automobile.

Sylvi Wijesinhe.

Hey Sylvi,

Nice work on this thread!

Btw since you know a fair bit about the history of busses and trucks too i was wondering is you could share with us how the bus/lorry assembly industry rose (and fell) in sri Lanka.

I recall some Latec busses, then a D*MO bus with a bubble like face, then a more luxurious simlar bus then Lanka Ashok laylends all being part of this industry which currently is dying down.. I'm sure there'a a lot of us who'd like to hear about this too..

'Watchman',

Thanks for your post I am still gathering information from old motorists, I requested to the first CTB Legal officer and she has promised to give me some more information about buses before CTB was inaugurated. They were mostly documented but with changes of management most of them are misplaced.

She informed to me they took over 78 bus companies over night December 31st Wiith late Prime minister traveling on a new MB Bus is still preserved at Nittambuva bus depot. Will collect all information with my memories about BUSES then Ceylon will write a detail Post Already written 25% of bus history in my computer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Members,

This was the out of two automobiles.Toyota toy-pet imported to Peoples bank staff used I Will try to get the first P/B CHAIRMAN'S Mr, Williams official car picture If I remember it was a bigger model Toyota crown and post same later.

• Like 1

Mr.Silvy,

Please enlighten us on introduction of Diesel Cars to Ceylon/Sri Lanka.

I have seen following models in 31 Sri XXXX

Some Benz models, Morris Oxford, some Peugeot models , Volkswagen Golf , Isuzu Gemini (First generation -facelift model), Isuzu Florian (Facelift model)

Were there pre Sri number diesel cars?

Thanks.

Members,

I here with post what I promised the Colombo Tram ways one and only last memorable Tram car stop board I did not have my Digital Cam so I took it from my Telephone camera.

Once I get my cam from my daughter I will post a better quality picture.

post-44964-0-13935300-1350399466_thumb.j

• Like 3

Members,

I here with post what I promised the Colombo Tram ways one and only last memorable Tram car stop board I did not have my Digital Cam so I took it from my Telephone camera.

Mr.Silvy, if you can trace the tram car route in full, that would be great. :)

Members,

WOW. Its great that you actually KNOW where these things are.

Its really sad that our authorities have no interest in preserving these things. You look at singapore, their history doesnt even go back 5 decades but they have so little things of 'historic' value that they not just preserve, but promote as historic artefacts and create entire tourist attractions out of them. And neither do the people. But show a girl in a short skirt in some national event or a traditional dance being performed at a non traditional event, they'll shout their lungs out and cry a river about the need preserve our history and culture.

Speaking of historical signs, there is (was?) an ancient bus stop sign on Malay Street, on the left just in opposite the Ministry of Cultural Affairs I think. The 138 bus stops there before stopping at the airforce base and regal cinema. I believe the wording is "Motor Bus Halting Place" or some such, don't remember it exactly as its been a few years since I last went that way.

WOW. Its great that you actually KNOW where these things are.

Its really sad that our authorities have no interest in preserving these things. You look at singapore, their history doesnt even go back 5 decades but they have so little things of 'historic' value that they not just preserve, but promote as historic artefacts and create entire tourist attractions out of them. And neither do the people. But show a girl in a short skirt in some national event or a traditional dance being performed at a non traditional event, they'll shout their lungs out and cry a river about the need preserve our history and culture.

'Watchman',

Yes, IC origanly for diesel operated Vehicles your post is correct.

This tram stop board is on the Grand pass road early it was inside the municapal office now a temple is comming up there. the temple had covered the old Tram way stop with the board and raised up the board you can notice the old marks little below on that picture one and only remaining to remember tramways in ceylon.

Colombo municipality one by one took off DC operated, tram cars from the operation route, which was replaced by DC operated Trolley buses.

The last tram operation day I and my late father traveled on the last tram that was late 1950s. Later trolley buses started running on the roads which were served by the tram cars. Tram cars did not have an electric horn instead they had a foot operated bell.

Mr. Sampath Gunasekara's request.

Tram cars operated from Thtalanga old Sedawatte road to Colombo Fort, them via Maradana to Borrala junction Will try to get the exact route later post same to A/L

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

When I was small I saw these odd 'rail tracks' on some roads in and around pettah. At that time I thought maybe they had rail lines which were later removed :)

I remember even seing such tracks inside chalmers granary (recently they have levelled the ground i guess). Was this some kind of tram car station of sorts before?

'NPP',

No to your guess, in side Chalmers granary belong to Railway department. From directly ships used to unload food cargo to the train service operated by Huns let shunting engines which were 4 cylinder Diesel powered. later they were trans ported by Railway covered transporter wagons all over Ceylon. you will still find few of them running in S L rail roads. Railway department was inaugurated by British colonial regime to transport for tea industry of S L. That one reason first to up country Railway line was build. There were number of rail level crossings on road to Pettah and reclamation road. Still fuel is transported to up country by Railway department.

For more information Pettah vegetable market which is situated by the side of railway line and other side is Norris road.Present vegetable land is belongs to railway department which was taken over by late President PREMADSA'S regime and given to shift the old vegetable market which was situated in gasworks street.There was the Tram cars yard and work shop with DC power station.NOW A CAR PARK. TROLLEY BUS power station was built next to St Josephs College still that building. At present is there with municipal road ticket collectors main duty office is there.

Gas works street and Gunasinhapura was developed by the said late president. He was responsible to have developed the gasworks street where Pettah Power station was also situated supplying power before Laxpana power house was inaugurated in early 1950s.

There are plenty of history form early 1950s I can inform the A/L. I remember 1st harthal was started by leftist moment in Ceylon and then Government imposed the CURFEW to entire Island to stop spreading the violent activity's.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

'NPP',

No to your guess, in side Chalmers granary belong to Railway department. From directly ships used to unload food cargo to the train service operated by Huns let shunting engines which were 4 cylinder Diesel powered. later they were trans ported by Railway covered transporter wagons all over Ceylon. you will still find few of them running in S L rail roads. Railway department was inaugurated by British colonial regime to transport for tea industry of S L. That one reason first to up country Railway line was build. There were number of rail level crossings on road to Pettah and reclamation road. Still fuel is transported to up country by Railway department.

For more information Pettah vegetable market which is situated by the side of railway line and other side is Norris road.Present vegetable land is belongs to railway department which was taken over by late President PREMADSA'S regime and given to shift the old vegetable market which was situated in gasworks street.There was the Tram cars yard and work shop with DC power station.NOW A CAR PARK. TROLLEY BUS power station was built next to St Josephs College still that building. At present is there with municipal road ticket collectors main duty office is there.

Gas works street and Gunasinhapura was developed by the said late president. He was responsible to have developed the gasworks street where Pettah Power station was also situated supplying power before Laxpana power house was inaugurated in early 1950s.

There are plenty of history form early 1950s I can inform the A/L. I remember 1st harthal was started by leftist moment in Ceylon and then Government imposed the CURFEW to entire Island to stop spreading the violent activity's.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

(1) Railway line between Fort Railway Station & port through Chalmers Granary

Yes, it can see in Sri Lanka map too. Is there any idea on when they disconnected this line?

fortqw.jpg

Mr.Silvy,

(2) As I heard, People’s Park Shipping Complex at Gasworks Street built on Old Vegetable Market at Gasworks street. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(3) As I heard, tram car yard was next to Gasworks Company Land. Is it correct?

(4) There was a tram line connection between Olcott Road (Pettah Bo Tree) and Main Street (Gas Paha handiya) and it was the route for Tram Depot.

23423colombotramwaysdet.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

There were, and at least one still exists - A Mercedes Benz 170V

carnut,

Your post is correct this was owned by a Pettah Bora merchant in 1950s. If I am not mistaken.

I have not seen this for a long time on the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks carnut & Mr.Silvy.

There were, and at least one still exists - A Mercedes Benz 170V

Yeah I thought of this too...When I was a kid, I recall my dad saying that he went to see one when he was restoring his 170 too. But but wasnt certain enough (on if it was diesel) to post about it. A black one if I recall...

(1) Railway line between Fort Railway Station & port through Chalmers Granary

Yes, it can see in Sri Lanka map too. Is there any idea on when they disconnected this line?

fortqw.jpg

Mr.Silvy,

(2) As I heard, People’s Park Shipping Complex at Gasworks Street built on Old Vegetable Market at Gasworks street. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(3) As I heard, tram car yard was next to Gasworks Company Land. Is it correct?

(4) There was a tram line connection between Olcott Road (Pettah Bo Tree) and Main Street (Gas Paha handiya) and it was the route for Tram Depot.

23423colombotramwaysdet.jpg

Mr. S Gunasekara,

Yes your maps shows all that.

(1) Correct.

(2) Correct.

(3) Correct.Yes it is a carpark now.

(4) Tram Cars terminated at fort. It is difficult for me to say correctly. I remember there were Tram lines at Main Street and opposite Railway station going down to Technical college then towards Borella cannot remember how the line connected to panchikawathe road. Definitely there were lines to words to Tram car termination. On Totalange Famus Jadi Kade Junction, running to words Kalni ganga ending Tram Rails, Most probably to clean tram cars. Water from the Kelini Ganga. Because as for my late farther. Water service to Colombo was started early 1908 or so and completed in 1913.

Colombo Tram cars were started by M/s. Bousted brothers and Electrical distribution, in Colombo first was also by them. Later Colombo municipality took over the Tram Cars.

Distribution of Electricity. By Department of Government Electrical Undertakings. DGEU later CEB

Colombo Municipality will have all records.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Mr. S Gunasekara,

Yes your maps shows all that.

(1) Correct.

(2) Correct.

(3) Correct.Yes it is a carpark now.

(4) Tram Cars terminated at fort. It is difficult for me to say correctly. I remember there were Tram lines at Main Street and opposite Railway station going down to Technical college then towards Borella cannot remember how the line connected to panchikawathe road. Definitely there were lines to words to Tram car termination. On Totalange Famus Jadi Kade Junction, running to words Kalni ganga ending Tram Rails, Most probably to clean tram cars. Water from the Kelini Ganga. Because as for my late farther. Water service to Colombo was started early 1908 or so and completed in 1913.

Colombo Tram cars were started by M/s. Bousted brothers and Electrical distribution, in Colombo first was also by them. Later Colombo municipality took over the Tram Cars.

Distribution of Electricity. By Department of Government Electrical Undertakings. DGEU later CEB

Colombo Municipality will have all records.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Mr.Sylvi. :)

Mr. S. Gunasekara,

If I am not mistaken on your last web link has a picture of late Colin Silva who died on the Kaukurande race tract in early 1960 riding in style. I remember I was there and later his body was at Nagoda hospital which I visited to see the body attended his funeral with my late father.

Please confirm this above I am referring to same person,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. S. Gunasekara,

If I am not mistaken on your last web link has a picture of late Colin Silva who died on the Kaukurande race tract in early 1960 riding in style. I remember I was there and later his body was at Nagoda hospital which I visited to see the body attended his funeral with my late father.

Please confirm this above I am referring to same person,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I'm sorry, but you want confirmation that you went to see the remains of deceased person in a hospital and then to his funeral? Shouldn't you be going that yourself?