• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tire Size And Ground Clearance

Rider

Question

Car model: JDM Toyota Corolla 121 2005

Tire that were installed when I'm purchasing the car was 175/70R14 . Now the car tires need replacing, and I need some advice getting a new tire set.

IMG_20150427_100436.jpg

As for the tire information (If I read this info correctly, which I'm not sure) this indicates two main tire sizes which are 175/70R14 and 185/70R14.

I always had the problem with ground clearance with this car, I'm hoping get 185/70R14 tire set that some what increase the ground clearance.

I need advice/ clarification before purchasing this tire set. Will this tire fit to my current rim set ?

If it does, Will changing result these scenarios?

• ODO meter reading
  • Tire rubbing

What do you guys think?

Edited by Rider

12 answers to this question

I am not sure about Toyota 121. But these two sizes mean for front & rear tyres separately? Because, these two tyre sizes have s height difference of 0.7cm from the centre axis. Usually, manufacturers give a tyre combination with different wheel + tyre combination which result in equal whole tyre diameter. Not differing diameters.

185x70 = 185mm x 70% = tyre height (balloon size)

Translated your sticker text using Google translator.

Says... Tire pressure[....], Tire size front and rear wheel ................... Emergency tires...............

I did not put numbers.

So according to the sticker, you can use both tire sizes. But larger size may be for alloy wheels which is wider. Then the diameter will be almost the same. When we see most of the models different tires are for different rims. Better to look in the catalogue.

70R means that the height of your sidewall is 70% of the width of your tyre. So, by going for 185/70R14, your sidewall height will change by about 5% and it will result in a slight speed 'o meter (and thereby the ODO as well) change.

1. Refer to this link to get a good idea about what kind of a change you'll be looking at:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=175-70r14-185-70r14

2. Your tyres will not touch the wheel well because of a 7mm change.

EDIT: Nevermind... just saw the attachment and the manufacturer has indeed specified that you can use both tyre sizes. You're all good.

EDIT 2: Corrected a typo

Edited by Davy

Rider, I think I was wrong. I now presume the 2nd tyre is an option.

Since the second size is given by manufacturer it can not go wrong (such as scraping wheel well etc.)

Only thing i though was these two tyres have different dimaters. The odometer may slighly deviate.

then only I found out this:

175*70%=122.5mm (nominal)

185*70%=129.5mm

What I thought is manufacturer should have selected a 185*65R14 tyre=>

Then, 185*65%=120.25mm (lower than the 1st size)

That is why he has given a slighly higher tyre diameter (185*70R14)

I think, you should have no problem in changing to the 2nd tyre size, as it is manufacturer recommended and already he has made calculations!

right side of your label refers to the tyre pressure = 2.1kg/cm2 = 30psi.

If this is less also, (you dont have enough tyre pressure), your ground clearance can reduce.

Bottom refers to your spare wheel deatils. that also actually confusing. My honda car has only one clear size for everything. LOL.

What can be the main factors that determines the tyre size of the car? (13, 14 etc.?)

Asking because my 1500cc presea has a tyre size of 13 by default... but my friend who has the same model 1500cc presea has a factory fitted tyre size of 14... so how come the same model vehicle come with different tyre sizes?

What can be the main factors that determines the tyre size of the car? (13, 14 etc.?)

Asking because my 1500cc presea has a tyre size of 13 by default... but my friend who has the same model 1500cc presea has a factory fitted tyre size of 14... so how come the same model vehicle come with different tyre sizes?

Ok, might be your car came up with standard 13"steel rims and his car offered with 14" alloys. But again wall height & rim size is the factor determining total diameter of the wheel. Just an idea!