• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Mitsubishi Galant

Sierra Charlie

Once I came across a Genuine used spoiler for Galant of your variant when I was searching a spoiler for my car, I'll check if it is still there if I go pass by that place again.

Same here. I was walking from shop to shop at Delkanda and this guy throws a Galant spoiler at me saying that it's for the Lancer. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the shop now. But it was a shop on the right hand side of the road (when travelling from Nugegoda towards Maharagama) and between Delkanda Junc and Wijerama junc.

This is the one I was shown:

1675-Mitsubishi%20Galant.jpg

Same here. I was walking from shop to shop at Delkanda and this guy throws a Galant spoiler at me saying that it's for the Lancer. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the shop now. But it was a shop on the right hand side of the road (when travelling from Nugegoda towards Maharagama) and between Delkanda Junc and Wijerama junc.

This is the one I was shown:

1675-Mitsubishi%20Galant.jpg

Yes thats the one. Luckily i remember where i saw mine since its located near my home town.

Thanks guys. Quite busy these days that I can't take a break from work. Going to check out in Delkanda probably late this week or early next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that they still have it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got the car scanned and tuned by Mr. Dhammika Fernando today. Quite the chap, that guy. Knows his shizz and managed to get my car scanned. The Mitsu cars from the era don't conform to the OBD II standards and it's been a thorn in my side not being able to scan it and see whether there are any issues. Happy to say that there were no error codes. Touch wood. I wanted to replace the spark plugs and clean the injectors. Mr. Fernando asked me not to, and cleaned them. The guy saved me probably about 11k.

There were some issues with several sensors. He corrected them. The idle RPM was high, he corrected that also. On the flip side though, I have to replace the Idle Control Valve. I'll be combing through Delkanda in a few days. But any suggestions to where to have a look is welcome.

OK, I got the car scanned and tuned by Mr. Dhammika Fernando today. Quite the chap, that guy. Knows his shizz and managed to get my car scanned. The Mitsu cars from the era don't conform to the OBD II standards and it's been a thorn in my side not being able to scan it and see whether there are any issues. Happy to say that there were no error codes. Touch wood. I wanted to replace the spark plugs and clean the injectors. Mr. Fernando asked me not to, and cleaned them. The guy saved me probably about 11k.

There were some issues with several sensors. He corrected them. The idle RPM was high, he corrected that also. On the flip side though, I have to replace the Idle Control Valve. I'll be combing through Delkanda in a few days. But any suggestions to where to have a look is welcome.

Mr Fernando has been tuning our DX since the early '90s. He has all the gadgets for a proper tune up too!

Yup, if there is no urgency, eBay would be the best bet. Just get hold of the correct part number and order. You might want to contact Mahinda and ask him too.

Nice to see Mr. Dhammika Fernando mentioned again. He tunes my car (carina AT-170) and advises on what I should do.

Knows his stuff... :)

Sierra Charlie,

if you need the IACV, that's a bit of pain. I'm also on the lookout for one. The mitsu product code is MD614921 and the thing costs like Rs 90,000 at Unit#d Mot#rs. Replacements were available on ebay for about USD 50 some time ago, but I'm having trouble finding anything that cheap now. There are a few available in US (as it's the same engine on the evo) for about USD 100.

On the same note, I had trouble with mine after I got a tuneup done. The service manual (which i didnt know about at the time) says not to spray any carb cleaner into the IACV. I guess that has happened and the idle was a bit all over the place. I took it apart and checked the resistance of the coils (there are 3 if i remember correctly) and one was way off. After a thorough cleanup, it was reading within normal limits. I've been running with it like that for a couple of years now, and thankfully it's holding out.

Let me know if you do manage to get your hands on a IACV.

What sort of trouble are u having with yours? perhaps i can help you out..

Try eBay. Replaced my iacv. Tech motors: 27,000 AND out of stock. Need to order. eBay $30. 1 week. Minimal tax

I saw this post only after I had in reply to sierra charlie's earlier comment about needing an IACV.

Komi, did u get an IACV for a Galant (4g63 engine) in SL? If so, pls do tell me where tech motors is, and is it the same as this (sorry about the long url) : http://www.camskill.co.uk/m8b0s2314p6649/MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Idle_Speed_Controller_-_Stepper_Motor_-_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution_5_6_CP9A

I saw this post only after I had in reply to sierra charlie's earlier comment about needing an IACV.

Komi, did u get an IACV for a Galant (4g63 engine) in SL? If so, pls do tell me where tech motors is, and is it the same as this (sorry about the long url) : http://www.camskill.co.uk/m8b0s2314p6649/MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Idle_Speed_Controller_-_Stepper_Motor_-_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution_5_6_CP9A

Komi has an Integra so probably speaking about that.

I have a Mitsubishi and have a few spare throttle bodies with IACVs but they are for 4G9 type of engines not the 4G63. You should be able to get one on ebay. If you find one in ebay UK and the seller is not willing to post to SL, I can help by forwarding it onto you.

Sierra Charlie,

if you need the IACV, that's a bit of pain. I'm also on the lookout for one. The mitsu product code is MD614921 and the thing costs like Rs 90,000 at Unit#d Mot#rs. Replacements were available on ebay for about USD 50 some time ago, but I'm having trouble finding anything that cheap now. There are a few available in US (as it's the same engine on the evo) for about USD 100.

On the same note, I had trouble with mine after I got a tuneup done. The service manual (which i didnt know about at the time) says not to spray any carb cleaner into the IACV. I guess that has happened and the idle was a bit all over the place. I took it apart and checked the resistance of the coils (there are 3 if i remember correctly) and one was way off. After a thorough cleanup, it was reading within normal limits. I've been running with it like that for a couple of years now, and thankfully it's holding out.

Let me know if you do manage to get your hands on a IACV.

What sort of trouble are u having with yours? perhaps i can help you out..

Machan, Komi has two well documented machines, an Integra and a Datsun 510. He and several others have been helping me out in getting my Galant to it's glory.

As for the IACV, I didn't spray any carb cleaner since I couldn't figure out how to take it apart in the first place. Probably a good thing too. I would have tried to clean it like the way I cleaned the throttle body. Throttle body, no problem. IACV, if I cleaned with the carb cleaner would have been a big problem.

I found some IACVs on eBay. One thing, as you also have mentioned, to keep in mind is that the 4G63 engine is shared with the much popular Evo. Here's a listing I found on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20032006-MITSUBISHI-EVO-4G63-20L-IAC-ISC-IACV-IDLE-AIR-SPEED-CONTROL-VALVE-/121393123328 here's another. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-06-MITSUBISHI-EVO-VIII-EVOLUTION-IDLE-SPEED-CONTROL-ISC-IAC-2-0T-TURBO/231297153486?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24189%26meid%3D8956931662546576837%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10283%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121393123328&rt=nc

I'm not sure whether this part is the correct one. But I'm not in a big hurry to buy the part. Contrary to yours, my engine woes are stifled for the moment. But having said that, I was advised to look for an IACV as well as a TPS since those should be replaced at some point.

The following is pure speculation. I've spent enough sleepless nights to go a bit loony on this. Apparently, the 4G63 SOHC, DOHC and the 4G63T (T for Turbo) share the same engine block. Actually, you can swap a DOHC on a SOHC with minor modifications. So I'm thinking that most other parts like the sensors are shared across the platform as well.

One problem is most of the literature you find on the Galant is about the USDM version. Those didn't come as a 2.0 liter I4. They have 2.5 and 3.0 variants and pretty much all the workshop manuals I found online are on those variants. There are differences. I found out the hard way. I have a power mirror control switch collecting dust since the dash cavity don't match.

As for the issues I was having, had rough idling. Was idling at around 850~950rpm and sometimes I had very bad RPM fluctuations. Stop and go traffic was (and to a certain point, still) horrific. I had the engine die on me more than a couple of times on almost every drive. I couldn't get the coils checked since I'm not too handy with a ohm meter? (Is that what you call them?)

Fuel economy is so so in traffic. It has improved somewhat after the tuneup. But I'm not bothered about it. I just happen to have a 11 year old machine that can hit 120 on the third gear. That puts a smile on my face every time I get the opportunity to do that. If you're due a tuneup, I highly recommend Mr. Dhammika Fernando. Driving in and out of his garage were two completely different experiences.

Edited by Sierra Charlie

Machan, Komi has two well documented machines, an Integra and a Datsun 510. He and several others have been helping me out in getting my Galant to it's glory.

As for the IACV, I didn't spray any carb cleaner since I couldn't figure out how to take it apart in the first place. Probably a good thing too. I would have tried to clean it like the way I cleaned the throttle body. Throttle body, no problem. IACV, if I cleaned with the carb cleaner would have been a big problem.

I found some IACVs on eBay. One thing, as you also have mentioned, to keep in mind is that the 4G63 engine is shared with the much popular Evo. Here's a listing I found on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20032006-MITSUBISHI-EVO-4G63-20L-IAC-ISC-IACV-IDLE-AIR-SPEED-CONTROL-VALVE-/121393123328 here's another. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-06-MITSUBISHI-EVO-VIII-EVOLUTION-IDLE-SPEED-CONTROL-ISC-IAC-2-0T-TURBO/231297153486?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24189%26meid%3D8956931662546576837%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10283%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121393123328&rt=nc

I'm not sure whether this part is the correct one. But I'm not in a big hurry to buy the part. Contrary to yours, my engine woes are stifled for the moment. But having said that, I was advised to look for an IACV as well as a TPS since those should be replaced at some point.

The following is pure speculation. I've spent enough sleepless nights to go a bit loony on this. Apparently, the 4G63 SOHC, DOHC and the 4G63T (T for Turbo) share the same engine block. Actually, you can swap a DOHC on a SOHC with minor modifications. So I'm thinking that most other parts like the sensors are shared across the platform as well.

One problem is most of the literature you find on the Galant is about the USDM version. Those didn't come as a 2.0 liter I4. They have 2.5 and 3.0 variants and pretty much all the workshop manuals I found online are on those variants. There are differences. I found out the hard way. I have a power mirror control switch collecting dust since the dash cavity don't match.

As for the issues I was having, had rough idling. Was idling at around 850~950rpm and sometimes I had very bad RPM fluctuations. Stop and go traffic was (and to a certain point, still) horrific. I had the engine die on me more than a couple of times on almost every drive. I couldn't get the coils checked since I'm not too handy with a ohm meter? (Is that what you call them?)

Fuel economy is so so in traffic. It has improved somewhat after the tuneup. But I'm not bothered about it. I just happen to have a 11 year old machine that can hit 120 on the third gear. That puts a smile on my face every time I get the opportunity to do that. If you're due a tuneup, I highly recommend Mr. Dhammika Fernando. Driving in and out of his garage were two completely different experiences.

Thanks Sierra Charlie..

Those 2 links u posted show an IACV that can be pulled out independently. It's basically a stepper motor. That's not the case on our engines; the stepper motor isn't available separately, u gotta replace that whole metal assembly (it's on this link, go to page 2, and it's 07707).. i already went down that path and bought that exact same thing shown on your ebay link :-) and it doesnt fit :-) it's still sitting on a shelf..

I've got the workshop manual to our JDM version if you want btw.. and the Hayne's manual..

Thanks for your suggestions on the tuneup machan.. and if u do the DOHC swap pls do let me marvel at your engine bay sometime.. :-) good luck!!

Edited by jedikasun

Komi has an Integra so probably speaking about that.

I have a Mitsubishi and have a few spare throttle bodies with IACVs but they are for 4G9 type of engines not the 4G63. You should be able to get one on ebay. If you find one in ebay UK and the seller is not willing to post to SL, I can help by forwarding it onto you.

Thank u for the offer, Don.. !!

Thanks Sierra Charlie..

Those 2 links u posted show an IACV that can be pulled out independently. It's basically a stepper motor. That's not the case on our engines; the stepper motor isn't available separately, u gotta replace that whole metal assembly (it's on this link, go to page 2, and it's 07707).. i already went down that path and bought that exact same thing shown on your ebay link :-) and it doesnt fit :-) it's still sitting on a shelf..

I've got the workshop manual to our JDM version if you want btw.. and the Hayne's manual..

Thanks for your suggestions on the tuneup machan.. and if u do the DOHC swap pls do let me marvel at your engine bay sometime.. :-) good luck!!

Bummer, didn't know about that. i thought we can take that motor apart separately. Anyway, this is the part you're looking for I believe. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IDLE-AIR-CONTROL-VALVE-MOTOR-IAC-19942001-MITSUBISHI-LANCER-EVOLUTION-20L-/171229782629

Machan I do need the workshop manual for the JDM version. Will send you a DM with my email.

As for the DOHC swap, was thinking about it at a certain point. Replacing a DOHC 4G63 seems to be cheaper and straight forward if I want to do that. Anyhow, the SOHC apparently has better low end torque. I think that's far more suitable for local driving conditions.

Bummer, didn't know about that. i thought we can take that motor apart separately. Anyway, this is the part you're looking for I believe. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IDLE-AIR-CONTROL-VALVE-MOTOR-IAC-19942001-MITSUBISHI-LANCER-EVOLUTION-20L-/171229782629

Machan I do need the workshop manual for the JDM version. Will send you a DM with my email.

As for the DOHC swap, was thinking about it at a certain point. Replacing a DOHC 4G63 seems to be cheaper and straight forward if I want to do that. Anyhow, the SOHC apparently has better low end torque. I think that's far more suitable for local driving conditions.

Sierra Charlie,

sorry for the delay.. can't email u the workshop manual coz gmail is limiting at 20 mb or something.. so uploaded to dropbox.. get it from here.

The Haynes manual is a hardcopy.. tel me which sections u want and I'll scan it and send..

Sierra Charlie,

sorry for the delay.. can't email u the workshop manual coz gmail is limiting at 20 mb or something.. so uploaded to dropbox.. get it from here.

The Haynes manual is a hardcopy.. tel me which sections u want and I'll scan it and send..

Thanks mate. Getting the workshop manual now. :) By the way, the link I shared, is it the ICAV you were looking for? The part numbers matched when I looked it over.

Edited by Sierra Charlie

OK guys, got my hands on the new camber kit today. The fronts are from Eibach and the rears are from Ingalls. Both look quite solid and I'm sharing some pics of both. Had quite a scare when I went to get them from the central mail exchange. Apparently the total tax for the few things should have been 10,000 odd. No idea whether that's true or not. They based their calculation on the invoice value. Anyway, the custom guys understood that these things aren't for any commercial purpose and let it go.

These things are heavy. I didn't realise it until I actually saw the box and carried it with me.

Chalking up one. Many to go. :)

2014-08-18163551_zpsec04f190.jpg

2014-08-18163709_zpsc7b8c012.jpg

b0374bc0-4388-4fda-8b9f-7b3fac41e399_zps

2014-08-18164019_zps71bab13b.jpg

2014-08-18164125_zpsd1adf3a8.jpg

Thanks Sierra Charlie..

jedikasun, I don't think that's the case mate. I believe you can replace just the stepper motor without replacing the entire IACV housing. If you're buying it from UniMo, you've got to buy the entire unit because the stepper motor alone is not available. (that's why it costs so much).

The reason as to why the stepper motor you bought is not a match is probably because there were a few variants of the IACV unit (that fits the same throttle body). I myself was looking for a stepper motor once 'cause the one on my Lancer CS3 was busted (full story here) and I went all over Delkanda and everywhere I knew and found one finally. I even ended up stopping in front of places and trying out different stepper motors to find out that none of them worked. Some even mounted properly but didn't work cause the plunger on the motor was either shorter or longer.

So do a bit of searching, I'm sure you will be able to find one because most of these parts are interchangeable with other Mitsubishi vehicles. Good luck!

By the way, thanks for sharing the Workshop manual, I hope you don't mind me posting the same dropbox link on our common Workshop Manual threads so that it's easily located.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update on the G. I had to replace the wheel bearing of the rear left wheel and wanted to post the way I did it in the thread in case any other Galant owner has to go through the same process. Please ignore this if you know this already. As a first time owner, the process I went through was a revelation.

The part in question looks like this. My car has 4 wheel studs instead of 5 studs. Think that's the case with a majority of brand new Galant imports to Sri Lanka.

$T2eC16VHJGIFFopzeT3QBSOhSrWN8!~~_21.JPG

Now the problem is it's really hard to find the complete assembly. I spent over two complete days trying to find it and my search extended from Delkanda, to Nawinna, Piliyandala, Kohuwala, Moratuwa and Panchi. I was on this wild goose chase because of the rotary wheel looking part. That wheel actuates the ABS sensor and by the looks of it, this wheel doesn't seem replaceable nor removable. I had to call up Unimo to get a quote and it was a wee bit north of 30k for one side. eBay has it from around 30$ onwards but finding the right four stud version was again problematic. Here's the eBay search link

At this point I was quite desperate and had to consider other options. An old mechanic introduced to me by one of my friends suggested that I take it to a lathe and get the rotary wheel thingy removed and get the bearing replaced. Since that seemed to be the only option, I tried and bought the correct bearing from C@ntr*l B@*rings in Panchi. There's a lathe guy right across C@ntr*l B@*rings. The guy managed to remove the rotary wheel, removed and replaced the bearing, all in about 10 minutes. The total cost was about 3200.

Had to spend around 4k on tuk tuk charges alone but I pretty much went to each and every single shop on the Delkanda stretch. Learnt a bucket load of stuff about the whole car parts business. Found the original spoiler also. :)

If anyone is looking, there's a shop with heaps of original sun visors just beyond the Delkanda junction on the right side when you come from Nugegoda. You'll have to take the car to buy the sun visors. They're clueless about what sun visor goes for what car. I found some seemingly original spoilers for the CK2, Honda Civic EK3, EG8. These were at a nearby shop to the one where I found the sun visors. Spoilers were around 5k each.

Edited by Sierra Charlie
  • Like 2

Small update on the G. I had to replace the wheel bearing of the rear left wheel and wanted to post the way I did it in the thread in case any other Galant owner has to go through the same process. Please ignore this if you know this already. As a first time owner, the process I went through was a revelation.

The part in question looks like this. My car has 4 wheel studs instead of 5 studs. Think that's the case with a majority of brand new Galant imports to Sri Lanka.

$T2eC16VHJGIFFopzeT3QBSOhSrWN8!~~_21.JPG

Now the problem is it's really hard to find the complete assembly. I spent over two complete days trying to find it and my search extended from Delkanda, to Nawinna, Piliyandala, Kohuwala, Moratuwa and Panchi. I was on this wild goose chase because of the rotary wheel looking part. That wheel actuates the ABS sensor and by the looks of it, this wheel doesn't seem replaceable nor removable. I had to call up Unimo to get a quote and it was a wee bit north of 30k for one side. eBay has it from around 30$ onwards but finding the right four stud version was again problematic. Here's the eBay search link

At this point I was quite desperate and had to consider other options. An old mechanic introduced to me by one of my friends suggested that I take it to a lathe and get the rotary wheel thingy removed and get the bearing replaced. Since that seemed to be the only option, I tried and bought the correct bearing from C@ntr*l B@*rings in Panchi. There's a lathe guy right across C@ntr*l B@*rings. The guy managed to remove the rotary wheel, removed and replaced the bearing, all in about 10 minutes. The total cost was about 3200.

Had to spend around 4k on tuk tuk charges alone but I pretty much went to each and every single shop on the Delkanda stretch. Learnt a bucket load of stuff about the whole car parts business. Found the original spoiler also. :)

If anyone is looking, there's a shop with heaps of original sun visors just beyond the Delkanda junction on the right side when you come from Nugegoda. You'll have to take the car to buy the sun visors. They're clueless about what sun visor goes for what car. I found some seemingly original spoilers for the CK2, Honda Civic EK3, EG8. These were at a nearby shop to the one where I found the sun visors. Spoilers were around 5k each.

Thanks for sharing the info man,

Also glad that you were able to find the spoiler as well.

About the bearing. I have an extra one similar to what you wanted for your car. I bought a one mistakenly thinking that it is the rear bearing which had gone kaput mainly cuz front ones were replaced about 25k kms ago. But to my suprise it was the front ones again which was giving the issue. considering the mileage of the car at that time (110k kms) i kept the rear bearing with me without returning it back. now @ 133k kms the rear ones are still ok. (should not jinx this though)

It was not that difficult for me to find those bearings. But when buying the front ones for the second time, the seller told me that the expected life span of those would not exceed 30k kms. i had no other option but buying them at that time due to financial reasons.

While original bearing will give you 90k to 140k kms life span, the others lastst around 40k kms at the most.