• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Mitsubishi Galant

Sierra Charlie

Pressure inside the system is finally determined by the cap specs and the temperature. If the temperature indication is stable in the mid area you can assume the pressure to be normal. To me it looks like something to do with hose and/or the inlet. When you cut a piece from the hose to reinsert, it becomes that much less flexible and may not withstand the mechanical stress due to engine vibration. If the inlet is intact (no rough edges) then you may have to replace the hose instead of re-inserting.

Thanks Rumesh. I also noticed that my radiator cap is rated for 108kPa. Looks wrong. What do you reckon?

I agree with Rumesh. Although the 2cm part that was cut off was the visible part of the crack to the eye, it would have cracked further internally, weakening the structural integrity of the hose. So I'd say replace the hose altogether.

Also, have you replaced the radiator cap? From the photo, it looks like that's the original cap. When the engine is cold, remove the cap and check if the spring mechanism is working properly.

• Like 1

Isn't the OEM cap is ND? If so the marking should be 1.1 (bars) which is almost equal to 108kPa. Pressure rating is OK but if the actual operating pressure is higher than the marked value then you have a problem.

Isn't the OEM cap is ND? If so the marking should be 1.1 (bars) which is almost equal to 108kPa. Pressure rating is OK but if the actual operating pressure is higher than the marked value then you have a problem.

I don't have the owner's handbook. :sad-smiley-066: So no idea whether the cap is the correct rating or not.

Radiator caps on 4G63 SOHC versions found in the US are rated for 90kPa or 0.9bar. So I'm thinking it's the same case with my engine as well. I'll be replacing the radiator cap and the hose probably tomorrow and will update the thread.

• 2 months later...

OK guys, have an update on the G. :sport-smiley-004: managed to find a set of coilovers and lowered the lady. What can I say? I'm floored, literally and figuratively. Many of you who followed this thread know that I've been carrying a thorn in my side with the huge wheel gap. The pictures will tell. Ever since I had the car, wanted to bring things back and managed to find a set of Tein colivers. So bought them puppies and went to town somewhere in November. Wanted to share some pics.

Screenshot%202016-01-14%2010.59.29_zpszm

Screenshot%202016-01-14%2010.54.38_zpsb3

Screenshot%202016-01-14%2010.54.54_zpsu7

Screenshot%202016-01-14%2010.55.31_zpsfl

I've always hated the E01. Now hate it even more. Winding roads with banked turns are heaven. So whenever I drive down to Ambalangoda or to Kandy, I take the Galle road and the Hatton road at the break of the dawn.
Can carry a lot of speed into the bends and the handling is very refined. I can now gauge a line, point the car at it and execute it to perfection. Earlier, body roll made it relatively difficult to point and execute. Also, independent suspension is only beginning to come to its own only now I reckon. If anyone is wondering whether this has any effect on fuel consumption, I'm happy to report that RPM to fuel to smiles ratio is directly proportional. More the RPM, more the fuel, more the smiles.
Despite not being outrageously lowered, the new stance does lead to lowered car woes. I've come to remember pretty much every speed bump wherever I go and try to avoid them like the plague on the second time. The car is lowered about 2.5 inches in the front and about 1.5 inches in the back. Planning to adjust the stance once I find a decent set of alloys.
  • Like 5

I was gonna say its high time for a set of alloys :) looks pretty good. did u do a polish as well coz looks shiny now. Stance is everything like i was told. wait till u get some good wheels the look will be superb

https://autopolis.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/autowp_ru-mitsubishi-galant-vr-4.jpg%3Fw%3D600%26h%3D304

post-4738-0-33947600-1452761168_thumb.jp

Edited by Muditha420

I was gonna say its high time for a set of alloys :) looks pretty good. did u do a polish as well coz looks shiny now. Stance is everything like i was told. wait till u get some good wheels the look will be superb

https://autopolis.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/autowp_ru-mitsubishi-galant-vr-4.jpg%3Fw%3D600%26h%3D304

Well funnily enough, I bought two sets of wheels which I had to return due to different reasons.

First bought a set like this. One of the wheels had a crack in it. So had to return it.

20160114015548_zpsh1zlw8n0.jpg

The second set was this. Picture taken while the alloys were in the trunk. Had two issues with them. The PCD on these was 108 and 110. My PCD is 114.5. The other reason is these were a little too wide. 7.5 inches if I'm not mistaken. Would have had to use a spacer with them. So returned them again, quite reluctantly so too. :sad-smiley-068: Now looking for another set.

20160114015439_zpsygqe9ojk.jpg

As for polishing, I usually polish the car myself once in two months or so. What you see here is the car after claying and waxing.

Edited by Sierra Charlie

Finally! I know how much you wanted to get this done, and I think she's sitting really well now. I'm I right to assume the coilovers are full length adjustable ones? :)

Oh and +1 for OZ F1 rims! Too bad the PCD was off, that would have been perfect!

• Like 1

Would have been lovely if you could have fitted a set from a late Evo, with many being available locally, sadly being 4 lug you may still be lucky to find an Early Evo set (same pcd 114) that came 4 lug, with the Mitsu branding and all :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. Small update. :) Managed to find an original strut bar for the G. Looks something like this. This is not my Galant. This is a picture from a Sri Lankan Galant owner that was shared on a WhatsApp group aptly named Galant Owners' Club. We have 7 people in it so far.

As for the strut bar, cost me 6k. Some may say that's a little on the high side. But since this is the exact OE strut bar, I can't care less.

AqSQB9JpSOcSKhcLiGX75rAcGbl8s5h5YA6gls31

So yesterday, went to Ratnapura for a wedding. (I know, talk about losing independence on the Independence day! Ironic is not the word.)

First time I was travelling on the Ratnapura-Panadura road and my God, that road was a revelation. I thought the road would be wide open till Ratnapura but I wasn't expecting to face a delightful set of bends from beyond Ingiriya or so. The drive was mind bogglingly good. Everything, I mean everything came together for the Galant. Independent suspension, the coilovers, the newly installed strut bar, everything came together for a surreal driving experience. No body roll at all while blasting through the bends and the tyres despite being my Achilles heel, were solidly planted through each and every one of those bends.

It took me a while to get to Ratnapura since I was taking in the breathtaking views and the exceptionally enjoyable road. But made back from Ratnapura to Malabe in little less than 2 hours. Happy times!

• Like 1

Alright. Small update. :) Managed to find an original strut bar for the G. Looks something like this. This is not my Galant. This is a picture from a Sri Lankan Galant owner that was shared on a WhatsApp group aptly named Galant Owners' Club. We have 7 people in it so far.

As for the strut bar, cost me 6k. Some may say that's a little on the high side. But since this is the exact OE strut bar, I can't care less.

AqSQB9JpSOcSKhcLiGX75rAcGbl8s5h5YA6gls31

So yesterday, went to Ratnapura for a wedding. (I know, talk about losing independence on the Independence day! Ironic is not the word.)

First time I was travelling on the Ratnapura-Panadura road and my God, that road was a revelation. I thought the road would be wide open till Ratnapura but I wasn't expecting to face a delightful set of bends from beyond Ingiriya or so. The drive was mind bogglingly good. Everything, I mean everything came together for the Galant. Independent suspension, the coilovers, the newly installed strut bar, everything came together for a surreal driving experience. No body roll at all while blasting through the bends and the tyres despite being my Achilles heel, were solidly planted through each and every one of those bends.

It took me a while to get to Ratnapura since I was taking in the breathtaking views and the exceptionally enjoyable road. But made back from Ratnapura to Malabe in little less than 2 hours. Happy times!

Ado I thought this is your car, put a photo of your one will ya.

Anyway great to hear that you installed the strut bar. And that Panadura to Rathnapura road is an absolut marvel. I took that road to Badulla about month back. Reached there in about 4 hours (3.45am to 8am). Can only imagine how it must have felt driving your car on that road.

Haha Glad u enjoyed it... its 32km of winding road from Ingiriya and another 34km from Ingiriya to Panadura... Only went once on the B4 loved every corner other then that every month i go up there in the hilux :D

Think you should take that road more often in your B4, with the all-wheel drive and the twin turbo. Such a crime not to!

congrats on your acquisition,

Replace spark plugs with iridium's and a replace air filter with a free flow air filter ( keep the stock fresh air intake , just get a free flow panel filter)and lastly, add a fuel system cleaner to your tank the next time you fill up., you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results

As for your Freezing cold A/c, Enjoy it! as most complaints are the opposite of yours with low cooling, if it's too cold,reduce the blower speed or switch it off, You'll get more fuel efficiency too :-) The heater-bypass is an A/c mech's attempt to increase cooling efficiency or done to "fix" a coolant leak from the heater matrix.

And to improve handling, replace the stabilizer bushes both f/r.

Enjoy your drive!

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

As for your Freezing cold A/c, Enjoy it! as most complaints are the opposite of yours with low cooling, if it's too cold,reduce the blower speed or switch it off, You'll get more fuel efficiency too :-) The heater-bypass is an A/c mech's attempt to increase cooling efficiency or done to "fix" a coolant leak from the heater matrix.

And to improve handling, replace the stabilizer bushes both f/r.

Enjoy your drive!

Thanks for the tips. I did have a look at the other video as well. The problem with the A/C setup is I hate not to have things work in my car. I want everything in my car to work properly. I want every dial, every switch, every stalk to do what they are intended to do. I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to things like that. :)

As for handling, I already got some Tein Coilovers and an OE strut bar. If the stabilizer bushes are going to help my cause, why the hell not! :D

• 2 months later...

OK Guys, Changed the rims and the tyres. So I reckon you guys would want to see a before and after. Here goes. :)

Here's how it looked before. What can I say, ugly AF!

DSCN0214_zpsv2su9wtp.jpg

Here's now! Got to find the center caps. The rims are Super Advan SA3R version 2.

IMG-20160420-WA0001_zpstbmizegk.jpg

IMG-20160420-WA0000_zpsuwzcbzf8.jpg

IMG-20160420-WA0002_zpsqyda3udt.jpg

IMG-20160420-WA0003_zpshn4gknp4.jpg

Edited by Sierra Charlie
  • Like 3

OK Guys, Changed the rims and the tyres. So I reckon you guys would want to see a before and after. Here goes. :)

Â

Here's how it looked before. What can I say, ugly AF!

Â

DSCN0214_zpsv2su9wtp.jpg

Â

Here's now! Got to find the center caps. The rims are Super Advan SA3R version 2.Â

Â

IMG-20160420-WA0001_zpstbmizegk.jpg

Â

IMG-20160420-WA0000_zpsuwzcbzf8.jpg

Â

IMG-20160420-WA0002_zpsqyda3udt.jpg

Â

IMG-20160420-WA0003_zpshn4gknp4.jpg

Looks great man.

Is that rear mud flap damaged or is it just mud.