• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Credit Card Fuel Overcharge Scam @ Col 7

mcs627

I have been an unfortunate victim of a scam where credit cards of unsuspecting fuel top up customers with a relatively large fuel purchase get "overcharged" at one of the largest and premier Eye-0hh-see fuel stations at Colombo 7.

What happened to me: After pumping fuel from 3/10 bars to full tank for Rs 3900 + I was asked to move the car forward and another car was brought to the pump. Thereafter I was presented with credit card receipt to sign for precisely 1000 Rs above what was shown on the pump (4900 +) at the end of the fill. When I challenged this the employees ganged up and claimed that the amount billed was correct. Now as another car was already being filled up at the same pump they said the meter cannot re display the fuel dispensing details for the previous sale (my topup). My car is a Toyota Prius and fuel was pumped in from 3 bars to full tank and the usual bill at present fuel rates (UroH 3) is less than Rs 4000. Now I was charged for 39+ litres in a car with a 45 litre petrol tank capacity with 3/10 bars still remaining when I commenced filling. I decided not to fight or complain to the management as I had no evidence to back up my claims though I was certain I was cheated.

What happened to my wife a few days later: Toyota Aqua. From 3 bars to full tank and again card was overcharged by precisely Rs.1000 (Approx Rs 2950 vs 3950 )fortunately she was still at the pump and she pointed this out and the sale was voided without a fuss.

I am 100% sure that I was cheated and what happened to my wife was not just another coincidence.The modus operandi appear to be to ideally move the vehicle out and get another one in at the pump and start filling plus the credit card machine is handled by a separate person so that in case the customer challenges a "miscommnucation" scenario is attributed for the "overcharge"

It is very likely a handful corrupt & nefarious employees getting together are targetting unsuspecting customers who are in a hurry who simply hand over the credit card and possibly sign the sale receipt without actually confirming that it is the same amount for which they actually pumped fuel for. It also seems the magical number for the surplus charge is apparently fixed at Rs 1000 ( I remain to be corrected if I am wrong by others with similar experience).

This is just a warning to anybody who patronises this joint and I plan to video the next fuel sale surreptitiously and corner them after they deliberately overcharge me. I encourage all credit card customers who patronise this joint to also to surreptitiously video the sale and compare it with the credit card sale bill/receipt when presented for signature. I look forward to hearing from anyone else with a similar experience.

Edited by mcs627

If they are indeed doing this, it can't only be low ranking employees who are involved. Someone who has access to their bank accounts has to be involved too for this to be profitable for them.

If you can prove it, I think this is a serious criminal activity and also falls under credit card fraud if I'm not mistaken.

More specific location details of the station would help in any case.

Welcome to the forum!

Similar kind of scams at fuel stations have been discussed in this forum over and over again. If you remain in your seat and expect the pump attendant to do all the work, you are serving them a chance on a plate to cheat you. Make sure you get down from the car and take a good look at the fuel pump to ensure they have reset the meter to zero, wait until they finish pumping, make your payment and walk away. I usually fill up my car from a fuel station just next to my home. Most if not all attendants know me personally. But still this is what I practice every time. This is Sri Lanka, if you take your guard off even for a moment you get played out.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 6

You dont have to worry, just name the shed. Secondly, get your ass out of the car when u pump petrol next time. I dont know why our people are so lazy.
You dont have to worry, just name the shed. Secondly, get your ass out of the car when u pump petrol next time. I dont know why our people are so lazy.
Welcome to the forum!

Similar kind of scams at fuel stations have been discussed in this forum over and over again. If you remain in your seat and expect the pump attendant to do all the work, you are serving them a chance on a plate to cheat you. Make sure you get down from the car and take a good look at the fuel pump to ensure they have reset the meter to zero, wait until they finish pumping, make your payment and walk away. I usually fill up my car from a fuel station just next to my home. Most if not all attendants know me personally. But still this is what I practice every time. This is Sri Lanka, if you take your guard off even for a moment you get played out.

indeed and always ask for a bill, you throw it away after that is a different matter and don't move away without settling everything. I don't, no matter how hard the vehicle behind honk the horn.

I have been an unfortunate victim of a scam where credit cards of unsuspecting fuel top up customers with a relatively large fuel purchase get "overcharged" at one of the largest and premier 7-0hh-see fuel stations at Colombo 7.

What happened to me: After pumping fuel from 3/10 bars to full tank for Rs 3900 + I was asked to move the car forward and another car was brought to the pump. Thereafter I was presented with credit card receipt to sign for precisely 1000 Rs above what was shown on the pump (4900 +) at the end of the fill. When I challenged this the employees ganged up and claimed that the amount billed was correct. Now as another car was already being filled up at the same pump they said the meter cannot re display the fuel dispensing details for the previous sale (my topup). My car is a Toyota Prius and fuel was pumped in from 3 bars to full tank and the usual bill at present fuel rates (UroH 3) is less than Rs 4000. Now I was charged for 39+ litres in a car with a 45 litre petrol tank capacity with 3/10 bars still remaining when I commenced filling. I decided not to fight or complain to the management as I had no evidence to back up my claims though I was certain I was cheated.

What happened to my wife a few days later: Toyota Aqua. From 3 bars to full tank and again card was overcharged by precisely Rs.1000 (Approx Rs 2950 vs 3950 )fortunately she was still at the pump and she pointed this out and the sale was voided without a fuss.

I am 100% sure that I was cheated and what happened to my wife was not just another coincidence.The modus operandi appear to be to ideally move the vehicle out and get another one in at the pump and start filling plus the credit card machine is handled by a separate person so that in case the customer challenges a "miscommnucation" scenario is attributed for the "overcharge"

It is very likely a handful corrupt & nefarious employees getting together are targetting unsuspecting customers who are in a hurry who simply hand over the credit card and possibly sign the sale receipt without actually confirming that it is the same amount for which they actually pumped fuel for. It also seems the magical number for the surplus charge is apparently fixed at Rs 1000 ( I remain to be corrected if I am wrong by others with similar experience).

This is just a warning to anybody who patronises this joint and I plan to video the next fuel sale surreptitiously and corner them after they deliberately overcharge me. I encourage all credit card customers who patronise this joint to also to surreptitiously video the sale and compare it with the credit card sale bill/receipt when presented for signature. I look forward to hearing from anyone else with a similar experience.

What is the fuel station exactly? is it the one near the Rosmead place or the one in front of the Nelum Pokuna. I usually go to the one near the Rosmead place cuz its en route to my office. Never experienced any such incident there although most of the time I use the card to pay them. As others have stated i get down from the car and stay near the pump as they fill and get the card swiped before or during the process.

As a habit I pump for a specific RUPEE value only. 4000 or 5000 or 3000, etc. Depending on the needle position.

Me too, it makes things just easier.

Since he mentioned LIOC and Euro 3 in code, I assume its the Alexandra Place shed.

Anyway OP, if you happen to come back to AL and read this thread, send me a PM. I happen to have an old friend of mine, who is a regional manager at LIOC. Could at least alert them so that at least the shed owner gets to know something like this is happening in his shed.

If they are indeed doing this, it can't only be low ranking employees who are involved. Someone who has access to their bank accounts has to be involved too for this to be profitable for them.

If you can prove it, I think this is a serious criminal activity and also falls under credit card fraud if I'm not mistaken.

More specific location details of the station would help in any case.

Not defending the owner or employees but just want to point out that:

1. They don't need to access the filling station bank accounts to fulfil this scam 'ramishkid'. They just have to keep track of how much extra was charged to customers during their shift and deduct that amount from the cash sales they got. ( At the end of the day if the total litres sold matches all the revenue from the credit card sales and the cash sales, that's all the owner will care about as reconciling each individual sale is too time consuming)

2. Its common to be ripped off if you're not vigilant. The average person makes ends meet with great difficulty, and I can see how they may be temped to make some extra money on the side at the expense of their customers. But that doesn't mean what they are doing is right or acceptable. In this scenario: Kudos to you 'mcs627' for noticing and thank you for letting us know so we're reminded to stay vigilant and updated on the various scams being run.

1. They don't need to access the filling station bank accounts to fulfil this scam 'ramishkid'. They just have to keep track of how much extra was charged to customers during their shift and deduct that amount from the cash sales they got. ( At the end of the day if the total litres sold matches all the revenue from the credit card sales and the cash sales, that's all the owner will care about as reconciling each individual sale is too time consuming)

2. Its common to be ripped off if you're not vigilant. The average person makes ends meet with great difficulty, and I can see how they may be temped to make some extra money on the side at the expense of their customers. But that doesn't mean what they are doing is right or acceptable. In this scenario: Kudos to you 'mcs627' for noticing and thank you for letting us know so we're reminded to stay vigilant and updated on the various scams being run.

I really doubt that the owner is even aware of this. Its probably a gang of employees who are paid a miserly 10000 bucks a month, wanting to get some extra income.

Just like you said, the 1000 rupees collected at the end of the day goes out of the cash sales and gets divided amongst the workers. Robbing every car from 1000 rupees makes it easier to keep track of the total at the end of the day. However, I am surprised at how bold these people are. If I was in their position, I would nick off 100 rupees or so from each car, not 1000. At the volume of cars they get, one can easily make something like 10000-20000 bucks a day. With this get-rich-quick scheme, they are bound to tick off some bigwig someday and land in a miserable soup.

Oh I didnt know thats how it worked. I thought credit card sales and cash sales are calculated and audited separately. Thanks for the explanation.

Oh I didnt know thats how it worked. I thought credit card sales and cash sales are calculated and audited separately. Thanks for the explanation.

They will be if the fuel dispensing system had a link to the accounting system which it does not in SL.

Fuel is dispensed separately and the recording of sales is manual. That is where this problem comes around. If the two were linked you will have to steal petrol to be able to cheat people at the pump as the receipt will be generated from the values recorded by the pump not the attendent. But believe me even with this system there are scams. The only solution is to be vigilant.

Experienced the exact same thing at the Meereehana Jubilee Post Roundadout Shed. Felt cheated for a proper 1000 rupees.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15647-petrol-stations-you-should-avoid/page-7?hl=%20petrol%20%20shed

Seems to be a play by the employees practiced at shady sheds, credit card or cash makes no difference.

Damn thats my local shed. I've not had an issue with them yet but then I keep my eyes on the meter and always pump by value not by liters or upto full tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar Incident happened today at PetroGas @Nawinna. there were couple of Pump attendants which are doing this. at today i was outside the Car and this guy started release the lock of the pump few times. noticed and shouted, bugger got panicked and spilled fuel all over the place.

I pumped at this shed today after a few years. Asked to pump for 2,000/-

While pumping, the hose started to 'vibrate' hard occasionally after passing 1,000/- as if wasn't pumping smoothly but the meter was running as it should be. Not sure if I was paranoid or if it was tampered with. When asked the attenden replied cheekily that that was 'normal'

I got cheated several times at Pala***e filling station,which has become a habit for them.I can only recommend Laug** filing stations as I have not yet encountered such events.

Yup, most of the time I'm filling from laug*s, frequently from the Havelock town one. Never had any issues with them. They only have 95 octane though.

• Like 1

I got cheated several times at Pala***e filling station,which has become a habit for them.I can only recommend Laug** filing stations as I have not yet encountered such events.

How does one get cheated "Several times" without realizing it?

Generally I pump using card. In some sheds, they take the card away and get me the bill. Then I start to worry whether the bugger has made another bill or not.

I really need get that SMS alert thing....

Generally I pump using card. In some sheds, they take the card away and get me the bill. Then I start to worry whether the bugger has made another bill or not.

I really need get that SMS alert thing....

Every time after pumping fuel, I note down the amount, litres pumped and the KM I have run. I only use LIOC fuel station next to SBC Colombo 7. I can even see them swipe the card just 10 feet away from the car and so far it is the best fuel station I have been.

Every time after pumping fuel, I note down the amount, litres pumped and the KM I have run. I only use LIOC fuel station next to SBC Colombo 7. I can even see them swipe the card just 10 feet away from the car and so far it is the best fuel station I have been.

This is the shed in question here though.

This is the shed in question here though.

Very strange. I have been using the service of the station from 2009. Before that I can remember my father had to use the same vendor as the company he was employed in had a credit facility with them.

I always get down and stay near the pump until the job is done. I only get into the car to sign the card sales slip.

Edit: Strangely the person who faced the problem and created the thread has not replied since 24th May.

Edited by Crishan
  • Like 1

Well... u know some guys... they get ass raped but they cant stand up for themselves, so they go on a rant on face book and on the internet... they are known as the millennial generation...

On a different note, the ceypetco shed at battaramulla (next to arpico) is a place i would recommend. They use portable credit card machines and they make it a point to bring the machine to you, while you are at the pump and swipe it then and there.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 4

@ crossword = I think I have clearly mentioned the following in my post ="This is just a warning to anybody who patronises this joint". The above comment is unfair. Did I go on a rant besides share my initial unpleasant experience ? I think being public spirited is not appreciated and I was naive in that context when I originated the thread. Getting duped appears to be trivial compared to being run down for trying to create awareness. C'est la vie. FYI I consider it beneath my dignity to get involved in a war of words over the sodomous and baseless statement above regarding which I have expressed my displeasure and I shall remain silent henceforth regardless of the contents of any reply~provocative or otherwise.

Edited by mcs627