• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius, Honda Fit/ Vezel Recall Information

osaka_dude

recondition Prius owners beware!
Recalls are made for ALL Prius ZVW30 cars made between 2009~2014.
In japan they are fixed for free under JP-Law.
The power control computer can overheat and to avoid fire, car could go into fail-safe mode or stop while driving.
Repair method is software update and replacing the AC-DC inverter module.

for potential Prius buyers;You can find the affected chassis numbers in this table.
ZVW30-1000000~ZVW30-1795341 462,000 cars
ZVW30-5000004~ZVW30-5740951 450,000 cars
ZVW30-0052877~ZVW30-0333134 85,000 cars
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140212_634876.html

Toyota company page:

http://toyota.jp/recall/2014/0212.html

post-50074-0-20353900-1396856030_thumb.j

Edited by osaka_dude
  • Like 1

Perhaps contact Toyota Lanka and see. There is a small possibility TL might do it either at a discount or free as a gesture of goodwill. It's up to Prius owners in SL to put pressure on them and the parent Toyota company in Japan.

Normally for these recalls you don't have to be the first registered owner as its a manufacturers defect.

The only issue is that the prius was never officially sold in SL. So TL might not have the facilities nor the parts.

Edited by The Don

yes ,I agree with Don.

in Japan the legal requirements on car recalls are quite strict,Toyota will be in big-trouble if an accident/fatality happens due to refusal to repair for free.

Unfortunately in Sri Lanka we have no such legal mechanism yet,but if people start putting pressure on the Toyota agent in SL,it could work because Toyota Lanka should be legally responsible for Toyota head office press statements about this recall.

Edited by osaka_dude

Perhaps contact Toyota Lanka and see. There is a small possibility TL might do it either at a discount or free as a gesture of goodwill. It's up to Prius owners in SL to put pressure on them and the parent Toyota company in Japan.

Normally for these recalls you don't have to be the first registered owner as its a manufacturers defect.

The only issue is that the prius was never officially sold in SL. So TL might not have the facilities nor the parts.

AFAIK, they do sell the Prius and the PriusC (Aqua) brand new in SL now. but I'm not sure whether they will do any Software upgrades for any JDM Imports at free of charge. apparently saw a newspaper advertisement by some 3rd Party regarding this same issue.

Edit: Good news, checked the Agents web and found out this piece of news. it's better to contact them and see what they can offer.

http://www.toyota.lk/our-news/special-service-campaign-for-prius-zvw30/

Edited by Ruslan

AFAIK, they do sell the Prius and the PriusC (Aqua) brand new in SL now. but I'm not sure whether they will do any Software upgrades for any JDM Imports at free of charge. apparently saw a newspaper advertisement by some 3rd Party regarding this same issue.

Edit: Good news, checked the Agents web and found out this piece of news. it's better to contact them and see what they can offer.

Thanks for the info.But wonder why they call it a "service campaign ",there is a big difference between a "Recall" and a "Service campaign". In Japan ,a Recall is a mandatory repair obliged by law to protect the consumers,while service campaign is not.

And according to the original Toyota press release, software update alone may not be sufficient.

If the “check engine” warning lamps are ON, even after the software update, they replace the AC/DC inverter unit(quite expensive) for free.

I think Toyota Lanka should do the same.

IMO Toyota Lanka should take it more seriously and do it for free.

Edited by osaka_dude

I think we should look at it positively. In most countries they operate, they offer industry leading customer service. So best call them and confirm if you have an affected vehicle.

according to the original Toyota press release, software update alone may not be sufficient.

制御ソフト修正後に素子が損傷して警告灯が点灯した場合は、電力変換器(DC-ACインバータ)のモジュールを無償交換します。

watch out if the “check engine” warning lamps are ON, even after the software update, Toyota Japan will replace the AC/DC inverter unit(quite expensive) for free.

I think Toyota Lanka should do the same.

Well...not sure how Toyota Lanka will handle it....I have had experience with Toyota agents in other countries (Indonesia, East Timor and Tanzania) where things had to be replaced under such recalls (once a part of the electro magnetic coupling of a differential for a JDM RAV4/Vanguard and then some sensor to a gear box for the same which wears out prematurely under severe usage conditions; then a fuel pump for an African spec Hilux which was supplied in Indonesia by Toyota..okay the latter one was a warranty claim).

The RAV4/Vanguard was bought outside of the local Toyota dealer network in Tanzania. The part had to be shipped in. However, the part was free, diagnosis was free but labor was not and only discounted . Also we had to pay for shipping. <considering the cost of the replacement part we felt okay with paying the bill that was finally presented,also then again having to pay things like shipping might be one of the risks you would have to accept for buying grey imports ? they can always say the car was never meant to be in the place it is at now>

Well...not sure how Toyota Lanka will handle it....okay with paying the bill that was finally presented,also then again having to pay things like shipping might be one of the risks you would have to accept for buying grey imports ? they can always say the car was never meant to be in the place it is at now>

Yes I agree too, Toyota Lanka calling this a "service campaign " is a bit suspicious.there is a big difference between a "Recall" and a "Service campaign". In Japan ,a Recall is a mandatory repair obliged by law to protect the consumers,while service campaign is not.

And due to fire risk,this is a recall.

according to the original Toyota press release, software update alone may not be sufficient.

if the dashboard “check engine” warning lamp is ON, even after the software update, then the damage is already done to electronics unit.Toyota Japan will replace the AC/DC inverter unit(quite expensive) for free.

Just call them and get an appointment,and ask for full repair including the AC/DC inverter unit if necessary.

PS:definition of recall from Toyota homepage http://toyota.jp/recall/index.html

h_recall.gif

red_line.gif

sp.gif 自動車が道路運送車両の保安基準に適合しなくなるおそれがある状態、又は適合していない状態で、原因が設計又は製作の過程にある場合に、その旨を国土交通省に届け出て、ご使用のお客様にご連絡して無料で修理します。 sp.gif

when there is a risk that the car does not suit the Japan National safety standard for road vehicles and, the root cause is in the design or production process of the model, Toyota reports it to Japan Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport and contacts the customer who uses it, and repairs free of charge until the risk is cleared.

definition of Service campaign

h_service2.gif

red_line.gif

sp.gif リコールや改善対策に該当しないもので、商品性の改善等のために、国土交通省に通知し、サービスキャンペーンを実施しています。 お客様にご連絡するか、トヨタ販売店へご来店時にお知らせして点検・修理します。 sp.gifm_service.gif

other changes to improve useability ,which does not fall into Recall category.

clearly this is not the case for this recall.

Edited by osaka_dude

hmmm.. why all of a sudden? somone one in Kohuwala stuck with non-hybrid axios ??

Most likely.. non-hybrids car sales are down a bit from what I heard from a few importers.

hmmm.. why all of a sudden? somone one in Kohuwala stuck with non-hybrid axios ??

Even I thought of this, but since its a valid news item of value to people who own these cars, we've let it stand.

this is not intended for Prius or Hybrid-bashing.

I am an Engineer in the auto industry for over 7years now,of which 4years i spent in Japan.

I have nothing against Toyota,I have been inside the hi-security Toyota head office In Toyota-city,Nagoya to discuss technical matters.

I was feeling a bit awkward about the way Sri Lankan car sales people are taking the people for a ride,

so I decided to write about this news due to the risk to lives..

quoting from the original Toyota statement since i understand Technical Japanese..........

Acc. to Toyota JP, the warning light comes after the software update to fix it,

if there has already been damage to the computer and AC/DC module.( the old software cannot detect that there was damage.)

Then Toyota Japan will exchange the computer and AC/DC module for free.

maybe Toyota lanka will not like it if customers also demand replacing the expensive AC/DC module after the SW update........

but of course it is upto the intelligent forum readers to accept it or not.

Edited by osaka_dude
  • Like 1

summarized post from original comment

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15973-beware-prius-buyerstoyota-recalls-all-prius-made-in-japan-after-2009/page-2#entry259685

recondition Prius owners beware!
Recalls are made for ALL Prius ZVW30 cars made between 2009~2014.
In japan they are fixed for free under JP-Law.

Aqua,Axio are not affected.

The power control computer can overheat and to avoid fire, car could go into fail-safe mode or stop while driving.
Repair method is software update and replacing the AC-DC inverter module.

for potential Prius buyers;You can find the affected chassis numbers in this table.
ZVW30-1000000~ZVW30-1795341 462,000 cars
ZVW30-5000004~ZVW30-5740951 450,000 cars
ZVW30-0052877~ZVW30-0333134 85,000 cars
http://car.watch.imp...212_634876.html

Toyota company page:

watch out if the “check engine” warning light comes after the software update to fix it,

it means there has already been damage to the computer and AC/DC module.

( the old software cannot detect that there was damage.)

Toyota Japan will replace the AC/DC inverter unit(quite expensive) for free.

But Toyota Lanka is mentioning only a software update,and nothing about component replacement.

http://www.toyota.lk...or-prius-zvw30/

post-50074-0-30912700-1396876086_thumb.j

Edited by osaka_dude

dude Stop spamming the forum. no one gives a shit!

Hi friend, No intention to spam.

based on questions to my old post,I wanted to give a better summary easy to understand.

you don't need to give a sh!t unless you are affected.

• Like 1

Toyota Lanka already sent out invitation for a free s/w upgrade two week back, those who are registered with them would have got it. last time I checked the next appointment date available is 12 May. They don't do this upgrade on weekends.

Well from what I read and understood from the recall (which was issued what...beginning of February..sorry I didn't go in to the depths of it as..well Hybrids don't really apply to me) was that it needs a software re-flash as the control software could damage the components. Under the recall following the software update if the components are damaged (inverter) it will be replaced by Toyota. Also I thought the recall was for Prii from 2009 till 2012 or something whilst TL is calling up to 2014.

If so logically one can say that the first step is to actually have the software re-flashed and then diagnose the car for subsequent damage that could have been caused.So the inverter swap out is not mandotary but only probable whilst the software reflash is. Now TL says they will do the re-flashing part free buy says nothing about what they will do if subsequent damage has occurred.Wouldbe interesting ot see what TL will do if there is such a case...

Also from the Toyota article I read there is no reference to definite fire damage. Also, saying that it doesn't comply to JNS satandards can mean a whole lot of things ( a failure from a light not working to a seatbelt getting stuck to a fire can all fall in to this...I am saying this because there are a lot of Prii uses who read this and the last thingyou wnt is these guys to go aorund saying AL said that Prii catch fire..not to undermine the recall).

...since there are no other agents in SL I am also willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it is a bad use or lack of understanding of the terminology. Even Toyota has been quite liberal about the two terms and passed many recalls as "Limited Service Campaigns", most ridiculous was the serpentine belts of the 2ZE-xx engines. By the way...the recall for the RAV4 transmission (+ transfer case) was a service campaign to check for damage and change only if needed but nothing was said about what would happen if the thing failed whilst in use.

Also didn't someone post a newspaper article sometime back about some Hybrid importing car agent offering to do the repair as well ?

I am not saying local agents are perfect..probably far from it. Then again like Osaka dude says one does have to be shameful of "money groping car dealers" who go around claiming to the world that Hybrids are the best thing to happen to Sri Lankan motorists and everyone who drives a gasoline engine is a planet hating money wasting neanderthal stuck in the 90s. There is a reason why Toyota is aggressive with Hybrids in the Japanese market but not doing so in markets like SL...

I hope all the hybrid lovers who unduly tag experts here as "Hybrid Haters" realize that there is a valid reason to what is being said.

Dude...you just created another post ?? You are spamming....you could just ask the mods to move the previous thread or something without opening another one.

Thnx for the notice, I already closed the old one, just before you commented on it.