• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My A72 Build

dingy

I do apologize for the delay of this thread :speechless-smiley-004:.Finally found some time to post it.After a lot of ups downs and a lot of support from other petrol heads the build was successful ..

so let me start from the start........

This is the base car

DSC_0230_zps30acbec1.jpg

A little bit of history-The has been in the family for the last six years.First owner is my grandfather and it was never transfered after that.

After all of those years of usage the car was in bad shape.rust was coming out of all over the place

so first things first started off with the rust..stripped the car down to its bare metal and started off with the tinkering

all of the floor boards the firewall and doors were tinkered

DSC_0344_zpsb3b52650.jpg

lkl

DSC_0360_zps33dc9c5d.jpg

While the tinkering bit was been attended to did some custom work

DSC_0342_zps64df9e17.jpg

Built a custom member brace

DSC_0356_zpsa28f5b14.jpg

And this is the finished member brace

After the member brace started work on a adjustable strut bar.

1385470_1431067210454298_1442069382_n_zp

This is the finished strut bar

IMG-20140302-WA0001_zpse08f9da6.jpg

Paint work was the thing that took the longest time..The car was scraped to the metal and then oil primer was apllied

DSC_1215_zpsf6db6f0a.jpg

This pic was taken in the night right after the final coat was appllied

DSC_1321_zpsaae59b61.jpg

The engine was taken out and the 1200 was bored to 1400.A custom oil cooler setup and an air intake manifold was fabricated for a coldair ram intake manufold

DSC_1212_zpsc95732fb.jpg

Edited by dingy
  • Like 1

About time that you posted the thread! Wow, so the car has only one owner in the registration? That's rare.

Is green the original colour of the car? I remember an emerald green being one of the original colours. Anyway, looks like you've had to take care of quite a bit of rust. Nice work! Waiting for more updates.

A few engine mods i did

added a sickspeed sandwhich plate for the oil cooler

This is how it sits in the engine

DSC_1284_zps1415f8ac.jpg

Sourced an oil cooler from a 4dr5

DSC_0253_zps0e48e484.jpg

It was sprayed silver later

Since i was gonna run bigger jets in the carb got a Tomei fuel pressure regulator

DSC_1243_zpsb0fdb8ed.jpg

Why did you paint the oil cooler with silver ? Oil cooler is there for a purpose. isn't it ? so to radiate heat faster it should be kept black. Don't treat it as an ornament.

Oh ryt..so i guess i did a bad choice in color..anyways ordered a sickspeed oil cooler should arrive soon..

At the moment the a custom set of 4 2 1 headers are been made for it...will upload the pictures on the thread asap

Why did you paint the oil cooler with silver ? Oil cooler is there for a purpose. isn't it ? so to radiate heat faster it should be kept black. Don't treat it as an ornament.

It's quite the opposite actually.

Black is absorbent, silver is reflective. So if at all, it's the INSIDE that should be black so that it absorbs the heat from the oil better and silver on the outside, to prevent the radiator from absorbing unnecessary external heat. But I doubt this paint/colour would do any noticeable difference.

Black is absorbent, silver is reflective. So if at all, it's the INSIDE that should be black so that it absorbs the heat from the oil better and silver on the outside, to prevent the radiator from absorbing unnecessary external heat. But I doubt this paint/colour would do any noticeable difference.

A little rusty on my physics but if I remember right machan, black absorbs and dissipates heat the fastest compared to white or a polished surface, But I doubt the colour will have such a noticeable impact on this application.

@dingy, the one mounted now looks a bit busted because of the damaged fins. and I see Sickspeed is a favorite but you might find better deals other than sickspeed. They are not particularly well established as a brand and I've read reviews on some of their products failing due to lack of quality.

Black is absorbent, silver is reflective.

A little rusty on my physics but if I remember right machan, black absorbs and dissipates heat the fastest compared to white or a polished surface, But I doubt the colour will have such a noticeable impact on this application.

Just to clarify a point on conflicting statements on heat absorption and radiation (for I don't know a jack ass about restoration but read all the threads with an awe interest to learn). Both the statements are correct on their own right but please note that the heat transfer from within the the tube to the outer surface is by conduction (not radiation) and thus has no relevance to color of the surface (If it is solid to solid you need a silicone compound in between). In fact the for better conduction between a liquid (oil) and a solid (metal tube) you need not have any coating in between. Black absorbs and dissipates (radiates) heat better than any other color and hence all the radiators, heat-sinks are colored in black. But as many of you have pointed out the color in this application would not have a significant effect IMO too.

• Like 4

Hoonigan has a point. You can find better branded coolers. The one you have now is fine men. Dont overcool the oil. Your money might be better spent elsewhere

Me and Komi were talking about this exact thing. I was beeing a noob and was contemplating dropping some money on coloured silicone hose kit but after a few words realised the car can make better use of that money elsewhere. Slapping things on for the sake of it is a waste of money but I know how it can be so tempting :D

Just to clarify a point on conflicting statements on heat absorption and radiation (for I don't know a jack ass about restoration but read all the threads with an awe interest to learn). Both the statements are correct on their own right but please note that the heat transfer from within the the tube to the outer surface is by conduction (not radiation) and thus has no relevance to color of the surface (If it is solid to solid you need a silicone compound in between). In fact the for better conduction between a liquid (oil) and a solid (metal tube) you need not have any coating in between. Black absorbs and dissipates (radiates) heat better than any other color and hence all the radiators, heat-sinks are colored in black. But as many of you have pointed out the color in this application would not have a significant effect IMO too.

Well there you go, as comprehensive as it gets :)

The silicone compound (heat sink?) is to create a "seal" between the heat transfer surfaces I take? to maximise the surface area in contact with each other?

Me and Komi were talking about this exact thing. I was beeing a noob and was contemplating dropping some money on coloured silicone hose kit but after a few words realised the car can make better use of that money elsewhere. Slapping things on for the sake of it is a waste of money but I know how it can be so tempting :D

Well there you go, as comprehensive as it gets :speechless-smiley-006:

:speechless-smiley-006:

The silicone compound (heat sink?) is to create a "seal" between the heat transfer surfaces I take? to maximise the surface area in contact with each other?

Yep u are correct..The car is yet at the workshop getting the headers done....Still couldnt get any pics of it since i have not seen it...need to work on the rear suspension asap..My mechanic has still not come after "awrudu"..i need him to remove the leaf springs so that i could get it re-cambered..the rear shocks have to be changed..the rear suspension is really stiff ..also the new clutch plate and the pressure plate will go in as soon as the mechanic gets here

As for the frontdisks still looking for a solution.I was told that there is a yard in kurunagala and that they might have it..planning to do a trip on the bike to kandy.of all goes well will drop in to the yard to source for some parts.....

May I also point out, the amount of cooling you have just needs to be relative to the application and the amount of cooling you need. For example if its an N/A engine with no oil cooler originally integrated, you probably don't need one unless you plan to race the car. A good radiator with a an electrical fan and correct thermostatic control should be all you need.

Remember engine oil being warm isn't a bad thing ;) A cold engine is not a great thing to have either!

Guys an update..this is the completed set of headers waiting to get back in to the engine bay.A final coat of paint will be applied on it before it goes in tomorrow

Also can u guys suggest a good colour for it .

DSC_1470_zps60a10436.jpg

Edited by dingy

I thought you were going to turn out the manifold in chrome (to complement the air intake). But if I were to pick a colour, it would be silver I guess. One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to use primer and paint that will withstand extremely high temperatures. I don't think regular high heat paint (stuff that we use to paint brake calipers and valve covers will do).

One question: Any particular reason going for a 4-2-1 manifold instead of the stock 4-1? As far as I know, 4-2-1 manifolds are used mostly in conventional cars whereas 4-1s are used in performance vehicles as it offers more power at high revs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.