• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ignition Key Barrel Worn Out, Hard To Start Car

amilaart

Hi Expert

I was start ride on Lancer CS3 from last month.

I have following issue with my car.

Previous owner has been used duplicate key while Original key keep in safe custody.

It is very hard to start car with both original or duplicate key.

For start the car need extra power to push key in to hole and need turn key with same power.

Removing key from hole also not easy and key hit against some thing.

When key turning normal pressure, Dash board digital clock and Radio back light got dimmed.

What is the reason for this?

According to one of my friend it is the symptoms of Worn out key barrel.

Doors can open with key.

If my ignition key barrel worn out, what is the my next step. Do I need to replace whole key barrel or Can I repair key barrel?

Is any good place around Kandy to do this job

Thank you for the support

regards

Amila

It could be a jammed/worn out key cylinder or sheared metal parts from the duplicate key being stuck inside the cylinder. Some badly cut duplicate keys can damage the cylinder. You can take the car to a garage and have them remove it and get it cleaned to see if that works. The cylinder is sealed if I remember correctly, and can only be cleaned by spraying some contact cleaner through the keyhole. After thoroughly drying it, you can apply a thin layer of silicone grease on a key and then insert it so that it lubricates the moving parts inside.

If this doesn't solve it, contact UniMo and have them order a key cylinder for you. I believe they will use the serial number on the key/cylinder and get one from Japan. Might take a couple of weeks though.

Edited by Davy