• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Frameless Wiper Re-Fill

Davy

Hi Guys,

I experimented with something that might come in handy for some of you guys, so I thought of sharing it. My car has Wurth frameless wipers (which cost me about 5500 back in early 2011) and now their time is up. So when I inquired about the price of a new pair, I found out that it had gone up to 7500. I seriously didn’t want to spend 3000 bucks extra just for frameless wipers because the normal Bosche wipers were about 3500 a pair. So I bought the Bosche (normal) pair.

I searched for many places in Colombo to see if I can find wiper re-fill kit, but I couldn’t (Thanks for all those who helped including GTAm and H.C). eBay was out of the question in my case because the blades were really bad and I couldn’t drive around with the old set until the blades arrived.

I was disappointed that I had to take off the frameless wipers because they looked way better than ordinary wipers. So I looked for the possibility of switching just the element from the new Bosche wiper, to the old Wurth housing. And it worked! Using them for over a week now without any issue.

You need:

A set of worn out frameless Wipers (in my case, Wurth), The new normal wipers (Bosche in my case), A micro screwdriver and a sharp blade.

dsc01285ek.jpg

STEP ONE: Taking off the element from the new wiper

The Bosche wiper had one location at with the frame held the element in place without letting it slide off the frame (as seen in the photo below). Use the flathead screwdriver and pry out the element from the frame.

dsc01287ru.jpg

dsc01288o.jpg

After that, the element can be pulled out from the frame.

dsc01289g.jpg

Most wiper elements with a frame has a stainless steel flexor to maintain the rigidity of the wiper element, the Bosche wipers I bought also had this, take the flexor off. It will just fall off once the element is removed. We do not need the flexor because the frameless wiper housing has a steel flexor.

dsc01291kn.jpg

Now you have something equivalent to a re-fill.

dsc01292f.jpg

STEP TWO: Taking off the element from the OLD frameless wiper

The two ends of the Wurth wiper could be easily removed with the use of the flathead micro screwdriver. Press the locations marked as “1” and pull the end out. Removing one end is sufficient as the element can be pulled out from same.

dsc01293q.jpg

dsc01294m.jpg

dsc01295g.jpg

dsc01296i.jpg

Continued...

• Like 2

STEP 3: Prepare the new element

As you can see from the photo below, the elements are not identical. So the new element has to be prepared so that it can go into the flexor of the frameless housing. The difference was that one of the groves on the Bosche element didn’t reach the edge of the element; I used a cutting blade to extend the grove to the edge of the element.

dsc01298jc.jpg

dsc01299cr.jpg

STEP 4: Re-filling the old frameless wiper

Slide in the new bosche element into the old frameless Wurth flexor, it will just go in, no hassle. For some unknown reason, the Wurth 24 inch wiper was about a centimeter shorter than the Bosche 24inch one. So I had to use the blade to cut out the edge for the frameless housing to be able to accommodate the Bosche element. Also, the Wurth element could freely move back and forth about half a centimeter within the housing, so that was also thought of when making the cut.

Make sure the cut is perfectly straight.

dsc01302tw.jpg

Install the plastic cover on the edge of the housing and you are done… You’ve just re-filled your old frameless wiper blades without a re-fill kit. :D

dsc01304g.jpg

• Like 9

Good work mate!. Hope these will do the job for you. If not just send the wiper size and I'll buy a pair of those wipers that I've described . Those frameless wipers are far better than locally available normal Bosch .

• 6 months later...
its ironic that a bosch framless wiper set now cost 1800 here.

I got myself a frame less wiper set for 1200+ last week. It was a brand called Otto which is distributed by DPMC. Looks good and feels that it's well built too.

why would you go through all the trouble of taking the blade out of the new wiper when you could just buy the rubber blade alone? I've seen pleanty of shops in panchi carry them and they should be a lot cheaper than a blade with the frame.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

why would you go through all the trouble of taking the blade out of the new wiper when you could just buy the rubber blade alone? I've seen pleanty of shops in panchi carry them and they should be a lot cheaper than a blade with the frame.

True, A few weeks before posting this thread, I tried to find the re-fill rubber blade in and around Panchi but failed. Even the Wurth agents themselves didn't have it when I checked. Got some contacts from some AL members as well but I wasn't able to find the stuff. Any particular shop at Panchi that you remember having them?

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

True, A few weeks before posting this thread, I tried to find the re-fill rubber blade in and around Panchi but failed. Even the Wurth agents themselves didn't have it when I checked. Got some contacts from some AL members as well but I wasn't able to find the stuff. Any particular shop at Panchi that you remember having them?

Cant remember the names but I can say for certain there are a couple of places in the small lanes of panchi that carry basically every size you would need. It

s worth looking at the smaller shops off of the main road when looking for parts like blade refills.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jdnet" data-cid="244165" data-time="1374601808"><p>

Cant remember the names but I can say for certain there are a couple of places in the small lanes of panchi that carry basically every size you would need. It<br />

s worth looking at the smaller shops off of the main road when looking for parts like blade refills. </p></blockquote>

Will certainly give it a try. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Hi Guys,

I experimented with something that might come in handy for some of you guys, so I thought of sharing it. My car has Wurth frameless wipers (which cost me about 5500 back in early 2011) and now their time is up. So when I inquired about the price of a new pair, I found out that it had gone up to 7500. I seriously didn’t want to spend 3000 bucks extra just for frameless wipers because the normal Bosche wipers were about 3500 a pair. So I bought the Bosche (normal) pair.

I searched for many places in Colombo to see if I can find wiper re-fill kit, but I couldn’t (Thanks for all those who helped including GTAm and H.C). eBay was out of the question in my case because the blades were really bad and I couldn’t drive around with the old set until the blades arrived.

I was disappointed that I had to take off the frameless wipers because they looked way better than ordinary wipers. So I looked for the possibility of switching just the element from the new Bosche wiper, to the old Wurth housing. And it worked! Using them for over a week now without any issue.

You need:

A set of worn out frameless Wipers (in my case, Wurth), The new normal wipers (Bosche in my case), A micro screwdriver and a sharp blade.

dsc01285ek.jpg

STEP ONE: Taking off the element from the new wiper

The Bosche wiper had one location at with the frame held the element in place without letting it slide off the frame (as seen in the photo below). Use the flathead screwdriver and pry out the element from the frame.

dsc01287ru.jpg

dsc01288o.jpg

After that, the element can be pulled out from the frame.

dsc01289g.jpg

Most wiper elements with a frame has a stainless steel flexor to maintain the rigidity of the wiper element, the Bosche wipers I bought also had this, take the flexor off. It will just fall off once the element is removed. We do not need the flexor because the frameless wiper housing has a steel flexor.

dsc01291kn.jpg

Now you have something equivalent to a re-fill.

dsc01292f.jpg

STEP TWO: Taking off the element from the OLD frameless wiper

The two ends of the Wurth wiper could be easily removed with the use of the flathead micro screwdriver. Press the locations marked as “1” and pull the end out. Removing one end is sufficient as the element can be pulled out from same.

dsc01293q.jpg

dsc01294m.jpg

dsc01295g.jpg

dsc01296i.jpg

Continued...

Thanks to OP Davy for his DIY work, that saved money.

Also helps to reuse original wiper arm.

By following the post, I changed the wiper blades of my Chevy Spark.

Bought, wiper blade insert from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251677802321?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for Rs. 440/= after conversion.

Thanks to OP Davy for his DIY work, that saved money.

Also helps to reuse original wiper arm.

By following the post, I changed the wiper blades of my Chevy Spark.

Bought, wiper blade insert from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251677802321?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for Rs. 440/= after conversion.

You're welcome. I'm glad you found this useful.