• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Converted B4 From Auto To Manual

mad123456

Dear All,

I am a newbie to the Subaru world , but i have driven and am driving different other vehicles and models.

my question is , i am planning to buy a 2000 B4 Auto which has been converted to Manual , as per my little knowledge the car is in good condition , mileage is 160K , non turbo 2000cc , asking LKR 16.50 Million

but i have a few concern

01. is it good to go for a converted Subi ?

02. can i take this to Senok or B.R.J.W. Enterprises for a check up , as Senok told they can do it FOC and BRJW has asked for 5K, money is not the problem but which place is good ? open question as i don't want to go around the bush.

03. Personal opinion of the people who are using the said car.

Your valuable answers are welcome.

Signing off

Boodi

Edited by mad123456

The conversion here is fairly mild. As long as it was a full conversion where the gearbox, mounts, gear linkage, shifter, ECU and the instrument cluster was changed, then it should be ok. Make sure the change was noted in the registration document, else you might have issues in the future.

Its not illegal to convert from auto to manual, you just have to record it. The process, you should inquire from the RMV.

The driving experience, well I assume you are buying a B4 because you know what it is. The twin turbo has noticeable turbo lag, the ride is a bit harsh (sporty) and performance is delivered at the price of fuel economy (which is true of all performance cars).

And if you need an opinion on the car itself take it to Senok.

The conversion here is fairly mild. As long as it was a full conversion where the gearbox, mounts, gear linkage, shifter, ECU and the instrument cluster was changed, then it should be ok. Make sure the change was noted in the registration document, else you might have issues in the future.

Its not illegal to convert from auto to manual, you just have to record it. The process, you should inquire from the RMV.

The driving experience, well I assume you are buying a B4 because you know what it is. The twin turbo has noticeable turbo lag, the ride is a bit harsh (sporty) and performance is delivered at the price of fuel economy (which is true of all performance cars).

Thanks bro :)

Senok will give you a fair run down

Don, he did say non turbo so the "B4" moniker is merely being used to describe the generation of Legacy (BE)

I'd contest the lag and ride claims - in your defense though everything is relative so i don't know what you're bench marking against. As a late 90's designed sports sedan though i don't think either is a fair accusation, IMO.

Dear All,

I have another concern, which is except all the reputed places Senok , No 33 Dutugamunu street etc. Where i can find spares for the legacy ?.

Say like Panchikawatta or Delkada like wise ?

any known place/ person and reliable ?

Boodi

Dear All,

I have another concern, which is except all the reputed places Senok , No 33 Dutugamunu street etc. Where i can find spares for the legacy ?.

Say like Panchikawatta or Delkada like wise ?

any known place/ person and reliable ?

Boodi

Borella Motors - Nimal : 0777311791

• Like 1

Senok will give you a fair run down

Don, he did say non turbo so the "B4" moniker is merely being used to describe the generation of Legacy (BE)

I'd contest the lag and ride claims - in your defense though everything is relative so i don't know what you're bench marking against. As a late 90's designed sports sedan though i don't think either is a fair accusation, IMO.

All turbo cars have some turbo lag, though newer electronics and bi turbo installations seem to have made things a lot bettter.

I aggree by revving the car and changing gears appropriately you can minimise the effects of the turbo lag. But in some cars its more noticeable than others, such as the B4, The EVO FQ 360 etc etc, the cars which ended up with slightly bigger turbos.

Even my poor Diesel has this issue, as I feel when the turbo starts to hit and the power before it isn't that great (releatively speaking). It was a lot better when the car had swirl flaps, but I had them removed as they have a habit of failing and killing the engine, but the trade off was less torque on the lower reve ranges, and as a result more noticeable turbo lag.

All turbo cars have some turbo lag, though newer electronics and bi turbo installations seem to have made things a lot bettter.

I aggree by revving the car and changing gears appropriately you can minimise the effects of the turbo lag. But in some cars its more noticeable than others, such as the B4, The EVO FQ 360 etc etc, the cars which ended up with slightly bigger turbos.

Even my poor Diesel has this issue, as I feel when the turbo starts to hit and the power before it isn't that great (releatively speaking). It was a lot better when the car had swirl flaps, but I had them removed as they have a habit of failing and killing the engine, but the trade off was less torque on the lower reve ranges, and as a result more noticeable turbo lag.

The whole point of the twin turbo set up was to address the issue of lag and IMO the failing was in how the secondary turbo came on and the very visible 2nd & 3rd generation Legacy flaw of the ever present "valley of death".....

Ideal if someone who possibly uses a B4 on a stock TT set up could weigh in

E46 320D? or is this swirl flap issue a common newer generation diesel problem

The whole point of the twin turbo set up was to address the issue of lag and IMO the failing was in how the secondary turbo came on and the very visible 2nd & 3rd generation Legacy flaw of the ever present "valley of death".....

Ideal if someone who possibly uses a B4 on a stock TT set up could weigh in

E46 320D? or is this swirl flap issue a common newer generation diesel problem

The swirl flap issue is present in all BMW common rail Diesels. It does provide better low end torque, but has a habit of breaking off and falling into the combustion chamber resulting in catastrophic damage. BMW has actually done away with them in their latest engines as even a newer design with much thicker body failed to eliminate the problem.

Mine is an E92 330D