• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Oil Filter Housing Wrench

upulhad

There are a couple of tools you can use to remove oil filters. One has a chain, and one has little arms and another I've seen looks like a wrench. This looks like one specifically for the Toyota sized oil filter to be used with a socket wrench.

I'm not really sure of the question you are asking. I'm sure people have used this particular wrench but is that relevant? You can use a more widely available universal wrench of the type I've mentioned as well.

I'm not really sure of the question you are asking. I'm sure people have used this particular wrench but is that relevant? You can use a more widely available universal wrench of the type I've mentioned as well.

In most of modern cars the oil filter cannot be removed with universal tools because of space restrictions. If it is a one off DIY job you can use a PVC pipe (Even some of the thick plastic bottles would do) slightly modified with a hose clip to tighten around the oil filter at one end and two holes at the other end to put a small rod for leverage.

• Like 1

This is not a Toyota specific oil filter removal tool, it's comes as part of a set used to remove differently sized oil filters and is accompanied with a socket wrench as The Don has already mentioned, and can be used on a large range of vehicles. I haven't used this personally, but have seen it being used at service stations.

If you want to know about how to use this, it's as simple as placing it on top of the oil filter and turning it counter clockwise to loosen and clockwise to fasten. Somewhat like removing a bolt with a socket wrench.

As for the tool with the chain, it's adjustable and can be used to remove most oil filters. Here's a custom made oil filter removal tool (chain type) I've managed to capture at a service station.

dsc00966mm.jpg

I bought a chain tool off ebay...was pretty cheap and work well for filters with multiple sizes.

The one on OP's picture is only for one set size as others too have mentioned.

The chain thing is a nifty little tool to have for any DIY mechanic

If you are changing the oil yourself and have a strong hand, you could get away by not using the wrench as long as the engine is cold. So far I've had to use a wrench only once. In that instance a screw driver and hammer did just fine :).

hi evry one,

thnks 4 da cmnts,

most of service station ppl use chain wrench to remove mordern car oil filter housing,

any way its scrach da housing and may damged it ,

some ppl use 3-Jaw 2-Way Oil Filter Wrench its quit good one

if u DIY...

pls buy exct tool...

F Y I

good luck

Hello,

I bought following tool to use with oil filter. tool with chain didnt worked for me. it damaged filter. This thing adjust it self.

I bought 78151.jpg

Why are you worried about damaging the filter when removing it? Did you try tightening it as well ??

If you are changing the oil yourself and have a strong hand, you could get away by not using the wrench as long as the engine is cold. So far I've had to use a wrench only once. In that instance a screw driver and hammer did just fine :).

was doing the screwdriver thing myself but leaking oil from the filter after the puncture made a mess of things. And once the oil is all over the filter, it's a really slippery affair to take the thing out of the engine bay without dropping it.

I once dropped it on my garage floor and it wasn't pretty :)

Went for the chain thing purely to keep things clean

If it damaged when removing, same could happen when fixing new one. May be I used chain tool in wrong way.

AFAIK, filter installations are meant to be tightened by hand only. no need to use tools to tighten it hard with a speciality tool.

And handling new filters minus oil is pretty easy by hand than with a tool

And as for the chain vs the wrench... personally, i find the chain thing easy to use than the adjusting wrench cos the latter needs a socket driver to be chucked in there.

AFAIK, filter installations are meant to be tightened by hand only. no need to use tools to tighten it hard with a speciality tool.

And handling new filters minus oil is pretty easy by hand than with a tool

I'm not sure if this applied to all vehicles in general, but my engine workshop manual specifically says this:

Caution:

The oil filter must be tightened using a commercially available filter wrench. If the filter is tightened by hand only, it will be insufficiently torqued, resulting in oil leaks.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this applied to all vehicles in general, but my engine workshop manual specifically says this:

Usually the general reference books like those by Automobile Asso. of UK advise you to hand-tighten oil filters. My experience is that you can do this in most of continental models but not on all Jap vehicles because of space restrictions. In any case even if you tighten the filter by hand when you install it, by the time you get to remove it more often than not you need to have a tool. So a tool of one form or the other comes handy if you do DIY oil changes.

was doing the screwdriver thing myself but leaking oil from the filter after the puncture made a mess of things. And once the oil is all over the filter, it's a really slippery affair to take the thing out of the engine bay without dropping it.

I once dropped it on my garage floor and it wasn't pretty :)

That's what wives are for. Cooking and cleaning ;)

• 3 years later...

Dear udayap,

This is good for filter removing only. Bec, this will damage the housing. Do not use this for tightening. (I have very resent experience that filter hosing damaged due to tightening using this tool by a mechanic).

Hand tightening is almost enough. (If you follow the thumb rule, hand tighten + 1/16 of a round tool tightening required). Purchase a filter belt for that purpose. But the best tool is cup.

Edited by gayanath

Hi Gayanath,

Many thanks for the infor. and sharing your experiences. Seems it would be better to avoid this tool. I could not find the cup (with flutes) here in Sri Lanka. I ordered it from Ebay. In deed, most of our service station guys are bunch or ignorant fellows, doing such crazy things. That is why I thought of do oil change at home.

• Like 1