• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Engine Shakes When In Low Speeds (In Traffic)

sampathapg

Question

I have identified a strange problem on my Corolla (1998 / Auto) car.

The engine shakes when in low speeds (in traffic)

I have already replaced engine mounts, fuel and air filters, spark plugs, fuel pump.

throttle body and IAC valve also have cleaned and tuned up the engine.

Pls help me to solve this issue. Thanks.

16 answers to this question

Is there a misfire kinda feeling associated with this shake you are experiencing ?

have you checked the condition of your plug wires ?

Yes, Like a misfire. Plug wires are ok. I checked them with Ohm meter and the resistance was 20-25k.

Yes, Like a misfire. Plug wires are ok. I checked them with Ohm meter and the resistance was 20-25k.

You can't really conclude if a set of plug wires are good just by measuring resistance alone. I too had a set of wires which had correct resistance all across but two of them had a leak near the outer part where the top part of the plug goes in.

Here was mine. Notice the white spots ?

10246694_10152745628288508_6180922311738

Sounds like gearbox downshift sensor is gone.

If this is the case, I guess it can be checked by shifting into Neutral when in traffic. If the engine still vibrates, then it's probably not an issue with the gearbox.

Since OP has said that it feels like a misfire, check the ignition system like NRX has suggested. Could be a faulty ignition lead or coil.

Edited by Davy

I just wanted to know Crosswind,

1. Is it feel like persistent one?( for eg; when you slow down in traffic and ride in slow low speed with accelerator released?)

2.Also, can we feel ( or are we suppose to feel) downshift of a non cvt autobox? (sometimes I'm getting such feeling at last second or two of the ride, when I smoothly brake the car to stop. its not a rough feeling)

I have already replaced engine mounts, fuel and air filters, spark plugs, fuel pump.

Idle RPM? Also is this a car you bought recently?

I too had this prob with my Starlet after the engine tuning guys messed with the acceleration.

I just wanted to know Crosswind,

1. Is it feel like persistent one?( for eg; when you slow down in traffic and ride in slow low speed with accelerator released?)

2.Also, can we feel ( or are we suppose to feel) downshift of a non cvt autobox? (sometimes I'm getting such feeling at last second or two of the ride, when I smoothly brake the car to stop. its not a rough feeling)

If the downshift is not happening correctly, then the car will keep vibrating once you reduce the speed from a high speed to a low speed. It may even have a delayed shift. Normally when downshift happens, you would have a vague vibration. Not a rough one as you said.

What RPM does the car idle at ? did you have any remapping done to your ECU recently or removed the battery for a long period ?

BTW try this and get back to us, try driving in L or 2 and see if this still persists (Dont recommend doing this in traffic)

You can't really conclude if a set of plug wires are good just by measuring resistance alone. I too had a set of wires which had correct resistance all across but two of them had a leak near the outer part where the top part of the plug goes in.

Here was mine. Notice the white spots ?

10246694_10152745628288508_6180922311738

Thanks, I will check them and back to u