Magnum

Japanese Car News

905 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Pardon the language and out burst...

Such sad sad news....so the "unthinkable" rumor came true. Toyota has abolished the Mark X. One of the very few fun cars to drive from Toyota and its gone ! What do they do instead ??? They hope that the Camry will take its place in the JDM market ? Really ? That piece of FWD understeering $h!t of a barge ??? They could have done something so beautiful with the TC engine out of the Crown (which was the other rumor...that the next gen mark X would go TC).

well this was on the cards for a long time. i believe the mark x has sold less and less units in japan since its introduction and overlaps with a lot of their other cars- Crown, Lexus IS and GS. They were talking about killing it off many years ago.

Personally I liked the 1st generation model the best- the newer versions looked like they were trying too hard. They were also de-tuning the engines so the throttle response was softer.  I had a 1st generation Mark x S package which I had to part with a few years ago. That car still looks great and apart from a slightly vague steering feel and spongy brakes it was very much a decent drivers car.  

6 hours ago, RWD said:

well this was on the cards for a long time. i believe the mark x has sold less and less units in japan since its introduction and overlaps with a lot of their other cars- Crown, Lexus IS and GS. They were talking about killing it off many years ago.

Personally I liked the 1st generation model the best- the newer versions looked like they were trying too hard. They were also de-tuning the engines so the throttle response was softer.  I had a 1st generation Mark x S package which I had to part with a few years ago. That car still looks great and apart from a slightly vague steering feel and spongy brakes it was very much a decent drivers car.  

Well...they didn't change the model since 2009...there were rumors of it being killed off but then Toyota themselves showed some renderings of a replacement for the Mark X. The thing is, it really doesn't entirely step on the models you mentioned. The Crown, GS and IS all cater to an upper market segment; and except for the IS fall in to a different tax segment as well. The Crown Athlete which is the next step up for a sporty FR sedan under the Toyota badge is a bit pudgy to drive compared to the Mark X and is significantly more expensive. 

If at all the mark X's down fall was the Camry. The Mark X was doing quite well until the Hybrid Camry came along. With the government tax incentives the Camry was dirt cheap to buy and run. This was the time when Toyota hinted of a Hybrid Mark X and when the Turbo charged Crown came along they reaffirmed that the Turbo charged engine will be making it to Toyota's other FR sedans (I guess that shouldn't have been taken literally). So with the departure of the Mark X there really is a bit of a vacuum in the segment in terms of a sporty FR car. Off the top of my head all the other cars in the same segment are FF. The FR cars are significantly more expensive than what the Mark X is.

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...they didn't change the model since 2009...there were rumors of it being killed off but then Toyota themselves showed some renderings of a replacement for the Mark X. The thing is, it really doesn't entirely step on the models you mentioned. The Crown, GS and IS all cater to an upper market segment; and except for the IS fall in to a different tax segment as well. The Crown Athlete which is the next step up for a sporty FR sedan under the Toyota badge is a bit pudgy to drive compared to the Mark X and is significantly more expensive. 

If at all the mark X's down fall was the Camry. The Mark X was doing quite well until the Hybrid Camry came along. With the government tax incentives the Camry was dirt cheap to buy and run. This was the time when Toyota hinted of a Hybrid Mark X and when the Turbo charged Crown came along they reaffirmed that the Turbo charged engine will be making it to Toyota's other FR sedans (I guess that shouldn't have been taken literally). So with the departure of the Mark X there really is a bit of a vacuum in the segment in terms of a sporty FR car. Off the top of my head all the other cars in the same segment are FF. The FR cars are significantly more expensive than what the Mark X is.

Interesting. I never thaught Camry would be in the same consideration set as Mark X. Especially the Hybrid model.

When the new Lexus IS200t was launched I was thinking that would have been an interesting engine to drop into the Mark X to replace the ageing 2GR-FSE. I would have fancied getting one down in the future. Now I'll just have to save up for the rest of my life to afford an IS :-)