• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Or Axio? Update: Bought A Lancer! (Aka The B.r.a.t.t. Thread)

Bracket

Question

Hello Experts,

Excited to join Autolanka forums :D Waited almost for month for an admin to approve me ... anyway, whoever the admin that approved me, :smilie_liebe12:

Last December, I sold my good old Maruti WagonR ( 2008 model, 5yrs old, driven for 30000+ Kms) For 1.6mil. I was searching for a good car to buy ever since. ( that's how I ended up on autolanka) So now that I finally got approved I thought it's time to get expert ideas on buying my new vehicle.

My budget is 3.5mil - 4.0mil. I wanted to buy a japanese car and browsing the internet, Finally I decided that there are two contenders:

1. Toyota axio 161 1.3 X Grade (2013)

2. Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.6 GLX (2013)

Both the cars ( Brand New ) are being sold for 3.5 mil. for the permit. ( Lancer : 3,460,000 to be exact)

My priorities are:

-RELIABILITY
-Fuel Economy

-Spare Parts Availability

-Safety And comfort

-Handling

-Looks

- Resale value

Axio Dealers are mainly bragging of TOYOTA Reliability and Spare parts availability. They assured me I'm in deep trouble if I choose a mitsubishi because there are no spare parts in local market and I would have to buy spare parts only from agent paying a huge amount of money and I have to wait till eternity for mitsubishi agents to import parts from japan. And they also mentioned that unlike axio, I won't be able to sell the mitsubishi for a decent price. (if I wanted to, of course)

I called mitsu agents and they say they have spare parts for any vehicle they sell and I don't have to worry. However the sales guy said he have no idea on 3rd party parts availability.

So as you all can see i'm in a dilemma here. If you were in my position which car would you buy? And please be kind enough to mention why.. :)

This is my first post on autolanka, so please go easy on me if I have offended any rule.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bracket

One of my best buddies owns an Ex. He bought it down in 2008 for permit. He’s a sort of guy who doesn’t even know the basics of car maintenance and maintains his car in the worst possible way I can imagine. But, even with his poor maintenance the car has not let him down except for that well known ABS sensor issue which he managed to resolve under company warranty so, no issues in that either. He says that it does around 10kmpl within city limits and 14.5-155kmpl outstation. For a sporty and well spacious car, I think those fuel figures are very good. It’s excellent in handling and with that shark face a sure eye turner.

If I had the money, I wouldn’t even think about buying the Toyota. I would have considered the Lancer Ex, Mazda 3 or a Honda Civic. I mean, why would I spend my hard earned money on an overpriced ugly looking thing that looks like my grandpas car?

Thanks for the reply, lashneo.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. I know 3 permit holders that gave up their permits for 10lakhs to buy the 161 bought out from the japanese auction... the sellers quoted 4.6mil without the permit and 3.6 mil with the permit. they just gave their permits away, paid 3.6 mil and drove the car home happily.

You are welcome,

Fog lamp issue was not a major one, it was a issue with the contact points of th switch and it only appead after 5 year in my case. It is a rs 500 job with any electricial.

According to a friend who works at the agent, they have not come across any have any issues with the fan in new models (after 2011). carbon diposits on throttle body is an issue any car would have unless the engine is properly tuned up. thus, you dont have to worry about that if you tuneup the engine every 30-40 thousand kms. (mitsubishi recomends tuneup every 40 thousand kms). I did my last one at 80,000km.

My friend says the ABS sensor issue is addressed in the new models and was only existant in the models upto 2011. But logically thinking, a manufacturer of Mitsubishi's caliber will never allow these mistakes to repeat for years. in the old model, generally the abs issue came up under the period of warrenty. so most of these were rectified free of charge.

P.S. as Magnum pointed out get a dark coloured interior. light beige interior gets dirty easily..

and that gets the more close to the Evo's interior :D

They said I can select the colour of the vehicle, so I guess they'll let the buyer choose black interior or the beige interior too... ( i'm not sure)

They are offering beige

000138477_4.jpg

and a grey/black interior

000136385_6.jpg

Are you serious right now?? Thats frightful! :speechless-smiley-003::speechless-smiley-006:

Well my mind was almost made to buy the Lancer ... :sport-smiley-027:

Please, are there any other lancer users who faced the same issues??

Been following the thread closely but didn't comment because I am highly biased towards the Lancer EX when it's compared with other candidates of the same category. ;)

All of the issues mentioned by kush were covered under warranty. Since these are known issues in the model back then, I doubt the manufacturer just ignored them over doing the needful to ensure that they don't exist in the newer models. Just my 2 cents.

On the topic of Galant Fortis, there is a Lancer EX GT and it has a 2.0L engine with pretty much the same bells and whistles that the Fortis has to offer. I have seen one or two on the roads here but I am not sure if the agent brings it down. I've seen a couple of Fortis' around as well.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, lashneo.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. I know 3 permit holders that gave up their permits for 10lakhs to buy the 161 bought out from the japanese auction... the sellers quoted 4.6mil without the permit and 3.6 mil with the permit. they just gave their permits away, paid 3.6 mil and drove the car home happily.

Maybe… But, I think most of the guys who go for the corolla’s buy it not because of the looks. They buy it since they think it’s the safest option. Corolla’s have a very strong pedigree in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency. In SL those are the things that matters the most and majority of the people think it’s still a truth. But the reality is other manufacturers have come a long way and have improved their models a lot and their offerings are more cost effective. I know people who bought corolla’s but still drool over the looks of their neighbors or friends car from another brand. :D

• Like 1

Arm and leg? can you just believe they quoted 3.5 lakhs for the spoiler? :speechless-smiley-004:

Don't believe me: call the agent!

Not surprised. Was in the hunt for a spoiler for my car when I got to know a thing or two about prices at the agent. A personal importer told me that the new Montero bodykit costs close to 1 million at the agent and that he sells it for 6 lakhs. The same guy had Lancer EX and Evo X spoilers (OEM) for just 15,000 or so. There are certain things that you can avoid buying from the agent.

Maybe… But, I think most of the guys who go for the corolla’s buy it not because of the looks. They buy it since they think it’s the safest option. Corolla’s have a very strong pedigree in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency. In SL those are the things that matters the most and majority of the people think it’s still a truth. But the reality is other manufacturers have come a long way and have improved their models a lot and their offerings are more cost effective. I know people who bought corolla’s but still drool over the looks of their neighbors or friends car from another brand. :D

Maybe they should join AL. :sport-smiley-004: and get honest user reviews. Ind*a Trade*s (toyota importer) sales guy told me to never get a mitsu and they doesn't import it because they does not want to see their customers unsatisfied.

Edited by Bracket

Not surprised. Was in the hunt for a spoiler for my car when I got to know a thing or two about prices at the agent. A personal importer told me that the new Montero bodykit costs close to 1 million at the agent and that he sells it for 6 lakhs. The same guy had Lancer EX and Evo X spoilers (OEM) for just 15,000 or so. There are certain things that you can avoid buying from the agent.

I wont fit a Spoiler to car.. Never!

They frickin' drill the boot lid!

Certain items are available only with the agent and they rip you off like hell.

For instance my former EX radiator fan 2nd speed gave in and the car was over heating fortunately it was under warranty and was repaired FOC.

However in the bill cost of the item was indicated at Rs. 18,000/-.

Same issue came up in my uncles car which was unfortunately over the warranty period and guess what they quote Rs. 45,000/-

Fortunately a “good bass” was able to dismantle the thing and replace the worn out brushes which solved the problem at fraction of the cost.

Issue with Mitsubishis are that there are not many reliable supplies unlike for Toyota and Nissan which unfortunately affect the resale values due to high maintenance and repair costs.

Exactly..

Spoilers and even Hood railings are bolted to the body itself when it comes from manufacturer.

Have seen some hood railings and spoilers which are fixed with gum or some double sided tapes which are local aftermarket jobs.if the spoiler is genuine,dont be so scared to dril a hole rayher than gluying it.take it easy dude.have seen it has been done to rether expensive euro and end resut was similer to factory fitted.

• Like 1

Certain items are available only with the agent and they rip you off like hell.

For instance my former EX radiator fan 2nd speed gave in and the car was over heating fortunately it was under warranty and was repaired FOC.

However in the bill cost of the item was indicated at Rs. 18,000/-.

Same issue came up in my uncles car which was unfortunately over the warranty period and guess what they quote Rs. 45,000/-

Fortunately a “good bass” was able to dismantle the thing and replace the worn out brushes which solved the problem at fraction of the cost.

Issue with Mitsubishis are that there are not many reliable supplies unlike for Toyota and Nissan which unfortunately affect the resale values due to high maintenance and repair costs.

The issue you mentioned about supplies is a slightly artificial one caused by the lack of JDM imports of the same vintage. But fortunately quite a lot of parts are shared with other models so you are able to find most parts particularly in Colombo in most places.

Now radiator fans, particularly these dual speed ones are a rather tricky one. When it comes to single speed fans you can basically replace the fan motor with a suitable one and it does not have to be Mitsubishi. On the multi speed ones the situation becomes complicated. But it becomes a case of where do you get the parts from. As you know the agent's are not always the most cost effective source and sometimes you can defer to the internet or importers who import from Singapore and the Middle east.

The issue you mentioned about supplies is a slightly artificial one caused by the lack of JDM imports of the same vintage. But fortunately quite a lot of parts are shared with other models so you are able to find most parts particularly in Colombo in most places.

Now radiator fans, particularly these dual speed ones are a rather tricky one. When it comes to single speed fans you can basically replace the fan motor with a suitable one and it does not have to be Mitsubishi. On the multi speed ones the situation becomes complicated. But it becomes a case of where do you get the parts from. As you know the agent's are not always the most cost effective source and sometimes you can defer to the internet or importers who import from Singapore and the Middle east.

Yes Don I agree with you getting the parts down by yourself or through someone is definitely cost effective.

But at the same time cars like the EX are bought as daily runners and most of the time that is the only car so even few days off the road is an utter inconvenience to the owner.

This is why I guess the Toyotas are popular

hey guys how can i post pictures here? I pasted the links but that doesnt seems working

In the text editor toolbar, locate the tool labeled "Image". Click it and paste the image URL in the pop up dialog.

Yes Don I agree with you getting the parts down by yourself or through someone is definitely cost effective.

But at the same time cars like the EX are bought as daily runners and most of the time that is the only car so even few days off the road is an utter inconvenience to the owner.

This is why I guess the Toyotas are popular

Not every Toyota has good parts availability. Its fairly simple to find parts for a Corolla or a Hiace and probably an Allion or a Vios as well but anything else is a little tricky. The story of the brand new imported 141 is kind of the same as the Ex and same goes for cars like the N17.

Hopefully as the numbers go up spare part dealers will import used parts from Japan.

It takes time for Lancer spares to come to SL. Take CS models, now its easier to find spares for them than 3 years ago. same goes for EX as well. with more and more vehicles on the roads there will be demand for spares. it mainly takes time these Lancers are brand new and majority are maintained under agent atleast for the period under the warranty.. its been only 6 years since Ex was introduced. give it 2 more years, there will be a significant difference in spare part availability.

27092013347.jpg?itok=LVuF0gI3

083158591_083058880af03feabff9b0ec306770

376441_3.jpg

mitsubishi_lancer_2009_97969985009521841

20130902131020838083_l.jpg

Photo0162.jpg

Ahh finally images are being displayed... Thanks davy!

Okay guys. You are seeing Titanium and Red colors. If you were to buy the car, which color would you rather choose?

• Like 1

I wont fit a Spoiler to car.. Never!

They frickin' drill the boot lid!

I have no idea why fixing that spoiler in the video was that much trouble. If the spoiler confirms to lancer's specs, you can simply drill at the points where it is marked on the metal under your bootlid.

Oh btw I would vote for the deep blue mica one :)

Edited by E L N I N O

I have no idea why fixing that spoiler in the video was that much trouble. If the spoiler confirms to lancer's specs, you can simply drill at the points where it is marked on the metal under your bootlid.

Oh btw I would vote for the deep blue mica one :)

Thankz EL.

I have to buy the car b4 thinking abt spoilers anyway.

Red deffa. Ado bracket run your girlfriends past us also like this before you get married. We'll give you some professional input. Hell I'll even take a test drive or two and post the dyno figures. And cosumption

LMFAO :D

I'll let you to get a test drive or two after getting permission from Mrs. Rajawasan....

LOL