• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Camry 2007

Isuru_Siriwardana

Hi Experts,

I'm looking for a 2007 Toyota Camry :speechless-smiley-004: (to buy in mid of 2016 :) ). I know the fuel economy figures are bad but I'm more interested in driving pleasure and the features of the car. As of the current market it can be bought less than 3.5m.

I've googled about the 2007 2.4L model and found that the engine (2AZ-FE) exhibit excessive oil consumption after 130k miles (reference). As of the reports it is not cheap to repair the engine.

Camry owners/experts please let me know your experience on this problem. And also I would like to know other maintenance details of the car.

I will not go for the Camry if the above issue is common in SL. :(

Thanks.

Hi Experts,

I'm looking for a 2007 Toyota Camry :speechless-smiley-004: (to buy in mid of 2016 :) ). I know the fuel economy figures are bad but I'm more interested in driving pleasure and the features of the car. As of the current market it can be bought less than 3.5m.

I've googled about the 2007 2.4L model and found that the engine (2AZ-FE) exhibit excessive oil consumption after 130k miles (reference). As of the reports it is not cheap to repair the engine.

Camry owners/experts please let me know your experience on this problem. And also I would like to know other maintenance details of the car.

I will not go for the Camry if the above issue is common in SL. :(

Thanks.

Well the 2AZ-FE is the same engine the A30 series RAV4 and Vanguard comes in. I have had 4 RAVs of the same model and the engine has been relatively trouble free. Granted:

1. I take/took care of it..checked fluids, etc...regularly but I only changed oil 2500-5000K depending on where I was living and didn't notice any oil reduction

2. All 4 had/have relatively low miles....current one just has 60K and the one with the highest mileage was 86K so no idea if the problems develop after that.

I have also been looking at Camries the last few weeks...a few things to note based on what I looked at:

a. The Camry has no driving pleasure...it is for comfort not driving fun..granted the huge engine makes it peppier than your average Allion/Axio/Pri/etc...it is quite comfortable. if you want driving pleasure out of a Toyota..look for something like a Mark X (almost none for sale right now except for a red (re-painted from white) unit which has been sitting at a car sales lot since 2011.

b. All the brand new imports I have seen had cracked dashboard surfaces...and the leathery material was sticky...so watch out for that. However, I did not notice any cracks on the JDM imports

Well the 2AZ-FE is the same engine the A30 series RAV4 and Vanguard comes in. I have had 4 RAVs of the same model and the engine has been relatively trouble free. Granted:

1. I take/took care of it..checked fluids, etc...regularly but I only changed oil 2500-5000K depending on where I was living and didn't notice any oil reduction

2. All 4 had/have relatively low miles....current one just has 60K and the one with the highest mileage was 86K so no idea if the problems develop after that.

I have also been looking at Camries the last few weeks...a few things to note based on what I looked at:

a. The Camry has no driving pleasure...it is for comfort not driving fun..granted the huge engine makes it peppier than your average Allion/Axio/Pri/etc...it is quite comfortable. if you want driving pleasure out of a Toyota..look for something like a Mark X (almost none for sale right now except for a red (re-painted from white) unit which has been sitting at a car sales lot since 2011.

b. All the brand new imports I have seen had cracked dashboard surfaces...and the leathery material was sticky...so watch out for that. However, I did not notice any cracks on the JDM imports

Thank you iRage for your explanation. I haven't driven a Camry yet but I think driving will feel heavy and confident.

The Mark X is the best choice but, as you mentioned it is very rare to find one. :(

Could you please tell me what are the model numbers of brand new import one and the JDM one. :)

Thanks!

Could you please tell me what are the model numbers of brand new import one and the JDM one. :)

Thanks!

What do you mean ? The model code designation for the JDMs are ACV40 (FWD) and ACV45(AWD). No idea what the export model designations are. The JDMs' speedometer goes only up to 180kmph so that is one way to figure it out....all the JDMs I saw had fabric/velvet like seats whilst the locally bought brand new units had leathery crap.

Edited by iRage

I drove a 2008 Camry across a few states while I was living in the...States. I think it's a brilliant car for spending time in, the seats are really supportive and there isn't much fatigue even after driving for 5 hours straight (I usually suffer from numb shoulders and neck stiffness after long drives). It has things like rear a/c, tons of storage pockets, and great visibility. As far as driving 'pleasure' goes...there isn't much. This car is primarily a family mover, and geared to be as such, which means focus is more on things like practicality and comfort. If you want a good drive, consider a rear wheel drive car like the Mark X, Mark 2, Verossa or Altezza.

Mark X, Mark 2, Verossa or Altezza.

Unfortunately those are hard to come buy too....Altezzas and Verrosas are a bit better than finding a Mark X. Saw one Altezza and three Verossas which were all hacked. There seem to be more Mark 2s than the other three and came across one nice maroon colored car but that was sold in a few hours (checked it out and went to check another car...by the time I finished checking the second car the first one..the good one...was sold). Also, Mark 2, Verossa and even Altezza are significantly older than 2007 :)

I agree with most comments here, if you are looking for driving pleasure look for elsewhere. I have not driven mark x or mark 2 so I can't comment on those. But when it comes to driving pleasure one Japanese car brand comes to my mind is Mazda. Their driving dynamics is similar to BMW. I once had a 2012 BMW 3 series and one day I test drove a Mazda 3 for fun. Man similarities I found in the two. Camry is more of a comfortable cruiser with a loads of space. A good car if you have a family and kids.

I agree with most comments here, if you are looking for driving pleasure look for elsewhere. I have not driven mark x or mark 2 so I can't comment on those. But when it comes to driving pleasure one Japanese car brand comes to my mind is Mazda. Their driving dynamics is similar to BMW. I once had a 2012 BMW 3 series and one day I test drove a Mazda 3 for fun. Man similarities I found in the two. Camry is more of a comfortable cruiser with a loads of space. A good car if you have a family and kids.

Well to be honest the Mark 2 with the 1G-FE (2.0L) engine is not that of a hoot to drive. The RWD aspect gives a nice push to it but that is it....of those that have the 1G-FE engine I find the Altezza and the Verossa much nicer with the dynamics....now we were talking about a mark 2 Tourer V with a LSD and stuff then it is a whole other story. However I don't think there are any with the LSD around in SL (most are some sort of Grande variants).

Again a similar story with the Mark X. The normal line of Mark Xs are pretty subdued but even then I found it a nicer a bit more exciting drive than the Mark 2 (the body dynamics contribute a lot I think..the Mark 2 is a tall car on stilts). If you can get your hands on the sports line then it gets a bit more exciting (then again..no idea if there are any around). Also, you need to understand that Toyotas inherently have comparatively light steering. EVen with the BZ Touring with the factory tire and wheel size it is quite numb but with the after market kit it is much better weighted. Same with the RAV4, although I didn't change the wheels I got rid of the crappy tree-hugging save the world factory set which actually gave a bit more grip and in turn a bit more feel (resistence ?) to the hand.

Yes the Mazdas are quite nice to drive (with the relative exception of the Hybrid Axela which kills some of the zoominess). You might also want to consider a Subaru ? <if you can find one that hasn't gone through a ricer)

• 4 years later...