• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Leaf Springs

dingy

Guys my car has leaf springs and i would like to know whether i could convert it to a coil spring system thank you

dingy,

For what reason you want to do this. You want for better comfort?

Can do the modification. I think you want for rear only. Get hold of a good mechanic who will understand the job.

If not you will have problems.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Guys my car has leaf springs and i would like to know whether i could convert it to a coil spring system thank you

Of course yes anything can be converted to anything that you want. I converted my FWD petrol car into a RWD diesel van. The car had coil springs and when it was converted to a van it had leaf springs. Now I am planning to convert the van into a lorry.

dingy,

For what reason you want to do this. You want for better comfort?

Can do the modification. I think you want for rear only. Get hold of a good mechanic who will understand the job.

If not you will have problems.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The handling is not at all good coz the back is really bouncy

Edited by dingy

ding,

Your post is quite correct. Had bumping on a very small bump.

Overcome by changing Shock absorbers. Present S A are designed to leaf springs.

I did a conversion some years back. Had to use different Shock absorbers with a higher load capacity.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

How good are your shock absorbers????

Shocks were put replaced about 6 months ago

What's the vehicle? and did you change the shocks because it was too bouncy?

Usually a bouncy suspension, whether that be leaf springs or coil springs, is due to worn shock absorbers and not because its leaf spring as even a coil spring suspension can turn bouncy with defective shocks. I have been using many vehicles with rear leaf springs and there were no issues of unusual bouncyness except that they do not offer the ride comfort of a coil spring suspension. The leaf springs are good for loading whereas the coil springs are not.

If you load the vehicle considerably and travel on undulating surfaces it would significantly reduce the life of a shock, but then again 6 months does pose a question. Were the shocks of a reputed brand bought by you from a reputed retailer and were they fixed by a reliable garage? I personally know of instances where though the garage charges for the part the parts in fact were never replaced. These are so called "large" garages with networks and popularly patronised by many.

What's the vehicle? and did you change the shocks because it was too bouncy?

Usually a bouncy suspension, whether that be leaf springs or coil springs, is due to worn shock absorbers and not because its leaf spring as even a coil spring suspension can turn bouncy with defective shocks. I have been using many vehicles with rear leaf springs and there were no issues of unusual bouncyness except that they do not offer the ride comfort of a coil spring suspension. The leaf springs are good for loading whereas the coil springs are not.

If you load the vehicle considerably and travel on undulating surfaces it would significantly reduce the life of a shock, but then again 6 months does pose a question. Were the shocks of a reputed brand bought by you from a reputed retailer and were they fixed by a reliable garage? I personally know of instances where though the garage charges for the part the parts in fact were never replaced. These are so called "large" garages with networks and popularly patronised by many.

It's a lancer a70...the shocks are koni my dad got it from abroad and he does not trust the echanics so he gets them to come home and do it............also i have realized that when there is about two people in the back then its okay

We also had a A72 S/W with the rear leaf springs and it was ok. Did you camber the leaf springs or do anything like that? ie. without a load does the rear look a bit higher than the front?