• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Tyre Brand....!

abcjayasinghe

I'm looking for a good tyre brand in 195/65 R15 for my toyota. my current GT Radial tyres (Malasian I suppose) have done 20000+ kms but are almost worn out. Please help me out with this to find a good brand that suits our road conditions and, of course, that would last longer. Thanks !

Bought Nankang tyres few months back, now 12,000Kms on the clock, still look new. Bought from tyre shop in front of Sugathadasa stadium.

Also, I have used cheap Chineese tyre from well known alloy wheel shop in Mt. Lavania in my van and they lasted for 30,000Kms without any issue. That was only Rs. 8,000 for a 185/65 R15 tyre

The best I have used in Dunlop Japanese very good Tyre I used it in my FB15 and when I sold it it had 20,000Km done and looked like that it can done another good 20,000Kms.

For high mileage.. I have heard from tyre dealers such as U&H, Olympic, Amila that the Goodyear Duraplus lasts a long time and is quite comfortable too.. No personal experience, perhaps some other members might be able to shed some light..

• Like 1

As for a "good tyre" check the internet for reviews and user comments on whatever brand/s you choose to sum up a conclusion for a good tyre/brand.

Apart from the brand what is vital is tyre and vehicle care for the long life of a tyre. Proper allignment, wheel balancing and manufacturer recommended tyre pressure being maintaned routinely, regular monitoring for uneven ware and appropriate action if so, regular checks to see if the vehicle pulls to a side and if so appropriate action and periodic tyre rotations are absolutely essential to get more miles off a set of tyres IMO. Neglect these and you'll be lucky to get 20000ks!

My best so far has been 65000kms on a set of Cooper Bronco radials and the worst 35000kms on a set of Silverstone radials.

Edited by CJ5

Currently using Yokohama A Drive Indonisian made. Done 25000+ kms, still looks GREAT looks like nothing worn out. Bought from Unit#d Mot#rs they said it will last until 50000+ kms. Costs me 9000+ LKR with the special discount for 185/60 R14

As for "good tyre" check the internet for reviews and user comments to sum up a conclusion for a good tyre/brand. Apart from the brand what is vital is tyre and vehicle care for the long life of a tyre. Proper allignment, wheel balancing and manufacturer recommended tyre pressure being maintaned routinely, regular monitoring for uneven ware and appropriate action if so, regular checks to see if the vehicle pulls to a side and if so appropriate action and periodic tyre rotations are absolutely essential to get more miles off a set of tyres IMO. Neglect these and you'll be lucky to get 20000ks!

CJ5 is perfectly correct. These things should have been monitored One of my friend bought a set of Japanese Dunlop tires, but it didn't last for 20000km as he hasn't done any wheel alignments

I have used 185x70x13 GT Radial (classiro) type 86H Indonesia, thread wear 340 set of tires for 50000km on my CE110.

Had to replace because tires are worn from two sides but center thread still good. [lack of air pressure on front wheels :( ]

• Like 1

As for a "good tyre" check the internet for reviews and user comments on whatever brand/s you choose to sum up a conclusion for a good tyre/brand.

Apart from the brand what is vital is tyre and vehicle care for the long life of a tyre. Proper allignment, wheel balancing and manufacturer recommended tyre pressure being maintaned routinely, regular monitoring for uneven ware and appropriate action if so, regular checks to see if the vehicle pulls to a side and if so appropriate action and periodic tyre rotations are absolutely essential to get more miles off a set of tyres IMO. Neglect these and you'll be lucky to get 20000ks!

My best so far has been 65000kms on a set of Cooper Bronco radials and the worst 35000kms on a set of Silverstone radials.

Thanks all... Your inputs are very much appreciated.

BTW I've done all you mentioned above apart from that "periodic tyre rotation" thing.

Each time I got the allignment and wheel balancing done from the same place. There they use a computer software based technique and give a detailed report with a lot of pre and post-allignment values of which i have very little (/or no) knowledge. Would it be wise to go for manual allignment checking?

Edited by abcjayasinghe

There they use a computer software based technique and give a detailed report with a lot of pre and post-allignment values of which i have very little (/or no) knowledge. Would it be wise to go for manual allignment checking?

As for me...I used to go to a place which did allignments using hi-tech ie. computers, lasers, print-outs the full works. They were good for a time when they had a former CTB foreman at the controls, then things gradually changed and now they are utterly useless, basically ripping off customers in style and worst of all the owner does not tolerate any complaints from customers. His policy seems to be that the customer is always wrong.

Now I go to a place at Walana in Panadura and they are perfect and I have absolutely no complaints.They use a manual system and at that an antique allignment machine (something worth at least to look at if computerised allignments are your thing) which they had got from Rowlands when it closed down. For me and the hundreds that throng the place everyday the system works perfect eventhough archaic! :)

• Like 1

As for me...I used to go to a place which did allignments using hi-tech ie. computers, lasers, print-outs the full works. They were good for a time when they had a former CTB foreman at the controls, then things gradually changed and now they are utterly useless, basically ripping off customers in style and worst of all the owner does not tolerate any complaints from customers. His policy seems to be that the customer is always wrong.

Now I go to a place at Walana in Panadura and they are perfect and I have absolutely no complaints.They use a manual system and at that an antique allignment machine (something worth at least to look at if computerised allignments are your thing) which they had got from Rowlands when it closed down. For me and the hundreds that throng the place everyday the system works perfect eventhough archaic! :)

CJ5,

Please post the address of walana alignment shop. I have got all my vehicles done at Rowlends when they were operating at Darmapala mavatha.

You are perfectly correct they had the best unit in Colombo, other good alignment unit was at Collets in Borella.

Both motor repair garages had closed down after the dark era from 1962 to 1977.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

CJ5,

Please post the address of walana alignment shop.

129 Galle Road Walana Panadura.

• Like 1

Any reliable place around Kandy to get the allignment done "manually" ?

Sorry mate...I have no knowledge of such places in Kandy :(

Thanks buddy, I'll pay a visit most probably this weekend

as Ek3 Ferio said try MJR peris i had done wheels alignment with them both manually and using a machine so far i didn't had any problems.

And also, a decent place around Kandy Please......where allignment is done manually.

Regards!

It is better to avoid M*G C**Y - Katugasthota for alignment

I did the alignment for my car and just as the routing test without having any major trouble, But after alignment car going to drag one side and become worse.

After one week I did the Alignment again from Dehiwala ( cannot remind name of place ) and It prety decent job.

They did using PC and give free alignment test after 2000 km

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Does any one knows about federal tyres which are sold by J* L*nka??

they are quite cheap and giving out a 40k warranty

are these tyres good??

any experience???

Federal is a Chinese Tyre which isn't that bad. I had a pair of them in my car and while they weren't bad they weren't that great either. Didn't offer a lot of grip at least the ones I had in my car. Personally I would go with Maxxis, Kumho, Goodyear or Nankang