• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dcd Milk Powder Issue

Charith H Jayasinghe

Guys,

Another issue is going on these days.

Health authority found DCD a compound of aggro chemicals found in some common milk powders imported to country and currently they have issued warnings and ban.

So apart from adult milk consumers, i hope there are fathers as well as High protein users in this forum. So what what's your views on milk powders these days.

I'll start with sharing some links

1. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/11/us-fonterra-milk-srilanka-idUSBRE97A02B20130811

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Cyanoguanidine

3. http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=84902

4. For English readers above link 3 described the same issue.( GMOA media release)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200178442443882&set=oa.340717329395462&type=1&relevant_count=1

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe
  • Like 1

Is everything in life that we associate ourselves with healthy? We go on inhaling all sorts of pollutants day in and day out. Does anyone care? There are certain obvious pros and cons if you happen to live in this age.

My gut feeling is that this is another issue blown out of proportion just like the alleged pollution of water in Rathupaswala. (My ancestral home is at an aerial distance of 4km west of Rathupaswala. To my surprise the PH value of water found to be 4.8 and seems to be a natural thing). We, with a mindset influenced by years and years of marketing hype of the dairy companies believe in the use of milk and its byproducts as a nutrient supplement. But is milk all that necessary? If not why worry about DCD?

Above all it makes me ponder how these two health related and pressing issues came to light so aggressively at the same time. What's in store for us behind the smoke screen?

• Like 1

Agree with Rumesh 100%.

Is anyone in this country even bothered to find out what crap is there in locally manufactured liquid milk? Do people think its 100% perfect because its Made in Sri Lanka? How about other crap we eat? Rice with added arsenic... Fish with added formaline... chilli powder with added 'gadol kudu'... canned fish imported from china with added mercury etc etc...

I am too of the opinion that this issue contains something more than we see.

• Like 2

Agree with Rumesh 100%.

Is anyone in this country even bothered to find out what crap is there in locally manufactured liquid milk? Do people think its 100% perfect because its Made in Sri Lanka? How about other crap we eat? Rice with added arsenic... Fish with added formaline... chilli powder with added 'gadol kudu'... canned fish imported from china with added mercury etc etc...

well, weliweriya happened. then grandpas happened. and people are like "weliweriya what?"

aney deiyyaney

Let's wait for DCD results....

At the moment I am happy as at least I am free of Milk Powder (Garrilla) Marketing Advertisements these days.

This is my own feeling..... :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

9kh7.jpg

No 1, 2 & 5..... I like them very much.. Ela ela.. :sport-smiley-004: Specially this Mrs. Perera... :sport-smiley-005:

At the moment I am happy as at least I am free of Milk Powder (Garrilla) Marketing Advertisements these days.

This is my own feeling..... :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

Hi Sampath,

Hats off to your list mate. Agree with you 100%.

There was an interesting discussion happened in twitter last week. One guy came up with technicality of preserving milk as milk powder. Point was that milk powder used powerful preservatives so that it can last more than two years.

As we know if we keep milk in normal bottle it’ll be spoiled with in 24hrs. But we can use the milk powder even in open bottled/packs about 2, 3 months without any change.

The other point was that all the milk packets have average shelf life of 2 weeks to 2 months, inside the packet. Hence do we need preservations that can last for 2 years? The normal expiry date is about 2 years after date of manufacturing.

[img=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7010/9kh7.jpg]

Few days back I was watching news on a certain private tv channel. Interestingly, soon after the news item about the suspension of milk products ads was announced guess what came up first in the commercial break. CHANDI BANDI! . Lol.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7010/9kh7.jpg%5D

Sira sira.... well said Sampath... :drinks::dance3::music-smiley-026::yahoo::party::sarcastic_hand:

There was an interesting discussion happened in twitter last week. One guy came up with technicality of preserving milk as milk powder. Point was that milk powder used powerful preservatives so that it can last more than two years.

As we know if we keep milk in normal bottle it’ll be spoiled with in 24hrs. But we can use the milk powder even in open bottled/packs about 2, 3 months without any change.

The other point was that all the milk packets have average shelf life of 2 weeks to 2 months, inside the packet. Hence do we need preservations that can last for 2 years? The normal expiry date is about 2 years after date of manufacturing.

Milk is usually distributed in 3 ways (ok 4 if you consider direct to consumer if you are an infant being fed by a mother or your neighbour is a milk farmer :)

1. Powder which offers great flexibility as it can be kept in harsh climates for long periods of time and can respond to spikes in consumption

2. UTH or ultra heat treated or long life milk which is distributed in liquid form which offers similar flexibility as well. In Sri Lanka they call this Kal kiri

3. So called fresh pasteruised milk.which is light heat treated and once the container is opened lasts about 3 days in a fridge (probably less in the tropics).

So which milk you use depends on consumption. As far as I know all three methods are safe but the first two offers better protection against live contaminants (bacteria etc) which as fresh seems to have better taste.

We need to be able to separate propoganda from facts.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Froterra or any other milk powder producer and fully support the local dairy farmers.

Edited by The Don

I'm with Don on the above. Whoever this "guy" that came up with the technicality is an idiot.

Agree with Rumesh 100%.

I buy a lot of Diamond brand Tuna , usually consume about 2-3 large tins a weak. Tuna is supposed to have elevated levels of mercury (worldwide) so eating it in moderation is advised; I ofcourse am eating way too much of it. It is from Thailand , same as the Tuna I buy in the US.

Here it says Fonterra hold the operations in Sri Lanka

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11113403

Self imposed halt to ops due to politicians getting involved and taking matters way beyond scope.

Yesterday there was a protest led by lemon puff gang and the next step might be the bbs getting involved.

Nobody...personal or corporate have a chance to voice their pov on anything as everything is controlled by higher gods.

transparency, rule of law and justice is absent. And most of all after ltte issue, we badly need an enemy to bash so other issues can be forgotten :)

• Like 1