• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Disc Conversion

dingy

Guys my lancer A72 has drum brakes in the front..The brakes are not very effective after so many years of usage..i plan to upgrade them to discs..I searched panchikawatte for a suitable set...found two but both quoted insane prices..they needed to be restored aswell..just need to know if i could try a different model even if fabrication is needed

Thanks in advance

Edited by dingy

Guys my lancer A72 has drum brakes in the front..The brakes are not very effective after so many years of usage..i plan to upgrade them to discs..I searched panchikawatte for a suitable set...found two but both quoted insane prices..they needed to be restored aswell..just need to know if i could try a different model even if fabrication is needed

Thanks in advance

What was the insane price quoted?

.......The brakes are not very effective after so many years of usage........

AFAIK drum and disk brake have same brake power as long as the surface area is the same

Although Disks have little bit cooling efficiency over regular drum yet you will not gain anything significant under normal driving conditions

(Those huge "Laylends" have drum with vacuum brake system!)

Is it just brake power, why don't you restore your existing brakes (and save your money)?

If you need a cosmetic mod, disk conversion might be an answer.

Edited by nano31

That's insane! I got my disks from Panchi for 8000 a pair (rotors, calipers and the whole kit) in 2010. Spent about 4000 more on the bearings and to get the rotors resurfaced. If you can't get it for a price below 15,000 or so, it's not really worth it IMO.

As for compatible parts from other cars... you can hunt for ones that came for the Lancer Box. They're pretty much the same thing.

That's insane! I got my disks from Panchi for 8000 a pair (rotors, calipers and the whole kit) in 2010. Spent about 4000 more on the bearings and to get the rotors resurfaced. If you can't get it for a price below 15,000 or so, it's not really worth it IMO.

As for compatible parts from other cars... you can hunt for ones that came for the Lancer Box. They're pretty much the same thing.

Davy the ones which i have metioned above one is from a lancer box..only the disc could be bought from ebay for (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brembo-Brake-Disc-MITSUBISHI-Lancer-I-1-4-A72V-75-to-79-/330366560764?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ceb61a9fc).

Also tried to fabricate a set of ck2 discs but my tire rodsare in the back so it was not possible

Edited by dingy

Davy the ones which i have metioned above one is from a lancer box..only the disc could be bought from ebay for (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brembo-Brake-Disc-MITSUBISHI-Lancer-I-1-4-A72V-75-to-79-/330366560764?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ceb61a9fc).

Also tried to fabricate a set of ck2 discs but my tire rodsare in the back so it was not possible

Woah, so they quoted 38k just for the calipers, the shields and the mounting knuckles? Just keep looking around (especially in places outside Colombo), you will find a good set of disk brakes for cheap.

Great set of rotors those Brembos. If I were you, I'd wait until I find the brakes before purchasing the rotors from eBay.

Woah, so they quoted 38k just for the calipers, the shields and the mounting knuckles? Just keep looking around (especially in places outside Colombo), you will find a good set of disk brakes for cheap.

Great set of rotors those Brembos. If I were you, I'd wait until I find the brakes before purchasing the rotors from eBay.

Still didnt go for it..just finished the resto on the car..since there were tiny engine upgrades and a lot more to come braking has become quite an issue...

Edited by dingy

Still didnt go for it..just finished the resto on the car..since there were tiny engine upgrades and a lot more to come braking has become quite an issue...

Why don't you start a thread on your restoration? Rather than sharing your progress on multiple threads, I think everyone would like to see the progress you've made thus far and the obstacles (such as sourcing the brakes for example) you've had to tackle.

I for one would love to see another A72 being restored! :)

Why don't you start a thread on your restoration? Rather than sharing your progress on multiple threads, I think everyone would like to see the progress you've made thus far and the obstacles (such as sourcing the brakes for example) you've had to tackle.

I for one would love to see another A72 being restored! :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1431066797121006.1073741838.1390239041203782&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201401347104208&set=a.3469158936284.2130986.1490413379&type=1&theater(thats the almost complete build)

Will do soon davy asap

That's a nice plan you've got. Good luck with the project! Awaiting your thread.

By the way, the second link is broken.

That's a nice plan you've got. Good luck with the project! Awaiting your thread.

By the way, the second link is broken.

The Second link was for this..will upload a pic of the engine bay as soon as im done with the headers

BOjAc.jpg

Edited by dingy
  • Like 1

The Second link was for this..will upload a pic of the engine bay as soon as im done with the headers

Oho! Nice! I'm guessing the paint job is new?

Just my taste but I would have kept the originally chrome bits intact, like the headlamp rims and the bumpers.

This car came with drums on the front? Even the KE20 has discs...., just surprised...

Yeah, most of them had drum brakes all round. Only a few models (like the SL 5 forward) came with disks at the front.

Oho! Nice! I'm guessing the paint job is new?

Just my taste but I would have kept the originally chrome bits intact, like the headlamp rims and the bumpers.

Yep it was built from scratch.The bumpers were beyond repair thats why i had to go with black paint...painted the headlamp rims in black to suit as they were also not in good condition.Butthe beading and the rest of the chrome bits are all good

Oh it's you!! Aney Yako start your own damn thread!! You've done so much work on the car you have to have one! Kelum and I were talking about this a lot. As for brakes, you can find cheaper men just look around. There are places in Panadura also. And panchi, go to the watte itself. Dress up like a grease monkey and speak only Sinhalese.

• Like 2

Oh it's you!! Aney Yako start your own damn thread!! You've done so much work on the car you have to have one! Kelum and I were talking about this a lot. As for brakes, you can find cheaper men just look around. There are places in Panadura also. And panchi, go to the watte itself. Dress up like a grease monkey and speak only Sinhalese.

+1. I got mine from the Watte near BMC and they quoted 15,000 initially for the disks. After about half an hour of bargaining, I got the price down to 8000. I promised them I'd buy a steering box from them in the future as part of bargaining. :D I went there so many times to get various things for the car and on the last few times they were like "onna ohey keeyak hari denna mahaththaya." :D

I bought some stuff from a place in Wadduwa as well (MARY MOTORS if I can remember correctly). A scrap yard on the sea side of Galle Road as you enter the Wadduwa town. Got myself a set of rear drums, dial plates etc. Good to have a look if you happen to pass by. Not sure if the place is still there though. There's another yard between Ambepussa and Alawwa and there are KE20, KE50, KE70, A72, Sunny B211 and so many old car parts there including body panels.

Just gotta do a bit of looking I'd say. Don't be in a hurry and put in a set of disks that will ruin the car.

Yes komi will do asap.Will be taking the car to that guy you mentioned for the tuneup.

Looking at getting the headers done too.As for the rear coil conversion will have to wait till next month.

Yss hoonigan for the moment only the front ones..There is a set of rear ones for sale for 25k.