• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Leaf - Charging

SankhaD

Hi,

I am looking for some help from members who are currently using Nissan Leafs

Number one is do we need to do some sort of a conversion to power supply before plug in a Nissan Leaf to electricity at home. I am asking this because Nissan Leaf is a Japanese product which are designed for 110-120V and we are using 230-240V in Sri Lanka.

Number two is what is the normal charging time it takes to fully charge the car? I am getting answers ranging from 4 hours to 21 hours for this question.

Please share your experience. Them will be really helpful for me and all others also who are perspective Nissan Leaf buyers. Since Sri Lanka as country is more towards hydro power plants and uneasiness developing in middle east countries, Nissan Leaf can be a good saving in the long run.

Cheers !

You got a range from 4 to 21 hours is because there are high chargers and normal chargers. I heard they are establishing high chargers near supermarkets.

Really do you even need to ask how to connect a 110v product to a 220v connection. There are things called transformers. So do not have to worry about that. Im pretty sure the agent will explain to the buyers regarding that.

Since Sri Lanka as country is more towards hydro power plants and uneasiness developing in middle east countries, Nissan Leaf can be a good saving in the long run.

Cheers !

For me this seems not correct. About Leaf, so many discussed about it in the forum.

I am not a leaf user but keen to know the experience from those who use it. Are you using it just to travel shorter distance or even been on a long run? What is the real no of kms you get per single charge?

Though it seems a stupid question, is it possible to plug a higher capacity battery which may be we buy from the market. ?

Hi,

I am looking for some help from members who are currently using Nissan Leafs

Number one is do we need to do some sort of a conversion to power supply before plug in a Nissan Leaf to electricity at home. I am asking this because Nissan Leaf is a Japanese product which are designed for 110-120V and we are using 230-240V in Sri Lanka.

Number two is what is the normal charging time it takes to fully charge the car? I am getting answers ranging from 4 hours to 21 hours for this question.

Please share your experience. Them will be really helpful for me and all others also who are perspective Nissan Leaf buyers. Since Sri Lanka as country is more towards hydro power plants and uneasiness developing in middle east countries, Nissan Leaf can be a good saving in the long run.

Cheers !

Not a LEAF owner but to begin with Leaf comes with 3.3kW and 6.6kW charging platforms working on 240V. The battery capacity being 24kWh it would take 4 hours for the 6.6kW charger to fill up the battery. However to run a 6.6kW charger your domestic electricity feed should have a capacity of over 30A (ie if you use the connection for this purpose alone). If you think that your electricity tariff is based on hydro-power cost structures, as many of us do, that is a mistake. According to CEB stats published on their website hydro generators can meet only about 50% of the annual demand and that too if the rain fall is evenly spread out within an year. Much of the remaining 50% is generated by burning fossil fuel with a small contribution coming from renewable sources. Although EVs are a step in the right direction, do not expect the charging cost to remain remain stable in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think all Leafs owners should have a small portable petrol generator in the car especially when travelling long distances. You can charge the car at a stop for lunch or tea at any rural location :) . also be aware of the common thief when charging. :medium-smiley-037: .

Edited by Splat
  • Like 1

I think all Leafs owners should have a small portable petrol generator in the car especially when travelling long distances. You can charge the car at a stop for lunch or tea at any rural location :) . also be aware of the common thief when charging. :medium-smiley-037: .

Or just buy a Hybrid :)?

Authorities in Sri Lanka should establish a system for recycling EV and Hybrid batteries. as these batteries consist of toxic stuff :jumping-smiley-001: that can cause harm to our environment :sport-smiley-027: . Work still needs to be done to making EV's and hybrids really environmentally friendly to Sri Lanka. :action-smiley-076:

"Hybrid" Good point The Don :)

Edited by Splat

Nissan introduces LEAF as a city car. So, unless you are living in a very large city which spreads over many hundred kilometers, you should be safe.

IMHO, one should not buy a LEAF if they intend to travel long distances which exceed the car's fuel cell range. It will be like using pliers instead of a wrench to loosen a bolt.

• 2 months later...
can someone explain about how an inductive charging system works,as today someone I met claimed that the new Nissan leaf has on-board inductive charging,but I was not clear on what he meant and didnt want to show my ignorance and clarify it either :speechless-smiley-006:

No plugs, no wires. You park the car over a space with the charger, generally a pad of some sort, and the charging starts.

If you need to know the technical details, youtube has a lot of stuff. Phone chargers work on the same principle. I've used one for over 2 years.

Edit : also, he's correct, the Leaf does have it. There is even a proposal for inductive charging highways so the car will keep charging while going on the road.

Edited by Pericles

can someone explain about how an inductive charging system works,as today someone I met claimed that the new Nissan leaf has on-board inductive charging,but I was not clear on what he meant and didnt want to show my ignorance and clarify it either :speechless-smiley-006:
No plugs, no wires. You park the car over a space with the charger, generally a pad of some sort, and the charging starts.

If you need to know the technical details, youtube has a lot of stuff. Phone chargers work on the same principle. I've used one for over 2 years.

Edit : also, he's correct, the Leaf does have it. There is even a proposal for inductive charging highways so the car will keep charging while going on the road.

Pericles is right. But as cool as it sounds, inductive charging is around 15%-20% less efficient, (you use up around 15%-20% more electricity to get the same charge) so it doesn't make sense for someone looking to save the environment / conserve energy / save money by driving a zero emissions vehicle to charge their car that way.

Edited by Kavvz

So basically wireless charging eh...

Pericles is right. But as cool as it sounds, inductive charging is around 15%-20% less efficient, (you use up around 15%-20% more electricity to get the same charge) so it doesn't make sense for someone looking to save the environment / conserve energy / save money by driving a zero emissions vehicle to charge their car that way.

Depends. The idea was to use it with solar chargers. That was the marketing.