• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

raththaran

Question

Hy everybody,

I am interest in buying a secondhand Kia Sportage (2012 Diesel). Could you guys give me pros and cons of this vehicle. I will be using this vehicle for,

Daily suburban commute.
Family trips. (will do more than 300km in a single trip.)

Occasional 4x4 in wildlife parks.

Reaching remote destinations on unpaved trails.

And how much is the going price for a one that has done below 15000km and maintained well under company warranty.

10 answers to this question

If you're remotely worried about the "kia stigma" from 3rd parties/car salesmen;

1. you haven't done your homework (maybe you're here to get someone else to do it)

2. KIA is not for you

If that (stigma) was a rhetorical question, then the sportage would fulfill most your requirements except for 4x4 on wildlife parks. It will take you out on a dirt track, but it will not off-road for you. It's a good vehicle with arguably better comfort/suspension that the bigger (and more capable) Sorento.

• Like 1

Thanks, that search result brought up some informative threads. Too bad I used Autolanka search instead of this the first time.

If you're remotely worried about the "kia stigma" from 3rd parties/car salesmen;

1. you haven't done your homework (maybe you're here to get someone else to do it)

2. KIA is not for you

If that (stigma) was a rhetorical question, then the sportage would fulfill most your requirements except for 4x4 on wildlife parks. It will take you out on a dirt track, but it will not off-road for you. It's a good vehicle with arguably better comfort/suspension that the bigger (and more capable) Sorento.

I've heard KIA has gotten better but I just wanted honest opinion facts from somebody who is neither trying to sell me a KIA nor sway me away from one.

Edited by raththaran

Thanks, that search result brought up some informative threads. Too bad I used Autolanka search instead of this the first time.

I've heard KIA has gotten better but I just wanted honest opinion facts from somebody who is neither trying to sell me a KIA nor sway me away from one.

KIA is now owned by Hyundai, and they have applied the same quality processes there and there is a lot of platform sharing. So quite a few parts are inter changeable.

Can anybody comment on the reliability of this vehicle. I am raising this question because of the stigma "KIA" brand caries("Apo Korean ne, ayi oya ganata japan ekakata noyanne?) among local car salesmen.

Mind if i ask (since i'm not aware of the current market) what are the Japs you can get for the same price? Does CRV \ RAV4\ CX5 can be found for the same price?

If so since you look for little bit of 4x4 even though RAV4s are AWDs but still has Diff Lock right? It might be little helpful for minor 4x4 trips when its needed.. :) But keep in mind this category does not come with good ground clearance so you will scratch you side steps with rocks & bumps.

I guess nowadays KIA & Hyundai come with decent quality and sometimes have more fancy features right? But keep in mind if you plan to sell it after sometime you might end up with a higher lost than selling a Jap. Am I wrong ppl?

Mind if i ask (since i'm not aware of the current market) what are the Japs you can get for the same price? Does CRV \ RAV4\ CX5 can be found for the same price?

If so since you look for little bit of 4x4 even though RAV4s are AWDs but still has Diff Lock right? It might be little helpful for minor 4x4 trips when its needed.. :) But keep in mind this category does not come with good ground clearance so you will scratch you side steps with rocks & bumps.

I guess nowadays KIA & Hyundai come with decent quality and sometimes have more fancy features right? But keep in mind if you plan to sell it after sometime you might end up with a higher lost than selling a Jap. Am I wrong ppl?

On my previous searches I found severel CUVs (outlander, old montero,rav4 and prado) but bound by my budget and fuel/maintenence cost, only sporatge cought my atention (not looking for a chelsea tractor or in SL terms "sallikara mudalali" SUV). I will not subject it to harsh 4x4 but rough unpaved tracks. Imagine a trail leading thorugh a rubber/tea plantation.

Sporatge is a AWD and has Differential lock. Yes I am aweare of the depreciation rate but it won't go higher than 1 - .5mil in 5 years would it?