GayanR

Tire Air Leak

Question

GayanR    86

Guys there is an air leak in one of my car tires.Showed it to my hometown tire house, seems to be air leaking from alloy wheel seals,they sand paper the beading and refitted.But still tire getting flat out within like a week..could you plz recommend me a place around colombo to seal alloy wheels and get this fixed.Tanx

Edited by GayanR

12 answers to this question

Amila_Silva    20
Guys there is an air leak in one of my car tires.Showed it to my hometown tire house, seems to be air leaking from alloy wheel seals,they sand paper the beading and refitted.But still tire getting flat out within like a week..could you plz recommend me a place around colombo to seal alloy wheels and get this fixed.Tanx

I had the same issue with one tire of my car and it was fixed when applied the tire air sealant. I don't recall the actual brand name of that product but they are now available in lot of places. They have a chart and according to the tire capacity they inject the appropriate sealant through the valve. I applied it to my two front wheels and cost me 1600 LKR.

However, after a weak I visited car ca*e for wheel alignment and they asked me whether I have applied this particular sealant because they couldn't balance those two wheels due to the sealant is fluctuating inside the tire. There is no affect to wheel alignment, only the balancing could not be done.

GayanR    86
I had the same issue with one tire of my car and it was fixed when applied the tire air sealant. I don't recall the actual brand name of that product but they are now available in lot of places. They have a chart and according to the tire capacity they inject the appropriate sealant through the valve. I applied it to my two front wheels and cost me 1600 LKR.

However, after a weak I visited car ca*e for wheel alignment and they asked me whether I have applied this particular sealant because they couldn't balance those two wheels due to the sealant is fluctuating inside the tire. There is no affect to wheel alignment, only the balancing could not be done.

Tanx Amila for the info.I went to to this Amila Tyre garage in hill street.Got it resolved by applying some sealant and smoothing the alloy wheel beading.Hope it will last

The Don    441

Yes, you can also get the alloy wheel repaired by Macro if its gone out of shape.

GayanR    86
Yes, you can also get the alloy wheel repaired by Macro if its gone out of shape.

Tanx Don,will note it down..

The Stig    611

Guys reviving an old thread since I have a tire leak.
I am loosing about 5-6 psi per week on my left front tire. I have tried 3 places arround Kotte but none were able to diagnose any punctures or leaks. Everytime the tire is put in the water barrel there are no bubles coming.

What could be the cause? Is there any tire shop equipped with some sort of a high tech solution like a machine other than the water barrel technique?

lkRaven    3

I had a similar issue, but managed to find it with the water barrel technique after much struggle. There was a small nail inside the tire threads, too small to notice the bubbles if you didn't look hard. In my case I lost about 3-4 units a week with this puncture.

• Like 1

sathyajithj99    261

I had the same issue a few years back. Turned out to be a small nail. Water barrel technique is not successful with these kind of small nails. Careful inspection might be helpful to find the cause.

• Like 1

Maxii    2
6 hours ago, The Stig said:

Guys reviving an old thread since I have a tire leak.
I am loosing about 5-6 psi per week on my left front tire. I have tried 3 places arround Kotte but none were able to diagnose any punctures or leaks. Everytime the tire is put in the water barrel there are no bubles coming.

What could be the cause? Is there any tire shop equipped with some sort of a high tech solution like a machine other than the water barrel technique?

Any chance that your tires are Champiro GT's , because I had the same issue with them

The Stig    611

I guess I will have to do it the hard way. Thinking about going to U&h on the weekend since that is where I bought the tires.

@Maxii
No the tires are bridgestone.
Did you have the issue with all 4 tires?

Davy    1,393
6 hours ago, The Stig said:

I guess I will have to do it the hard way. Thinking about going to U&h on the weekend since that is where I bought the tires.

Did you try the spray bottle method? Basically fill a spray bottle with soapy water (shampoo works best) and spray all over the tyre and carefully look for bubbles. Pay close attention to the bead of the tyre (both sides) and also check the valve stem as well. Pretty simple DIY job and works better than submerging in water if the leak is very small like yours. 

• Like 2

The Stig    611
3 hours ago, Davy said:

Did you try the spray bottle method? Basically fill a spray bottle with soapy water (shampoo works best) and spray all over the tyre and carefully look for bubbles. Pay close attention to the bead of the tyre (both sides) and also check the valve stem as well. Pretty simple DIY job and works better than submerging in water if the leak is very small like yours. 

No didnt try that, ill give it a shot.

One thing i have noticed it that the tire looses more pressure when the car is left idle for 1-2 days. I pumped 30psi on Tuesday and checked today and it was at 29 psi.

LashNeo    98

As Davy has mentioned; Keep a close attention to the area where your rim meets the tire (tire bead). Sometimes teeny weeny leaks in this area cannot be diagnosed by submerging the tire inside a barrel as the water pressure would be too heavy. Instead try what Davy has mentioned or else keep the tire on a flat surface and pour little bit of water around the bead and observe carefully. The latter method helped me to diagnose a similar leak which was caused by a small sticker getting stuck between the rubber bead and the rim.