• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Lh 51 Auto Gear Problem

mightymicra

Question

Hello guys....wow its been a very long time since I last came here...just need a lil help from the experts..

My friend has a Toyota LH 51 super custom which has an auto gear box. It has a problem where sometimes when you put it in to "D" position it does not move at all. But as soon as you put in to "R" it moves..but does not move in a single forward positions. Well checked the gear oil and seems to be at the level..but I think the "ETC" light is also on. Can this be the issue. Guys can you please help me with this ??

Thank you in advance

5 answers to this question

Does it move in L or S positions?

Sounds like a faulty transmission, bad news is it might be a costly repair. Mostly probably the forward clutch doesn't engage.

It can also be a problem with the TCM, disconnect the battery for 10 mins and see if it works.

• Like 1

The ETC is "Electronic Transmission Control" and was popular in old Toyota vehicles with automatic transmission. There should be a switch somewhere (near the gear lever or on the dashboard) to turn ETC on and off. When ETC is on (indicator light is ON), the transmission holds each gear for a bit longer - a bit like the "Sport" position in modern cars. So I don't think ETC indicator is not really a warning light, although I'm not really sure if there are two separate indicators to show "ETC ON" and "ETC Fault". You should however flip the switch to the OFF position and see if that causes the van to move. If it does, then the ETC system is probably at fault.

How long since ATF oil was changed?

Helloo guys..thank you very much for all the comments.."Davy" yes sorry about the "ETC" thing..it was the switch but pressing it or releasing it does not help. and "Stig" n "John" yes I can move the stick in to other positions from D to 2 to L (1) ..problem is it does not move in any forward positions. It ll kick in as soon as you put it in to "R". if you wanna move forward you just have to toggle within the gears and accelerate a bit high n hope for the best n it ll suddenly jump and start to go. and the fault will not occur for the rest of the day even longer period. This comes and goes. My guess is also it might be the forward clutch. the engine is in kind a bad shape..so hoping to do a complete swap..but I do not know it ll be soon. So just in case keep the ideas and comments flowing in guys. Thank you for the support.. :)

Hello guys....wow its been a very long time since I last came here...just need a lil help from the experts..

My friend has a Toyota LH 51 super custom which has an auto gear box. It has a problem where sometimes when you put it in to "D" position it does not move at all. But as soon as you put in to "R" it moves..but does not move in a single forward positions. Well checked the gear oil and seems to be at the level..but I think the "ETC" light is also on. Can this be the issue. Guys can you please help me with this ??

Thank you in advance

When was the last time you changed the gear box oil ? one of my cousin had same issue with his serena, issue was sorted for sometime once you change the gear box oil. But it was diagnosed as a gear box failure and was advised to replace the gearbox.