• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help On Identifying Crashed Vehicles

kasdesilva

Question

4 answers to this question

i'm new to this site and got more knowledge by reffering this. specially from "http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/3430-how-to-buy-a-used-car-in-sri-lanka/"

i need to know how to identify a crashed vehicle. I have heard that crashed vehicles are difficult to sold. (not have a market value)

Is that true?

pls tell me how to identify a crashed vehicle

When I buy a car I always check for accident damage / and consequent repairs by:

1. Opening the fuel flap, boot area (under the carpets and behind the plastic / felt sides as well) and checking for any damage.

2. Comparing all the panel gaps (they should be minimal and consistent throughout)

3. Looking behind the bumper if possible and underneath the hood (bonnet) at the side panels and the front radiator mounts, the front beam (where the grill and radiator gets mounted) etc for evidence of repairs and misalignment.

4. Looking at all the lights (signal lights, headlights, taillights) for inconsistencies in colour and fitment

5. Looking at the roof-liner (inside the car) for discolouration, stains or scruff marks which may indicate a repair or water leaks due to a repair / crash

6. And obviously by driving the car ( make sure it drives straight and there are no strange noises, rattles or creaks).

7. If all of the above checks out, I then usually take it along to a mechanic for an inspection and evaluation before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

(I've also head of people taking a magnet, wrapped in cloth and running it along the sides of a car for indication of body filler, but I've never done that, but it sounds logical. The only thing is: If you scratch the car, while doing this the seller's going to be pretty upset, and even if there aren't any visible scratches after you finish; I don't think anyone would appreciate other individuals rubbing stuff along the painted sides of their car no matter how careful they are.)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 7

Good list by Kavvz.

If you are in doubt and if you really want to know if a particular car is been in a major accident, the best way to tell it is by putting the car up on a hoist and inspecting the chassis as well (preferably with a person who knows about what to look for). Major accidents are usually repaired by replacing the entire set of damaged panels or attaching a "cut" from another vehicle, so the body will continue to look straight - especially to untrained eyes.

(I've also head of people taking a magnet, wrapped in cloth and running it along the sides of a car for indication of body filler, but I've never done that, but it sounds logical. The only thing is: If you scratch the car, while doing this the seller's going to be pretty upset, and even if there aren't any visible scratches after you finish; I don't think anyone would appreciate other individuals rubbing stuff along the painted sides of their car no matter how careful they are.)

Paint thickness gauges can be used to do that and they're very cheap on eBay. Doesn't scratch the paint and beeps or indicates when the paint is thicker than normal. I wouldn't call a magnet a standard way of checking for the thickness of the paint because the size of the magnet can significantly change the way it sticks on to the vehicle.

I don't know about Japanese cars but most European and modern Korean cars have their logo embossed on the body panels such as the bonnet, wings. bootlid etc. When the panels are repaired (or even repainted), its virtually impossible to replicate this embossing and therefore that can be used to identify accident damage.