• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 307 Engine Knock / Rattle / Ping Issue When Ac Load

tilvin

Dear Friends,

My car is 2002 Peugeot 307 - 1587cc hatchback - triptronic. It runs perfectly OK with AC on in the mornings until it reaches operating temperature. But when it reaches 90 - 95, engine knocks / ping(or rattle) when accelerate at low speeds - Eg. When taking the car from stop. I am suspecting the distributer is advanced too much? Pls assist with your suggestions.

Thanks,

Tilvin

Dear Friends,

My car is 2002 Peugeot 307 - 1587cc hatchback - triptronic. It runs perfectly OK with AC on in the mornings until it reaches operating temperature. But when it reaches 90 - 95, engine knocks / ping(or rattle) when accelerate at low speeds - Eg. When taking the car from stop. I am suspecting the distributer is advanced too much? Pls assist with your suggestions.

Thanks,

Tilvin

Doubt if your car has a distributor, most probably a COP set up. Is the car overheating? When was the last time you had a proper tune and fuel system, clean up?

Don, could it be using lower Octane fuel?

Best thing would be first go the cheap route, get a complete Fuel system clean done. A simple 3M job will suffice. Place like PitStop or Auto mirage might help.

If that is too much trouble, pour in a bottle of 3M fuel /injector cleaner, fill up with 95 and go on the E01/E03 for a long run and and drive the shit out of the car... :)

Its called the Italian tune... :)

Edited by VVTi

Don, could it be using lower Octane fuel?

Best thing would be first go the cheap route, get a complete Fuel system clean done. A simple 3M job will suffice. Place like PitStop or Auto mirage might help.

If that is too much trouble, pour in a bottle of 3M fuel /injector cleaner, fill up with 95 and go on the E01/E03 for a long run and and drive the shit out of the car... :)

Its called the Italian tune... :)

Could be, but usually when its lower octane you gets the knocks even when the engine is cold. You are probably an expert, as Forester STIs nearly always had this slight knock as local fuel was never up to the octane levels needed, unless you diluted it with toluene I believe?

I've not heard of this being an issue with the 307. First point of call in a Euro is a diagnosis, and thanks to its stand OBD II port its a simple job if you have one of this ELM compatible bluetooth devices.

Hi Friends,

Thanks all for your assistance. I am amazed at your quick replies.....

Actually I am using Octane 95 for this from the purchase.

Actually one month back there came a spark plug misfire and we replaced all 4 spark plugs(original french one), airfilter and fuel filter. At that time my mechanic removed the throttle body and cleaned using carburettor spray (As I remember he did not remove injectors). But as I remember I have run the car with that small misfire around 3 days hoping it might be automatically get corrected. During that only this ping / knock developed. I suspect now, there can be carbon deposits as you suggested. How we can remove carbon deposits? Since this Peugeout, will automirage can assist?

Thanks,

Tilvin

Forester needs to run on 98... but is it s ok with 95 to a certain level. You still get the knock at certain RPMs but I take the foot off the gas then. See Toluene and what not is fine, but daily running it will take a toll on the rubbers in the pump and the lines.

We can but the octane boosters in here that will ratchet up the RON by about 3-4 numbers.

Hi Friends,

Thanks all for your assistance. I am amazed at your quick replies.....

Actually I am using Octane 95 for this from the purchase.

Actually one month back there came a spark plug misfire and we replaced all 4 spark plugs(original french one), airfilter and fuel filter. At that time my mechanic removed the throttle body and cleaned using carburettor spray (As I remember he did not remove injectors). But as I remember I have run the car with that small misfire around 3 days hoping it might be automatically get corrected. During that only this ping / knock developed. I suspect now, there can be carbon deposits as you suggested. How we can remove carbon deposits? Since this Peugeout, will automirage can assist?

Thanks,

Tilvin

Try a 3M cleaner route first and see. If that fails, then take it to one of teh Pug mecanics here. PM Harshan, a member with a lot of Pug knowledge.

Hi VVti,

I could not get much idea about 3M cleaner route. Do we need to buy any 3M cleaner and mix with the fuel or needs to be done with any machine? Can you explain more? Also how much will it cost approximately?

Thanks,

Tilvin

3M injector clear is a black bottle. Next time you go to a LAUGFS station, check if they have one, if they do, buy one, around 3000LKR, You open the bottle, pour it into the fuel tank, fill the tank with petrol and go for a drive. Ideally do it when you next go on a long trip that way the constant flow of solvent will clean the lines and injectors better. This is a stop gap measure only, if this does not solve the issue, you might need to go the more comprehensive manner of checking for errors, manually cleaning the injectors, etc

Edited by VVTi

Actually one month back there came a spark plug misfire and we replaced all 4 spark plugs(original french one), airfilter and fuel filter.

While you are going about the solutions suggested by VVTi and The Don above, check if the replaced spark plugs carry the same part number as the original one just to ensure that they are in the same heat range. If they are different post both numbers here to see what the heat range is (it should be 6 I believe for Bosch).

Hi Friends,

As I did some googling I found BG44K fuel system cleaner, Wurth injector cleaner and 3M injector cleaner. Which product will suit my issue most? Pls assist.

Tilvin

Any one of them should be ok. I am more of a 3M fan.

I used BG44K once. Then ran on the Southern Expressway. After a week or so when I started my engine in the morning, my low oil pressure indicator lit up. It did not go away and the sound of the engine was different. Took it to my mechanic and he said he cleaned some plugged oil valve. I suspect all the combustion chamber gunk had to go somewhere.

I did this treatment because of an engine knock or similar sound (only after engine warms up and on low speed acceleration) on a Hyundai. I changed the timing belt (was due), new fuel filter, cleaned TB, flushed cooling system and put 1-step higher colder plugs. I use Euro 3 and I still have the sound. Now I am thinking it must be the valve lash that needs adjustment. I also must check fuel pressure.

Please update this thread once you get yours fixed. Good luck.

Edited by MAS
  • Like 1

Dear Friends,

Thanks,

Tilvin

If it isn't sorted out with The Don's and VVTi's recommendations, check for an air leak inlet or exhaust system. I have had similar issues with one of my previous Alfa 156s. Once it was from the exhaust manifold gasket and once the exhaust manifold had a tiny crack in between two branches. When the temp went up the gap would widen due to expansion of metals and voila!

• Like 1

It is nice to hear that your problem was solved. But according to basic electrical principles we've learnt you should have had more problem in starting the car (unless you always "push-start" it :D) if the battery terminals were loose. But then again we live in an era of huge passenger planes just disappearing into the thin air, it could be that what we learnt is not valid any more!

Thanks Tilvin.

For once in AutoLanka, OP asked a question and thanked himself for solving the issue. :D

But seriously, who would have thought it's such a simple thing!

• Like 5

Thanks guys. May be my conclusion might be wrong. Because today also I noticed a light knock when accelerating and climbing a hill. I will have a check on that....:). Thanks all for your valuable comments with sense of humour....:)

• 2 months later...