• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Davy

yes i made a oil trap tank so the fumes will be filterd and only the purified fumes go to the carburator

Ah the good old SL sedan... I like the fact that it had a 5 speed gearbox and the RPM meter and stuff. I wanted to replace my 4 speed gearbox with one from an SL but my mechanic advised me against it, so I stuck to the original.

I've seen some SLs with turbo, does yours have one?

no i didnt fix a turbo but im serching for atwin carb manufold still i couldent find it

Yes, you're quite right, the breather kind of gets damp with oil but not so much as to drip onto the distributor. Was this something you did on yours?

can you be more specific on the modification part.........was it the engine...?

engine is original 4g33 but i replaced the caburater with a4g 32 air filter is a cold air intake k&n, tyres 205/60,replaced the ignition coil and wires with bosh high performance

and guys i have haynes work shop manual so if any body wants tech support i can help

Edited by anuradhaplanter

yes i made a oil trap tank so the fumes will be filterd and only the purified fumes go to the carburator

engine is original 4g33 but i replaced the caburater with a4g 32 air filter is a cold air intake k&n, tyres 205/60,replaced the ignition coil and wires with bosh high performance

and guys i have haynes work shop manual so if any body wants tech support i can help

Sounds great! Can you share your story as well? Like to see another thread on an A72 restoration!

I've shared the engine workshop manual for the 4G33 in this post.

guys does any body knows how to fix aturbo to 4g33 engine

I actually bought a turbo from a 1975 Galant, but the mounting bolts on the turbo were a few millimeters apart from that of the bolts on the engine, so I forgot about the whole idea. I was on the lookout for turbo for a long time, but I couldn't get hold of one.

Hi Davy,

Restpect bro.....!!! I know you have received lot of like these...but after seeing your work I couldn't just walk away without commenting as a fellow car lover and as a lancer lover.

I have a CK1 now.. but as you said it was the same with me that she has been very close to me ever since we bought it and is a family member now. I will never sell her and I look after her very well. Some people will laugh at these sentences but not you and me and the fellow car lovers who know what it means. So I really understand your love for that car.

I have driven your model and I know that it is special car. I remember the special reverse gear very well, was struggling to put when I was very little.. :-) I've driven almost all the lancer models and I can say that there is something special about these cars. Something you can never get out of even from some of today's brand new vehicles. You are in full control when you are driving :-) most of the time without Stability controls, traction controls, ABS, EBS, etc... ha ha

I actually don't have words to appreciate what you did. ok may be just one word then... MAGNIFICENT..!!

Please share more with us....

cheers...!

• Like 3

hi davi ,

well done man love to c a new project by u

Thanks a lot! Saw your new thread about your car. Keep us posted on the modifications.

Hi Davy,

Restpect bro.....!!! I know you have received lot of like these...but after seeing your work I couldn't just walk away without commenting as a fellow car lover and as a lancer lover.

I have a CK1 now.. but as you said it was the same with me that she has been very close to me ever since we bought it and is a family member now. I will never sell her and I look after her very well. Some people will laugh at these sentences but not you and me and the fellow car lovers who know what it means. So I really understand your love for that car.

I have driven your model and I know that it is special car. I remember the special reverse gear very well, was struggling to put when I was very little.. :-) I've driven almost all the lancer models and I can say that there is something special about these cars. Something you can never get out of even from some of today's brand new vehicles. You are in full control when you are driving :-) most of the time without Stability controls, traction controls, ABS, EBS, etc... ha ha

I actually don't have words to appreciate what you did. ok may be just one word then... MAGNIFICENT..!!

Please share more with us....

cheers...!

Thanks a lot dushanf. With every comment like this, I miss this car even more... and regret having to let her go. :(

For someone who's been driving this car for over 15 years or so, I began to feel as if though it had feelings. Best example was in 2008 when I fell for a CS3 which I was determined to buy. I went in my A72 to inspect the car, went for a test drive and gave a "yes" to the owner. On my way back home, the car that had only stalled on the road once before (because of a bad wiring job) gave up on me right on the middle lane of Baseline road... right at the Borella junc traffic light. It was raining hard and I had to single handedly push the car towards Ward Place. Tried to revive her for quite some time and a nearby garage fellow saw me struggling with the car and helped me out. It was an ignition problem and was solved within a matter of minutes. For the rest of the world it may look like mere coincidence, but for me it was the car trying to tell me something... crazy I know. :)

So many memories of her... when I still didn't have my license, I wanted to drive her and my dad wouldn't let me take her for a spin without his supervision. So I take the car for a drive when he's at work and I get caught at every single occasion, sometimes because my dad felt the warm engine, or because he found tire tracks on the garden. There was even a time when I covered all my tracks by even disconnecting the speed o meter cable from the gearbox just in case he checks the odometer. And all hope seemed lost when he took the keys to office leaving me hopeless. But not for long... I hotwired the car, took off the ignition switch and used two 230v wires to get her going. Blew a fuse or two on the first day but other than that it worked for a very long time! I remind this to my dad now and we have a good laugh. :D

So as I said before... this car carried more than people... it carried a lot of memories, and these are some of them.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 3

DISK BRAKE CONVERSION (2010)

The A72V comes with all four drum and liner brakes and braking inefficiency was a common in this model. To get the car to come to a sudden stop, it was necessary to pump the brake pedal a couple of times in most of these cars because either the drums are worn out or because the rear brake auto adjustment mechanism was faulty. In my case, it was both. After the servo installation in 2004, the force that was needed to get the car to stop dropped drastically. I remember having to "stand" on the brake pedal before that.

Looking for a set of used disk set didn't take that much of time. I went to Panchikawatta and found a set of used ones which I got reconditioned. Faced the rotors and did all necessary replacements and got them installed. The set was from a Lancer A72 SL sedan, so I didn't have to change the struts or anything at all, just removed the former dial plates and installed the new ones.

Going ahead with the disk brake conversion (the car is a mess after being at the garage for over a month or so...):

15839720_large.jpg

These are the only "after" photos I have.

LEFT

15839713_large.jpg

RIGHT

15839714_large.jpg

Edited by Davy
Corrected typo
  • Like 2

hope this image is ok...

That's a nice car. First gen Lancers with a beige interior is pretty hard to find and your interior looks like it's in great shape.

• 3 weeks later...

HI i am restoring a the engine of a lancer tubelight(4g11)and i need to know from whr i can get the redheat paiint thanx

I bought mine from a shop at Negombo. If you live around Colombo, try the paint shops at Slave Island.

Just do a search on the forum and you will come across information about many other places.

• 5 months later...
  • MADZ pinned this topic