• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Davy

Wow what an amazing engine bay! Just a question, are parts easy to come by for cars like this and the Box model Lancer as well ??

Thanks! About parts, yes engine and other mechanical parts are still easy to find and as I have mentioned on this thread before, I sourced all the parts for this car from Panchikawatta. When it comes to body panels, dashboard and other exterior components (like windscreens and windows), only the "watta"s in Panchikawatta will have the stuff and they sometimes quote insane prices for them.

Luckily all the body panels and what not were in good condition on this car. I had to walk about in the "watta"s to hunt for a new steering box, a new wire harness, the timing belt cover, complete front disk break assembly and some door handles which were broken due to 30 years of use.

Excellent stuff, Davy! It seems we like the same style of cars! (vintage no-nonsense Japanese wagons)

Thank you Jaliya48.

Wow !

Great Work .

Your car is exactly same looks like my one (Not a wagon). color and the two lines .

can i have a very closer picture of the carburetor ? specially the choke linkage and the line diagram ?

Again you proved "Old Lancer Never Die !" :sport-smiley-004:

Good Luck !

Thanks mensoft. Good to know that someone else also thought of the two racing stripes. It was just that the bonnet was sculptured in such a way that the lines were welcome... so I couldn't make up my mind to not put them on. :D

As for the photo of the carburetor, I'm so sorry this car is no more with me :( I didn't have control over having to let her go because it was sold without my consent (Long story). Anyway, I have shared the Engine Workshop Manual for the 4G33 engine, please search the forum and you will find every bit of detail you need to know about the carburetor (and choke) in the Workshop Manual.

• 1 month later...

Dear Davy,

I also have a A72 sedan. But my carburetor got rotted. :sad-smiley-050: Where can I find a recondition carburetor of this type. If you can name a place it will be very helpful, I looked around at panchikawatte and watta, but there was only 2, both cost 15,000. :speechless-smiley-004:

Damy.

Dear Davy,

I also have a A72 sedan. But my carburetor got rotted. :sad-smiley-050: Where can I find a recondition carburetor of this type. If you can name a place it will be very helpful, I looked around at panchikawatte and watta, but there was only 2, both cost 15,000. :speechless-smiley-004:

Damy.

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, what do you mean when you say that it got "rotted"?. Isn't there any chance of getting it to work? It's pretty normal for a carburetor that is over 30 years old to have problems (believe me, mine had many). So let us know what's up with your existing carburetor because we have some A72 carburetor experts on the forum that might be able to help you out.

Next, I think you're lucky to have found at least 2 of them at Panchikawatta, but remember that those carbs also are from cars that have been used, so we cannot guarantee that they are 100% perfect. I'd advise you to settle for a carb from Panchikawatta only as a last resort. The prices are so high because they're very rare as you may have already figured out, so I think 15,000 to get your car running again is a good investment.

If you went through this thread, you would have read that I also sourced all my reconditioned parts (steering box, front disks, door handles and what not) from Panchikawatta and no other place. So Panchikawatta is the best bet you have in my opinion. Other than that, there are a few other places in Wadduwa and Minuwangoda which I can try to find contacts for you. We have other Lancer A72 owners on the forum (LancerL, Carboy2011, mensoft, rameez etc.) that might be able to help you as well.

Hey Davy, absolutely brilliant work mate! Nice to see the old girl resurrected to her former glory.

If there is anything I would do differently that would be putting the fender mirrors back on. I know they are as not as conveneint as wing mirrors but hey, it's a 30 odd years old car anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, what do you mean when you say that it got "rotted"?. Isn't there any chance of getting it to work? It's pretty normal for a carburetor that is over 30 years old to have problems (believe me, mine had many). So let us know what's up with your existing carburetor because we have some A72 carburetor experts on the forum that might be able to help you out.

Next, I think you're lucky to have found at least 2 of them at Panchikawatta, but remember that those carbs also are from cars that have been used, so we cannot guarantee that they are 100% perfect. I'd advise you to settle for a carb from Panchikawatta only as a last resort. The prices are so high because they're very rare as you may have already figured out, so I think 15,000 to get your car running again is a good investment.

If you went through this thread, you would have read that I also sourced all my reconditioned parts (steering box, front disks, door handles and what not) from Panchikawatta and no other place. So Panchikawatta is the best bet you have in my opinion. Other than that, there are a few other places in Wadduwa and Minuwangoda which I can try to find contacts for you. We have other Lancer A72 owners on the forum (LancerL, Carboy2011, mensoft, rameez etc.) that might be able to help you as well.

Dear Davy,

Thanks for quick reply. rotted means it got some holes on it but covered by epifix :sad-smiley-050:. It is in running condition doing 7km/Liter. I'm using the car right now. I'll upload some pics of the carb next time.

15,000 is not fair as they also not in a good condition, that's why I did not buy it.

Carboy2011 have sent me a message i'll be in touch with him.

Thanks again.

Damy.

Hey Davy, absolutely brilliant work mate! Nice to see the old girl resurrected to her former glory. If there is anything I would do differently that would be putting the fender mirrors back on. I know they are as not as conveneint as wing mirrors but hey, it's a 30 odd years old car anyway.

Thanks mate! Yeah I agree that I should have left the fender mirrors on. This was my daily runner back then, so convenience kind of played a dominant role as well. :)

Dear Davy,

Thanks for quick reply. rotted means it got some holes on it but covered by epifix :sad-smiley-050:. It is in running condition doing 7km/Liter. I'm using the car right now. I'll upload some pics of the carb next time.

15,000 is not fair as they also not in a good condition, that's why I did not buy it.

Carboy2011 have sent me a message i'll be in touch with him.

Thanks again.

Damy.

I still think that a carb expert could bring yours into proper order. Waiting for your photos to confirm my judgement.

• 1 month later...
for info.,2day i've replaced clutch plate for my lancer (4G12) ,it cost 16000/- :(

is it reasonable??

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not entirely sure about the prices now mate. I replaced the clutch in this car about a decade ago when it was with me, and I remember the price being about 5000 or so for both the cluth plate and the pressure plate. Maybe someone who has done a recent clutch repair can give you a more accurate response.

Two most recent photos...

15772990_large.jpg

15772991_large.jpg

Hats off bro because nowadays these models are very rare in sight!! This brings some of my childhood memories. My friends's father had a A72 car and it was around 1997. We used to play taxi where my friend will pretend driving and I will be the passenger. The keys were not given to us. LOL!!!!

Hats off bro because nowadays these models are very rare in sight!! This brings some of my childhood memories. My friends's father had a A72 car and it was around 1997. We used to play taxi where my friend will pretend driving and I will be the passenger. The keys were not given to us. LOL!!!!

Welcome to the club! I get pissed off when I'm executing a hairpin turn then...BAM! the steering lock engages! :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys!!!

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer A142 V (1981) which is in the process of restoration. Will tell you the whole story after it completed. Before that need some advises from you guys.

Rear bumber is corroted very badly. Its a crome one & will be expensive to repair, my tincker suggest to paint it in black colour. what do you guys suggest? (front bumper is in good condition).

Hi Guys!!!

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer A142 V (1981) which is in the process of restoration. Will tell you the whole story after it completed. Before that need some advises from you guys.

Rear bumber is corroted very badly. Its a crome one & will be expensive to repair, my tincker suggest to paint it in black colour. what do you guys suggest? (front bumper is in good condition).

Welcome! Black rear bumper with a chrome front bumper will look bad, so why not explore Panchi for a replacement? If one can't be found, then you would have to go ahead with the black rear bumper.

Hi Guys!!!

you can easily find one in panchikawatte mate paint both bumpers black as a last option only

did u buy the car recently? we like to see the pics

for info.,2day i've replaced clutch plate for my lancer (4G12) ,it cost 16000/- :(

is it reasonable??

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not entirely sure about the prices now mate. I replaced the clutch in this car about a decade ago when it was with me, and I remember the price being about 5000 or so for both the cluth plate and the pressure plate. Maybe someone who has done a recent clutch repair can give you a more accurate response.

I replaced clutch assembly couple of months ago in my Lancer 4G15 engine

Clutch cover - 6300/=

Clutch plate - 4590/=

Clutch bearing - 2300 /=

• 1 month later...
you can easily find one in panchikawatte mate paint both bumpers black as a last option only

did u buy the car recently? we like to see the pics

Welcome! Black rear bumper with a chrome front bumper will look bad, so why not explore Panchi for a replacement? If one can't be found, then you would have to go ahead with the black rear bumper.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to panchikawattha several times but couldn't find a one. So I had to go with black bumper.

This is my dad's first car & has been neglected for so many years. Then I decided to restore it. Surely I will upload pics after full restoration. It's in the final stages.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to panchikawattha several times but couldn't find a one. So I had to go with black bumper.

This is my dad's first car & has been neglected for so many years. Then I decided to restore it. Surely I will upload pics after full restoration. It's in the final stages.

If you're willing to spend a lot, you can get the bumpers chrome plated. Back when I was restoring mine in 2003, I checked with a couple of places and they quoted 8000 per bumper. Should be a lot more expensive now.

Good luck with the restoration! Please share your story on the forum.

• MADZ pinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
On 5/15/2012 at 4:20 PM, Davy said:
On 5/15/2012 at 4:14 PM, CyRaX said:

She looks great, but did you really have to paste those WRC and Ralliart stickers

Thanks for the comment CyRaX. I took off the RalliArt sticker but not the WRC. Did them all on my own, so didn't want to put that effort to waste so to speak. :)

@Davy Needless to say do you actually need those ralliart stickers anymore? ? the world has evolved and You now have a monster in your garage..??.

Anyway been looking for this thread and could not locate it. Thanks for bumping this up @MkX

13 hours ago, pubudu pathiraja said:

Wow !

Great Work .

Thanks! Appreciate it. 

11 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

@Davy Needless to say do you actually need those ralliart stickers anymore? ? the world has evolved and You now have a monster in your garage..??.

Anyway been looking for this thread and could not locate it. Thanks for bumping this up @MkX

I guess the RalliArt craze was always there. I remember buying sticker rolls off Daley road and cutting the stickers off myself. Teenage times. ?