• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Or Axio? Update: Bought A Lancer! (Aka The B.r.a.t.t. Thread)

Bracket

Question

Hello Experts,

Excited to join Autolanka forums :D Waited almost for month for an admin to approve me ... anyway, whoever the admin that approved me, :smilie_liebe12:

Last December, I sold my good old Maruti WagonR ( 2008 model, 5yrs old, driven for 30000+ Kms) For 1.6mil. I was searching for a good car to buy ever since. ( that's how I ended up on autolanka) So now that I finally got approved I thought it's time to get expert ideas on buying my new vehicle.

My budget is 3.5mil - 4.0mil. I wanted to buy a japanese car and browsing the internet, Finally I decided that there are two contenders:

1. Toyota axio 161 1.3 X Grade (2013)

2. Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.6 GLX (2013)

Both the cars ( Brand New ) are being sold for 3.5 mil. for the permit. ( Lancer : 3,460,000 to be exact)

My priorities are:

-RELIABILITY
-Fuel Economy

-Spare Parts Availability

-Safety And comfort

-Handling

-Looks

- Resale value

Axio Dealers are mainly bragging of TOYOTA Reliability and Spare parts availability. They assured me I'm in deep trouble if I choose a mitsubishi because there are no spare parts in local market and I would have to buy spare parts only from agent paying a huge amount of money and I have to wait till eternity for mitsubishi agents to import parts from japan. And they also mentioned that unlike axio, I won't be able to sell the mitsubishi for a decent price. (if I wanted to, of course)

I called mitsu agents and they say they have spare parts for any vehicle they sell and I don't have to worry. However the sales guy said he have no idea on 3rd party parts availability.

So as you all can see i'm in a dilemma here. If you were in my position which car would you buy? And please be kind enough to mention why.. :)

This is my first post on autolanka, so please go easy on me if I have offended any rule.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bracket

Thanks Davy. I had seen in some Indian automotive forum where they have reviewed Evo X in Indian conditions and they pumped normal gasoline mixed with Octane 97 and didn't notice any issues. Don't know how it will work in the longer run though. The article here

Well, God bless that poor Evo. :)

They didn't notice any issues because the knock sensor retards timing of the engine to prevent the engine from knocking. The car will of course run smoothly under regular driving, but that doesn't mean the engine is working at it's best efficiency. In fact, continuous usage will probably ruin the engine.

By the way, most of what is mentioned in that article is utter bullsh!t, starting from the 291 brake horsepower to the 5.9 turning radius and the 9 speaker system (when there is actually only 7) to name a few.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Well, God bless that poor Evo. :)

They didn't notice any issues because the knock sensor retards timing of the engine to prevent the engine from knocking. The car will of course run smoothly under regular driving, but that doesn't mean the engine is working at it's best efficiency. In fact, continuous usage will probably ruin the engine.

By the way, most of what is mentioned in that article is utter bullsh!t, starting from the 291 brake horsepower to the 5.9 turning radius and the 9 speaker system (when there is actually only 7) to name a few.

Sounds a lot like our very own Sirasa auto-whatever chap!

But quick question: If the ECU is retarding the timing then there shouldn't be an issue other than the engine not running at peak performance right?

Sounds a lot like our very own Sirasa auto-whatever chap!

But quick question: If the ECU is retarding the timing then there shouldn't be an issue other than the engine not running at peak performance right?

When a higher octane fuel is used, the piston is able to compress the air/fuel mixture so that only a small portion of the cylinder wall is exposed to the combustion. But with the use of lower octane fuel, the combustion happens when the piston is further down in the cylinder, exposing more of the cylinder wall to the extreme heat. This can cause the engine to overheat. And this is just one of the symptoms. Also, If the car is a bit old and has carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, knocking will happen regardless of the knock sensor trying to do it's job. Other issues that I can think of is premature wearing of exhaust valves, white smoke and spark plug failure.

The turbo of the Evo kicks in at about 2500 RPM, so if these guys stepped on it a little bit with regular petrol, I'm pretty sure they would have been able to feel the car struggling.

• Like 1

When a higher octane fuel is used, the piston is able to compress the air/fuel mixture so that only a small portion of the cylinder wall is exposed to the combustion. But with the use of lower octane fuel, the combustion happens when the piston is further down in the cylinder, exposing more of the cylinder wall to the extreme heat. This can cause the engine to overheat. And this is just one of the symptoms. Also, If the car is a bit old and has carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, knocking will happen regardless of the knock sensor trying to do it's job. Other issues that I can think of is premature wearing of exhaust valves, white smoke and spark plug failure.

The turbo of the Evo kicks in at about 2500 RPM, so if these guys stepped on it a little bit with regular petrol, I'm pretty sure they would have been able to feel the car struggling.

I see, so its not as straight forward and using lower octane petrol should at best be a temporary measure (if your car requires higher octane petrol that is...)

You know it's Indian logic all throughout that review. According to them one of the cons of having EVO was spending so much for a Lancer :speechless-smiley-004:

Â

You know it's Indian logic all throughout that review. According to them one of the cons of having EVO was spending so much for a Lancer :speechless-smiley-004:

We can't expect more from a nation which think hanging some lime and chilli is more important for the safety than having air bags.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Davy" data-cid="293961" data-time="1466227160"><p>

The 4B11T engine is meant to run on octane 98 or higher. I wonder how all the Evo Xs in the country are fuelled. Do we get octane 98 locally?</p></blockquote>

They might be using 10% Toluene + 95RON Gasoline mixture?

Dunno if thats possible tho. theoretically that should boost octane count upto (95*.9) + (121*.1) = 97.6RON rite?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Davy" data-cid="293961" data-time="1466227160"><p>

The 4B11T engine is meant to run on octane 98 or higher. I wonder how all the Evo Xs in the country are fuelled. Do we get octane 98 locally?</p></blockquote>

They might be using 10% Toluene + 95RON Gasoline mixture?

Dunno if thats possible tho. theoretically that should boost octane count upto (95*.9) + (121*.1) = 97.6RON rite?

Oh that totally slipped my mind. Yes, they're all probably using an Octane Booster.

7 minutes ago, vpsupun85 said:

Hey guys,

Anyone's still active in this thread ?

Cheers,

Welcome to the forum. 

Haven't seen @Bracket around for quite some time, but there are several other Lancer EX owners on the forum who will be able to help. Are you looking to buy a Lancer? 

Wow. Never expected such fast response. Thanks guys.

Actually I bought a Lancer EX GLS ( 2007 ) two weeks back. My previous ride was a Nissan Leaf. So I'm new to Mitsubishi as well as ICE.

Yes, I've few questions. Glad if you guys can help.

1. How to change from L/100Km to Km/L  in economy indicator ? and access 'Settings menu' ?
  2. How accurate the economy indicator ?
    (Note: I'm getting 10-9 Kmpl in city and it's pretty much accurate. But it's indicating  19 kmpl in highway at 90Kmph but not sure about this )
  3. Where are the best places for after market stuff ? And repair places other than the company ?
  4. From where you guys are buying recondition spare pars ?
    (Note1: I got ABS sensor issue and had to replace from company and it was cost 44K per sensor. That's not reasonable at all )
    (Note2: All 4 A/C vents ( control tabs ) were broken when I got the car. Today I got two vents from spare parts seller in Negambo and other two were able to glue up. Had to remove most of the parts in instrument panel for this ;-( )
  5. Anything else I should know or care about as a newbie ?

Cheers guys,

Edited by vpsupun85

Changing the fuel consumption display unit

The display unit for fuel consumption can be switched.

The distance, speed, and amount units are also switched to match the selected fuel consumption unit.

1. Press and hold the multi-information meter switch for about 2 seconds or more to switch from the setting mode screen to the menu screen.

2. Lightly press the multi-information meter switch to select “AVG UNIT (fuel consumption display setting)”.

3. Press and hold the multi-information meter switch for about 2 seconds or more to display “AVG UNIT” (fuel consumption display unit setting).

4. Lightly press the multi-information meter switch to switch in sequence from km/L → L/100 km → mpg (US) → mpg (UK) → RETURN → km/L.

16 minutes ago, Jor-el said:

Changing the fuel consumption display unit

The display unit for fuel consumption can be switched.

The distance, speed, and amount units are also switched to match the selected fuel consumption unit.

1. Press and hold the multi-information meter switch for about 2 seconds or more to switch from the setting mode screen to the menu screen.

2. Lightly press the multi-information meter switch to select “AVG UNIT (fuel consumption display setting)”.

3. Press and hold the multi-information meter switch for about 2 seconds or more to display “AVG UNIT” (fuel consumption display unit setting).

4. Lightly press the multi-information meter switch to switch in sequence from km/L → L/100 km → mpg (US) → mpg (UK) → RETURN → km/L.

Thanks for the information, but how we can get the "Settings" mode ?

I can confirm what @Jor-el has explained is correct. Basically, the INFO button has two "press modes".

Short press: Selects the next item

Long press: Confirm or Enter

On pre 2014 models where the Mitsubishi Multi Communication System (MMCS) is available, this can be done much easier through the touch interface. The MMCS is connected to the CAN Bus of the car and the features in that is quite impressive.

IMG_20150830_175909_zps1mvavg66.jpg

Too bad it was not an option for the Lancer EX in Sri Lanka. It would be interesting to see if it can be installed though. Not sure if navigation will work though.

17 hours ago, vpsupun85 said:
  1. How accurate the economy indicator ?
    (Note: I'm getting 10-9 Kmpl in city and it's pretty much accurate. But it's indicating  19 kmpl in highway at 90Kmph but not sure about this )
  2. Where are the best places for after market stuff ? And repair places other than the company ?
  3. From where you guys are buying recondition spare pars ?
    (Note1: I got ABS sensor issue and had to replace from company and it was cost 44K per sensor. That's not reasonable at all )
    (Note2: All 4 A/C vents ( control tabs ) were broken when I got the car. Today I got two vents from spare parts seller in Negambo and other two were able to glue up. Had to remove most of the parts in instrument panel for this ;-( )
  4. Anything else I should know or care about as a newbie ?

Cheers guys,

Economy indicator is pretty much accurate. I had got 18.4kmpl on a long distance trip which was correct when calculated during refueling. 

Any good mechanic can repair basic maintenance stuff. I service my car only at the agents and it is not expensive compared to other agents. A full service (every 5000km) will cost you around lkr 8k-9k with oil filter replacement. Air filter is about 6k which is replaced every 20,000 km (for me its once a year).

I also make it a point to diagnose any issues in the car with the agent before deciding on where to repair. I can introduce you the service agent who takes care of my car at the agents. 

I had to replace sensor which regulates air into the combustion chamber (im not sure of the exact name) which I had to purchase from the agent but only 4 cars out of the whole lot had got that problem. Other than that it had been smooth sailing for the last 4 years. 

I mainly get the after market and other genuine stuff like abs sensors from a friend who hand carry stuff from Singapore. I have replaced 2 ABS sensors to date and it was close to half the price of the agents. Same story with the lights when I had to replace a headlight after an accident, I got it 1/3rd of the price at the agents. 

PM me if you need more information. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jor-el said:

Press the "info" button till it shows "setting menu" then press and hold it for 2 sec

Actually my problem was, "Settings" menu didn't appear for me. Finally it became visible when Ignition is "ON", gear is neutral and after parking brake applied.

1 hour ago, Harry (aq) said:

Economy indicator is pretty much accurate. I had got 18.4kmpl on a long distance trip which was correct when calculated during refueling. 

Any good mechanic can repair basic maintenance stuff. I service my car only at the agents and it is not expensive compared to other agents. A full service (every 5000km) will cost you around lkr 8k-9k with oil filter replacement. Air filter is about 6k which is replaced every 20,000 km (for me its once a year).

I also make it a point to diagnose any issues in the car with the agent before deciding on where to repair. I can introduce you the service agent who takes care of my car at the agents. 

I had to replace sensor which regulates air into the combustion chamber (im not sure of the exact name) which I had to purchase from the agent but only 4 cars out of the whole lot had got that problem. Other than that it had been smooth sailing for the last 4 years. 

I mainly get the after market and other genuine stuff like abs sensors from a friend who hand carry stuff from Singapore. I have replaced 2 ABS sensors to date and it was close to half the price of the agents. Same story with the lights when I had to replace a headlight after an accident, I got it 1/3rd of the price at the agents. 

PM me if you need more information. 

Thank you for such comprehensive replay.

I've done a long trip last week, down south and hill county . economy indicator never went below 15Kmpl but after the journey I got only 12Kmpl when refueling. Anyway, I'm still satisfied with that economy.

First service I've done soon as I bought the car, cost me more than 80K ( even after I got 10% discount ). I had to replace,

• ATF oil ( pain in the as* )
  • ABS sensor ( another pain in the as* )
  • 2 brake washers & brake oil fluid 

and regular service.

I've noted all the information you provided and will send you a PM regarding spares.

Cheers guys.

Edited by vpsupun85

On 26/12/2016 at 2:23 PM, vpsupun85 said:

Guys, may I know whether tire size,  235x40x18 is matching Lancer EX models or not ? Actually above tire set was removed from a Lancer GT or Evo.

The Lancer GT comes with 7 inch wide rims with +46 offset and comes with 225/45R18 tyres. This will fit.

The Evo X rims are 8.5 inch wide and +38 offset and comes with 245/40R18 tyres and they will have clearance issues on the back wheels for sure with stock suspension. So which rims are you using exactly?

I am running a set of Evo X BBS wheels on my Lancer RalliArt right now and they rub the wheel arch when there is more than 1 person on the back seat. (This is how it looks like) But if the tyres are 235/40R18, they will rub, but a lot less. A remedy is to roll the fenders. Otherwise your tyres will get damaged.

Edited by Davy
Corrected typo
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2016 at 9:18 AM, Jor-el said:

WOW. Never know such website is exist. Thanks for the info dude.

On 12/26/2016 at 11:17 AM, Davy said:

The Lancer GT comes with 7 inch wide rims with +46 offset and comes with 225/45R18 tyres. This will fit.

The Evo X rims are 8.5 inch wide and +38 offset and comes with 245/40R18 tyres and they will have clearance issues on the back wheels for sure with stock suspension. So which rims are you using exactly?

I am running a set of Evo X BBS wheels on my Lancer RalliArt right now and they rub the wheel arch when there is more than 1 person on the back seat. (This is how it looks like) But if the tyres are 235/40R18, they will rub, but a lot less. A remedy is to roll the fenders. Otherwise your tyres will get damaged.

Thank you for the reply Davy.

Actually I have stock rims comes with my Lancer EX and have no idea about other measurement other than the tire size, 205/60R/16.

Mentioned new tire set was published in the internet for selling along with the alloy wheels. I will share the advertisement in a PM so could you please refer it and let me know whether this matching for the Lancer EX. Please note sometimes I put 3 passengers so I should not be a problem with new these tires. I'm actually a noob for this subject so apologies if these questions are so stupid ;-) .

56 minutes ago, vpsupun85 said:

WOW. Never know such website is exist. Thanks for the info dude.

Thank you for the reply Davy.

Actually I have stock rims comes with my Lancer EX and have no idea about other measurement other than the tire size, 205/60R/16.

Mentioned new tire set was published in the internet for selling along with the alloy wheels. I will share the advertisement in a PM so could you please refer it and let me know whether this matching for the Lancer EX. Please note sometimes I put 3 passengers so I should not be a problem with new these tires. I'm actually a noob for this subject so apologies if these questions are so stupid ;-) .

Responded to your PM. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vpsupun85 said:

Thank you Davy for the PM. And I've a quick question for ya and others.

What would be the effect (specially, speedometer and economy meter ) on having a tire/rim set with a bigger diameter than stock ?

As I've mentioned in the PM, the difference in diameter between your stock rims and the ones you're going to purchase is negligible. So the effect on the speed 'o meter will be too small to worry about. Your current rim has a taller sidewall, but the 18 inch rims have a shorter one (lower "profile"), so the overall diameter is almost the same.

Also, since the new alloys are meant for the Lancer EX, they're the option with the least effect on the speed and economy meter. Bottom line is, don't worry about it.

If you really want to know the effect, punch in the old and new tyre sizes in the website* below:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

*Go to the "tyre comparison" section 

• Like 1