• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Mitsubishi Galant

Sierra Charlie

You can certainly lower but it might destroy the reason why you bought this car in the first place. Its a nice comfortable sedan, and lowering will probably increase handling, but it will reduce suspension travel, might need stiffer springs to keep it bottoming out and this will give a firmer ride.

yes yes. this has been exhuastively explained to Sierra Charlie Golf Tango Fox in my PM! :)

MITSUBISHI GALANT (1998 September, Printed in Japan)

(It is a lengthy catalog with 40 pages and I uploaded most important pages only)

Page 1

1_zps5fc6e553.jpg

Page 2 : Check the gap between wheel arch & the wheel. (Also see specification page)

3_zps84a95128.jpg

Page 3

13_zpse4a3f09e.jpg

Trim Levels

Page 4 – 1800GL (Click for high resolution version. Also see page 10)

7-Copy_zps70c4463d.jpg

Page 5 – 1800/2000 Super Saloon (Click for high resolution version. Also see page 10)

9-Copy_zpsb535819a.jpg

Page 6 - 2500VR (Click for high resolution version. Also see Page 10)

11-Copy_zps8fdc606a.jpg

Page 7 - Specifications

2_zpsf8106c40.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

The car came with either 15" or 14" alloys. I can't imagine why the previous owner would swap 15" alloys for 14" originals and the B pillar sticker confirms the sizes. Been ogling at the new Fortis a few of times and even those seem to have a relatively a large gap. maybe @Bracket or @E L N I N O can confirm.

Welcome to the forum and the Mitsubishi fan club!!

Yes, I think lancer got the large gap because mitsubishi increased the ground clearance to accommodate bad road conditions here in SL.

I cant see the pic you have uploaded. Can you upload it to flicker?

I'll attach a pic so you can compare it with yours.

14661630864_883700350c_b.jpg

Edit: managed to get the direct link for your photo:

DSCN0214.JPG

Edited by Bracket

yes yes. this has been exhuastively explained to Sierra Charlie Golf Tango Fox in my PM! :)
You can certainly lower but it might destroy the reason why you bought this car in the first place. Its a nice comfortable sedan, and lowering will probably increase handling, but it will reduce suspension travel, might need stiffer springs to keep it bottoming out and this will give a firmer ride.

Yep. Komi was kind enough to explain a lot in his PM. Lowering or any suspension change/upgrade will be a very calculated decision and I need to make a compromise between safety, comfort, handling, longevity and economy.

MITSUBISHI GALANT (1998 September, Printed in Japan)

(It is a lengthy catalog with 40 pages and I uploaded most important pages only)

Page 1

Page 2 : Check the gap between wheel arch & the wheel. (Also see specification page)

Page 3

Trim Levels

Page 4 – 1800GL (Click for high resolution version. Also see page 10)

Page 5 – 1800/2000 Super Saloon (Click for high resolution version. Also see page 10)

Page 6 - 2500VR (Click for high resolution version. Also see Page 10)

Page 7 - Specifications

Sampath, thank you very much for sharing this. My Galant's model code is EA2ASNHER and this confirms the tyre size. It's 195/65/14. Incidentally this model is rated for a max speed of 200 km/h. Plenty! :sport-smiley-004:

Would love to have the complete catalogue. :) Would it be possible for you to share it with me if you can find the time?

Welcome to the mitsubishi club,

And most galants i've seen have that issue, the wheels look like they are seperated from the car,

I would suggest you use higher profile tiers the next time you change them,

Nice car really love galants I used to call this model the "mora" till the EX came along

Congratulations on your car and by god, so many Mitsu boys :D

I loved how this Galant looked compared to all it's successors. And it has aged really well. But that wheel gap is monstrous though. On this case, I'm not sure lowering is the best way to go. Maybe if you go for 15" (or 17" maybe) it might look better.

• Like 1

Congratz on your purchase.. I too drive a Mitsubishi Galant the diesel variant though.
Welcome to the mitsubishi club,

And most galants i've seen have that issue, the wheels look like they are seperated from the car,

I would suggest you use higher profile tiers the next time you change them,

Nice car really love galants I used to call this model the "mora" till the EX came along

Congratulations on your car and by god, so many Mitsu boys :D

I loved how this Galant looked compared to all it's successors. And it has aged really well. But that wheel gap is monstrous though. On this case, I'm not sure lowering is the best way to go. Maybe if you go for 15" (or 17" maybe) it might look better.

Thanks mates.

@Clarks Son Yep. this is known commonly as the Mora Galant or the DIG Galant. So the cops seem to be a bit wary of randomly stopping the car.

@Clarks Son @@Hoonigan Yeah the wheel gap. :speechless-smiley-004: .

Edited by Sierra Charlie

Sure sign of autolanka becoming old people's car forum:-) Few years ago it used to be all about hondas and their random bhp figures... I wonder what the young people do nowadays

They spend 100 000+ on a phone, 100 000+ on a tablet 100 000 on a pc 200 000+ on a laptop, Spend the rest of the money for their girlfriends to show off and,

Ride a motorcycle home which may be run over by an old man driving his old car

• Like 2

Hey, don't knock on motorcycles man. Some of them cost more than some regular cars.

Back to the Galant, now that you're up to speed with what is available where, what are the plans for the near future?

• Like 1

OK guys, before the update I think I should tell a bit about the car itself. The previous owner of the car is living abroad now and the car has been sitting in one place for little more than two years with very little running. The last service was done at Unit#d Mot#rs sometime in November 2011 and from then till I bought it in April this year, it has done only around 7000 kilometers. There were no maintenance records on the car when I bought it. So I was a bit worried when I was checking the car. However, I managed to verify the details independently from Unimo and a trusted party who has known the car. The previous owner has owned two vehicles and he has taken all the records with him abroad.

The car was used by a friend of the owner while he was in the country for a short while. So I think the shoddy repair work on the buffer happened during that time. They replaced the belts, the battery and some other items when they sold it to me. But I got the car serviced and replaced the oil filter and the air filter as soon as I drove it away. I used the car for about 1000-1300 kilometers from April till now.

As of now, I've had to replace two engine mounts, a water jacket and carry out a repair on the upper arm. I addressed a loose hand brake, vibration on front brake pads, excessive play on the gear lever, a very tight window wiper and a faulty fuel gauge. All running maintenance and probably results of extended parking.

I managed to clean the throttle body following a thread created by @jdnet and some YT videos by ETCG.

What's due mechanically are the following.

1. Injector cleaning
  2. Spark plug replacement
  3. Tuneup
  4. Fuel filter replacement
  5. Replacement of shocks (This is not urgent I reckon. Planning to wait on this a bit.)

As for cosmetics, Planning the following.

1. A spoiler or perhaps a subtle body kit
  2. A set of larger alloys. Probably in gunmetal color

I would love to find a owner's manual on the car. Didn't come with one and I couldn't find one on the internet. This is going to be important since i plan to replace everything except the timing belt shortly. Then I would know when any of the replacements are due without having to guesstimate.

Ideas are welcome. :)

• Like 2

They spend 100 000+ on a phone, 100 000+ on a tablet 100 000 on a pc 200 000+ on a laptop, Spend the rest of the money for their girlfriends to show off and,

Ride a motorcycle home which may be run over by an old man driving his old car

Machan, you basically described a guy in our office and the bugger got married at 21. :sad-smiley-067:

• Like 1

The first thing you need to do is to replace the timing belt with an original. If the car has not been in use for a while, the rubber in belts do tend to suffer. Also get your wheels aligned and while doing so ask the company to check on the suspension bushes. Rubber and electrical connections are what suffers most due to underuse.

The first thing you need to do is to replace the timing belt with an original. If the car has not been in use for a while, the rubber in belts do tend to suffer. Also get your wheels aligned and while doing so ask the company to check on the suspension bushes. Rubber and electrical connections are what suffers most due to underuse.

Don I was told that the timing belt was changed in April 2013 but I don't have paperwork to back it. Think I should get the timing belt and the water pump checked thoroughly. Suspension bushes weren't on my list. They are, now.

My advice would be for you to change the timing belt without relying on the seller's claims, especially if there are no records of the repair. Even if there were records, I'd have the timing belt and the mechanism visually checked at least, just to make sure.

My advice would be for you to change the timing belt without relying on the seller's claims, especially if there are no records of the repair. Even if there were records, I'd have the timing belt and the mechanism visually checked at least, just to make sure.

Thanks Don and Davy. I'll get to it pronto