• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Would Be The Best Selection For Permit

Dhanushkapg

Dear AL Friends

My friend received doctor's car permit. He is uncertain what would be best to import. Here i listed his selection.Please post expert comments to select good vehicle.

Better to give details as well as reasons for selections also.

1. Toyota fortuner

2. Toyota rav 4.

3.Mitsubishi sports /montero

4.Kia sorento

5.Kia Sportage

6.. Hyundai santa fe

7.. Hyundai tuson

You ideas are very valuable

Just for curiosity..I am out of touch with the whole SL car market; which RAV4 is this ? The xport model RAV4 is not the same as the JDM RAV4 (This is progressively being scrapped out, you may notice that there is only a STYLE grade now available with an optional STYLE Sports pack and will be replaced in Japan only later this year).

What exactly does your Dr. friend need a SUV for ? Some in those lists are more off-road capable whilst some are just soft roaders. Some in the latter type is available in AWD and 2WD variants...If your friend is just going to be driving around town then you might was well go for a soft roader (so exclude 1 and 3),in which case you can even go for a 2WD and still have the illusion of having an AWD soft-roader. Then again a lot of people still go for 1 & 3 just for the show of it all and not because they have a purpose for it.

Of the two Toyotas the Fortuner is more off road capable whilst the RAV4 is not (you probably can drive through some mud puddles and sandy roads). The Fortuner is assembled in Thailand whilst the RAV4 for the most part is assembled in Japan but lets not get in to which would have better build quality but "usually"the finish and refinement of materials of JDM models are a bit higher (Isiad usually..there are plenty of exceptions to the case). The Fortuner is based on the Hilux and is more industrial like in ride quality (I am not saying it is bad), whilst the RAV4 is more car like (after all it has common roots with the Camry)

As for the Pajero...well it is a Pajero, but then again what you get for the permit is a pretty low grade ? The last time I drove a base grade was a fleet vehicle bought by humanitarian-aid agencies and it still was not too bad. Personally I find the monocoque construction of the Pajero a lot more controllable than the body-on-ladder construct of a Fortuner. Also the ride is more refined than the Fortuner on normal roads (again personal preference and I am not saying the Fortuner is bad refer to previous paragraph). However compared to the past models of the Pajero the new one does feel rather plasticy and in harsh driving conditions you kind of wonder if it is going to get you through to the other end. Also the Pajeros I drove had a lot of interior vibration when driving on rough surfaces at moderate speed (we are talking about pretty gravelly roads at about 30-40 kmph) something which I did not experience with the previous model Pajero or the Prado on the same road. Since the Fortuner is of a higher grade than the Pajero it might have more bells and whilstles and plastic jewelry bits than the Pajero which might be an attraction for some.

No idea about the Koreans though.

Sowhich one shoudl you

• Like 1

The RAV4 and the Montero are in two different categories. The RAV4 is a small soft roader whilst the Pajero is a proper off roader. each has its own merits in its own category. So comparing the two and determining which one you want is going to be like trying to compare apples with bananas. So it won't be fair for anyone to say you should buy one over the other. If you bring it down to these two then it finally boils down to what your friend would actually prefer based on his criteria which may range from fuel consumption to re-sale value to cabin space to off-roading capability to how much one can impress the neighbours with to what ever anything else he/she wishes.

What exactly does your Dr. friend need a SUV for ? Some in those lists are more off-road capable whilst some are just soft roaders. Some in the latter type is available in AWD and 2WD variants...If your friend is just going to be driving around town then you might was well go for a soft roader (so exclude 1 and 3),in which case you can even go for a 2WD and still have the illusion of having an AWD soft-roader. Then again a lot of people still go for 1 & 3 just for the show of it all and not because they have a purpose for it.

iRage are you implying a person should get a SUV, ONLY if he's planning on doing softcore or hardcore off roading? What's wrong with choosing a SUV over a sedan or a minivan solely based on aesthetics? Similar to how someone may prefer a brunet over a blond.

iRage are you implying a person should get a SUV, ONLY if he's planning on doing softcore or hardcore off roading? What's wrong with choosing a SUV over a sedan or a minivan solely based on aesthetics? Similar to how someone may prefer a brunet over a blond.

Sorry if I struck a nerve...but no....what I meant to say is people still do buy SUVs even if they don't have a purpose for off roading...even if it is for show or, as you quite correctly included in to the list, aesthetics. Although I must say..these days the soft roaders look more like a large station wagon and has lost that rough look to it (again..personal preference...not that there would be anything wrong with it, then there is the face lifted Prado that can give little kids night mares of alien invasions). I do miss the rear hanging wheels and front and bumper guards of the old RAV4s. Honestly I like the bare look of the base Pajeros , it can look a bit more "I want to strip off my plastic and go play in the mud" looking but still not too bad.

Sorry if I struck a nerve...but no....what I meant to say is people still do buy SUVs even if they don't have a purpose for off roading...even if it is for show or, as you quite correctly included in to the list, aesthetics. Although I must say..these days the soft roaders look more like a large station wagon and has lost that rough look to it (again..personal preference...not that there would be anything wrong with it, then there is the face lifted Prado that can give little kids night mares of alien invasions). I do miss the rear hanging wheels and front and bumper guards of the old RAV4s. Honestly I like the bare look of the base Pajeros , it can look a bit more "I want to strip off my plastic and go play in the mud" looking but still not too bad.

I like the first two gen. Pajeros with the jerry can, rear door mounted spare wheel and the bull bar :D

bdw are you guys referring as Pajero to the Montero or to the Montero Sports?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="iRage" data-cid="255579" data-time="1390530117"><p>

Sorry if I struck a nerve...but no....what I meant to say is people still do buy SUVs even if they don't have a purpose for off roading...even if it is for show or, as you quite correctly included in to the list, aesthetics. Although I must say..these days the soft roaders look more like a large station wagon and has lost that rough look to it (again..personal preference...not that there would be anything wrong with it, then there is the face lifted Prado that can give little kids night mares of alien invasions). I do miss the rear hanging wheels and front and bumper guards of the old RAV4s. Honestly I like the bare look of the base Pajeros , it can look a bit more "I want to strip off my plastic and go play in the mud" looking but still not too bad.</p></blockquote>

Actually, doesn't the montero sport suite that criteria. It has better ground clearance than the montero and if I'm nit mistaken, better suspension travel.

Speaking of choices, isn't the montero sport a good balance in between something like a RAV4 and a full SUV. Good cabin space, looks good, not as large as a SUV to manoeuvre.

Let's get realistic shall we?

In Sri Lanka, permit folks buy SUVs because

1. show-off capability

2. fuel economy and low maintenance

These will be never taken off road. In fact, they will be washed daily, kept in garages and used it only on carpeted roads.

The ability to off-road is totally irrelevant. Body roll, handling, ladder chassis etc are totally irrelevant in sri lankan context.

WIth that in mind, I would say go buy a diesel Montero or Sorento.

I was under the assumption that the OP was referring to the Pajero (like the full-sized one cause I thought the GL or something was offered on permit). and yes...the Montero Sport would fit in between the RAV4 and the Pajero (just like the Fortuner and has certain features similar to that with a different feel/characteristic to it I guess). Then again, the Montero Sport is also assembled in Thailand much like the Fortuner if the OP's friend actually cares about whether it was fully assembled in Japan or not.

and agree with Crosswind. Number 1 on his list was what jumped straight to my mind when I wrote the first post which kind of was offensive to some :). Sorry about that...I should have given the OP's friend the benefit of the doubt and presumed that he would at least use it for long hauls on less than perfect roads ?

I am bit peeved by these people as I was at the body workshop the last few days (Trueno needs some panel work done up inside) and a Prado driving D&*%$$ who was snooping in on my conversation with the garage owner told me that since I work abroad I should just trash my Trueno and buy a "tharamak aluth" car with a "gathiya" (I guess he was referring to a Prado much like his which he managed to smash the front end of)

• Like 1

I am bit peeved by these people as I was at the body workshop the last few days (Trueno needs some panel work done up inside) and a Prado driving D&*%$$ who was snooping in on my conversation with the garage owner told me that since I work abroad I should just trash my Trueno and buy a "tharamak aluth" car with a "gathiya" (I guess he was referring to a Prado much like his which he managed to smash the front end of)

The 2.5 petrol Prado is a joke mate. All that mass powered (barely) by an engine meant for sedans..

I was under the assumption that the OP was referring to the Pajero (like the full-sized one cause I thought the GL or something was offered on permit). and yes...the Montero Sport would fit in between the RAV4 and the Pajero (just like the Fortuner and has certain features similar to that with a different feel/characteristic to it I guess). Then again, the Montero Sport is also assembled in Thailand much like the Fortuner if the OP's friend actually cares about whether it was fully assembled in Japan or not.

and agree with Crosswind. Number 1 on his list was what jumped straight to my mind when I wrote the first post which kind of was offensive to some :). Sorry about that...I should have given the OP's friend the benefit of the doubt and presumed that he would at least use it for long hauls on less than perfect roads ?

The b$%&$rd! How dare he?!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="255655" data-time="1390562475"><p>

<br />

Theres a 2.5L Prado now? :speechless-smiley-019: :speechless-smiley-019:</p></blockquote>

Inline 4

Really ? I thought it was a typo when you said 2.5L...I thought it still came (ven after the facelift) with the 2TR-FE engine which was 2.7L.

The old one was less than 2000kg (1900 something) and the new one is i think close to 2100 kg...

Edited by iRage

Really ? I thought it was a typo when you said 2.5L...I thought it still came (ven after the facelift) with the 2TR-FE engine which was 2.7L.

The old one was less than 2000kg (1900 something) and the new one is i think close to 2100 kg...

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain whether it's a 2.5 or a 2.7. But it's a vehicle that goes up to 5.7 V8s, which are pretty awesome. The gap between 2. something I4 and a 5.7 V8 seems a tad too much.

Hmm..isn't it 4.7 V8 that comes in the Land Cruiser ?

Toyota Lanka's website shows a 2.7L I4 and a 4.0L V6 (which is the same as what you get in the JDM models.and two diesel engines. I think the 4.0LV6gasoline is the same as what you get in the smaller engine powered Land Cruiser as well.

Edited by iRage

Hmm..isn't it 4.7 V8 that comes in the Land Cruiser ?

Toyota Lanka's website shows a 2.7L I4 and a 4.0L V6 (which is the same as what you get in the JDM models.and two diesel engines. I think the 4.0LV6gasoline is the same as what you get in the smaller engine powered Land Cruiser as well.

No Machan, the top of the range has a 5.7 V8. It goes as Land Cruiser GX-R I believe. The same engine powers the Lexus LX 570 as well.

No Machan, the top of the range has a 5.7 V8. It goes as Land Cruiser GX-R I believe. The same engine powers the Lexus LX 570 as well.

Aha...yes that is a full size Land Cruiser....only heard of the GX-R's existence and it is not offered in Japan although read on a LC forum that there were some US left hand drive models around along with a few Tacomas and Tundras. The largest in Japan is the 4.7L. The full size is a large car though.

The Lexus GX460 which is based on the Prado comes with a 4.6L V8 (1UR-FE?) but I haven't heard of the actual Prado being offered with the engine., but you never know..maybe some market out there does have it.

Aha...yes that is a full size Land Cruiser....only heard of the GX-R's existence and it is not offered in Japan although read on a LC forum that there were some US left hand drive models around along with a few Tacomas and Tundras. The largest in Japan is the 4.7L. The full size is a large car though.

The Lexus GX460 which is based on the Prado comes with a 4.6L V8 (1UR-FE?) but I haven't heard of the actual Prado being offered with the engine., but you never know..maybe some market out there does have it.

The GX-R is all the rave here.

I wonder how much of the body is different from the Prado to the GX-R. At first glance, they look like they are the same size and have the same space.A colleague of mine owns a Prado and confirms it is 2.7 and has the same seating capacity as the larger versions.

Assuming it's largely the same vehicle (despite not having the Prado badge) the 2.7 should be seriously underpowered. I didn't ask this from my colleague of course :)

The GX-R is all the rave here.

I wonder how much of the body is different from the Prado to the GX-R. At first glance, they look like they are the same size and have the same space.A colleague of mine owns a Prado and confirms it is 2.7 and has the same seating capacity as the larger versions.

Assuming it's largely the same vehicle (despite not having the Prado badge) the 2.7 should be seriously underpowered. I didn't ask this from my colleague of course :)

Isn't the GX-R the Land Cruiser 200 ? the full sized version ? I know Toyota has a habit of swapping the Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado names in different parts of the world.

Then the Lexus GX460 (no idea what grades there are) is based on the Prado. In Tanzania seen quite a few Prados that have gotten the front end and rear panels swapped with the GX450

The Prado comes in 5 or 7 seater variants and either way the 2.7L is not enough especially if there are things called passengers or cargo on board. the previous version was under powered weighing in at around 1900 kg and the newer one is the same engine with 2100kg.

Anyway...OP..sorry for going OT. At least now you know a little about the Prado.

Again...final decision as to whether you want a RAV4 or a Pajero (full sized one) depends on your friend's preferences. I think someone also suggested the Montero Sport which is a similar category to the Fortuner if you want something else thrown in to the mix. Also saw the new Nissan X-Trail being offered on permit too (?? could it be just the advert ?). The new X-trail is supposed to be quite a departure from the old model and reviews suggest that it has gotten a lot better compared to the newer RAV4 and CR-V. Haven't seen the new X-Trail around yet though as it is still to be delivered. So there might be quite a wait for it.

iRage you are correct GX-R is the Land Cruiser 200 or what locals call the Sahara. 5.7 V8 variant I believe is only offered in Middle East and North American markets. Total overkill IMO. Americans and their fondness for big-a*s engines I guess (and Arabs fondness in doing everything Americans do lol). I read somewhere one of the main reasons the Mitsu Montero/Pajero was a flop in NA was due to the sub 4 liter engine it was offered with.