• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can The 4G64 Be Turbocharged?

Lady Vettel

You own a Galant? Mamma mia!

Did a quick search on the interwebs and seems it's possible. Have a look here. I've toyed with the idea of turbocharging the 4G63 in my G. But to be honest, it's a very involved process. There's little sense in upgrading only the engine without moving from 2WD to 4WD. the complete conversion is possible if you have enough dough.

There are many Australian and New Zealand forums on the Galant and the Legnum. These guys are doing some really cool stuff with their cars, especially with the 6A13TT that came with the VR4.

• Like 1

You own a Galant? Mamma mia!

Did a quick search on the interwebs and seems it's possible. Have a look here. I've toyed with the idea of turbocharging the 4G63 in my G. But to be honest, it's a very involved process. There's little sense in upgrading only the engine without moving from 2WD to 4WD. the complete conversion is possible if you have enough dough.

There are many Australian and New Zealand forums on the Galant and the Legnum. These guys are doing some really cool stuff with their cars, especially with the 6A13TT that came with the VR4.

Richard Rawlings??????????

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="trinity" data-cid="280257" data-time="1437390615"><p>

<br />

Richard Rawlings??????????</p></blockquote>

lol. Grease Monkey was the last thing in my mind. Does he do modern classics. No right?

I think he was referring to you calling the internet interwebs instead of 'internet'. GYSOT !!!

Richard Rawlings??????????

lol. Grease Monkey was the last thing in my mind. Does he do modern classics. No right?
Gas monkey bang,, he does everything. Mostly American though. Others ranged from vw mini van to Ferrari F40. And tequila too!

@Sierra Charlie yup I do own a galant. What mods have you done?

I did read up on that article. As you mentioned there is a possibility to tuebocharge it, but there might be a lot of complications. Not the best feasible option I guess.

Reading up on other possible mods.

I don't have any mods yet. Find that I have enough torque and power with the car as it is to suit my needs.

Thinking of 17" rims & tyres. currently it's on 14"s and there's a hideous gap between the body and the wheels. One guy I know is on the 17"s for about 6 months now. Nothing untoward with his setup. I've the camber adjustment nuts. Planning to put them on the car sometime soon. I might put some strut bars and sway bars. Depends on the cashflow though.

What's the power output of the 4G64? Mine is rated for power at 100KW@6000RPM (About 134HP) and for torque at 178Nm@4500RPM. No idea how many horses have left the engine though.

• Like 1

I don't have any mods yet. Find that I have enough torque and power with the car as it is to suit my needs.

Thinking of 17" rims & tyres. currently it's on 14"s and there's a hideous gap between the body and the wheels. One guy I know is on the 17"s for about 6 months now. Nothing untoward with his setup. I've the camber adjustment nuts. Planning to put them on the car sometime soon. I might put some strut bars and sway bars. Depends on the cashflow though.

What's the power output of the 4G64? Mine is rated for power at 100KW@6000RPM (About 134HP) and for torque at 178Nm@4500RPM. No idea how many horses have left the engine though.

I was thinking down the same line 17'' with LPT. Camber would be a sick idea though!!

Power output of the 4G64 is 148 bhp or 110 kW @ 5500 rpm and torque at 225 Nm @ 3500 rpm.

Thinking down the line of doing a ECU tune up sometime in the future.

• Like 1

Those are pretty good numbers. Was your Galant brought down as brand new or used? Also, do you have manual or auto transmission?

I drove an auto Galant (4G63) and it's almost toothless compared to mine.

Never really considered an ECU tune. Have to dig a bit deeper and see what unearths.

I've seen a Galant Aspire and two Legnums. I know another two people who are passionate about their Galants. In fact, we go to the same mechanic and share other aspects of bromance.

Wouldn't it do less on fuel, when the tyre size become bigger?

Wouldn't it do less on fuel, when the tyre size become bigger?

Dude, fuel efficiency is never a strong point of the Galant. I don't even calculate and just enjoy the ride. :) I'm sure the fuel efficiency would suffer. By how much, I can't tell. But I wouldn't expect it to be too much of a deviation from the current numbers.

• Like 5

Those are pretty good numbers. Was your Galant brought down as brand new or used? Also, do you have manual or auto transmission?

I drove an auto Galant (4G63) and it's almost toothless compared to mine.

Never really considered an ECU tune. Have to dig a bit deeper and see what unearths.

I've seen a Galant Aspire and two Legnums. I know another two people who are passionate about their Galants. In fact, we go to the same mechanic and share other aspects of bromance.

Nope it was a used. It's trip tonic, I was actually looking for a manual but when I went to see this galant I just fell in love with it. Anyhow since I always wanted manual I am doing a manual conversion.

I was thinking of doing a performance tune up, doing my home work on it.

We should may be consider meeting up once my car's ready.

• Like 1

*Sigh*... I wish i had a few presea buddies too.. Like best buddies...
Dude, fuel efficiency is never a strong point of the Galant. I don't even calculate and just enjoy the ride. :) I'm sure the fuel efficiency would suffer. By how much, I can't tell. But I wouldn't expect it to be too much of a deviation from the current numbers.

@PreseaLover yes it would do less than normal but not a drastic change though. Nevertheless as said by Charlie calculating the fuel efficiency is a bad idea. Mine does roughly between 7-8 km city running!

• Like 1

Nope it was a used. It's trip tonic, I was actually looking for a manual but when I went to see this galant I just fell in love with it. Anyhow since I always wanted manual I am doing a manual conversion.

I was thinking of doing a performance tune up, doing my home work on it.

You are doing a manual conversion? :o Now this is news :)

Me and one of the Galant friends meet quite often. In fact, we met the same day at the same venue that @PreseaLover had their meet.

What's wrong with your Galant or you meant the manual conversion? My friend's Galant is an auto. So he too is interested in a manual conversion. Maybe we should meet up anyway. We have enough and more Mitsu lovers on AL to get some opinions and advice.

Me and one of the Galant friends meet quite often. In fact, we met the same day at the same venue that @PreseaLover had their meet.

What! And you guys didn't make it a point to walk over and trash talk the other group?! :D

@Charlie so you guys technically gate crashed..lol

There were some isssues which is already being looked into. And thereafter I'll be doing the manual conversion.

We should meet up. If possible information the other galant owners too. (Not seem many galant enthusiasts though?)

@Charlie so you guys technically gate crashed..lol

There were some isssues which is already being looked into. And thereafter I'll be doing the manual conversion.

We should meet up. If possible information the other galant owners too. (Not seem many galant enthusiasts though)

I had some issues with the IAC Valve, MAF sensor and the TPS. All were replaced at some point or other. I sourced the IACV and the MAF sensor locally while I brought down the TPS from abroad.

As for enthusiasts, you'd be surprised. There are many people who love and own this model. I haven't spoken to everybody I met. But I know at least 5 other people I can contact within a day if we go for a meetup.

Edited by Sierra Charlie
  • Like 1