• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer C12 - Uneven Tire Wear.

Iced-T

Question

My lancer C12 (13 sri car) has excessive tire wear on the rear right hand side wheel. The car has not had any accidents and the rear springs and shocks are fine. Can anyone advise me on how to diagnose this problem?

The wear is on the outer surface of the tire.. the inner surface has thread.

19 answers to this question

.Get your wheel alignment checked,..an adjustment on the wheel in question may be needed,..and have the place check the suspension before adjusting preferably with the car lifted

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

.Get your wheel alignment checked,..an adjustment on the wheel in question may be needed,..and have the place check the suspension before adjusting preferably with the car lifted

TT.

Usually wheel alignment is only done for the front 2 wheels right? Do they do alignment for the rear wheels? any recommended places for me to do this? I live in Colombo.

• Like 1

Usually wheel alignment is only done for the front 2 wheels right? Do they do alignment for the rear wheels? any recommended places for me to do this? I live in Colombo.

Yes of course the rear wheels are checked and judging by the fact you didnt know this I guess you haven't done a wheel alignment since you bought the car which is most probably the reason for the uneven wear.

However in some cars certain adjustment cannot be done due to the factory setup.

While you are at it get tour wheels balanced as well.

• Like 1

Yes of course the rear wheels are checked and judging by the fact you didnt know this I guess you haven't done a wheel alignment since you bought the car which is most probably the reason for the uneven wear. However in some cars certain adjustment cannot be done due to the factory setup. While you are at it get tour wheels balanced as well.

As a temporary fix, since I know that there is a mis-alignment have have taken the rear wheel and flipped it and put it back on the same tire. Until I buy a new tire for the car.

Once the new tires come in I will have to do the alignment and the balancing.

Any recommended places to go to?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Iced-T" data-cid="291792" data-time="1462179412"><p> <br />

As a temporary fix, since I know that there is a mis-alignment have have taken the rear wheel and flipped it and put it back on the same tire. Until I buy a new tire for the car. <br />

<br />

Once the new tires come in I will have to do the alignment and the balancing. <br />

<br />

Any recommended places to go to? </p></blockquote>

<br />

Do not flip sides if the tires are rotational, they are designed to be used only in one direction. If they are rotational and you flip them you may loose grip, especially in the wet. I don't see the rational behind not doing wheel alignment, it's only around 1000 rupees. <br />

<br />

You will anyways get a discount when you buy tires or someplaces will do alignment for free if you buy tires. <br />

<br />

Best thing is to do an alignment now and keep the tires as it is until you CA afford to buy new tires.

You can try U&h in Malay Street, they are good but very busy. Most tire shops will do a good job if they have your cars profile. Where do you live?

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 1

Do not flip sides if the tires are rotational, they are designed to be used only in one direction. If they are rotational and you flip them you may loose grip, especially in the wet. I don't see the rational behind not doing wheel alignment, it's only around 1000 rupees. You will anyways get a discount when you buy tires or someplaces will do alignment for free if you buy tires. Best thing is to do an alignment now and keep the tires as it is until you CA afford to buy new tires.

Thanks for the reply.. I will have to check if the tires are rotational type.

anyway..

The thing is the tire is very badly worn out only at the outer edge. I have to replace that particular tire immediately as it is very close to seeing the threads (the car doesnt have a spare).. the three running tires are in good condition.

The car wont be used until the tire is replaced (its not my daily runner).

So I decided to flip it temporarily and bring it home.. just so that I can drive it to a tire shop and get the whole thing done properly. :)

:sad-smiley-067:

• Like 1

Yes,Wheel alignment can be checked and adjusted on all four wheels on your car.

My lancer C12 (13 sri car) has excessive tire wear on the rear right hand side wheel. The car has not had any accidents and the rear springs and shocks are fine. Can anyone advise me on how to diagnose this problem?

The wear is on the outer surface of the tire.. the inner surface has thread.

Normally its the front tyres that have this issue

How long have you had this car? any idea if it had a side impact before you bought this or some distortion

remember my dads Renault 4 had the same issue back in the 90's and it was due to badly corroded chassis bar welded crookedly and as a result the suspension arm was mis-aligned (it had independent rear suspension)

On a unrelated issue how much does it do on fuel with /without AC ,we had a C12 few years ago and it was only doing 7-8kmpl

Normally its the front tyres that have this issue

How long have you had this car? any idea if it had a side impact before you bought this or some distortion

remember my dads Renault 4 had the same issue back in the 90's and it was due to badly corroded chassis bar welded crookedly and as a result the suspension arm was mis-aligned (it had independent rear suspension)

On a unrelated issue how much does it do on fuel with /without AC ,we had a C12 few years ago and it was only doing 7-8kmpl

Hi carboy2011,

The car has been in my family since 1996. Very rarely used and always been a 2nd car. The car has never been in any accident but it has been through really bad roads.

How would I check if the chassis bar is crooked ? or if the suspension arm is mis-aligned? Is there any place I can go to where someone can see it and give me proper advice regarding this?

I drive the car with A/C and I get about 10-11 kmpl.

Yes,Wheel alignment can be checked and adjusted on all four wheels on your car.

It's true that alignment can be checked for all four wheels.

But, is it possible to adjust rear wheel alignment ?

It's true that alignment can be checked for all four wheels.

But, is it possible to adjust rear wheel alignment ?

Some cars do not have adjustment screws but wheel alignment places bend the connecting parts manually if they are way off (rods, trailing arms, torsion beams) Edited by The Stig

Hi carboy2011,

The car has been in my family since 1996. Very rarely used and always been a 2nd car. The car has never been in any accident but it has been through really bad roads.

How would I check if the chassis bar is crooked ? or if the suspension arm is mis-aligned? Is there any place I can go to where someone can see it and give me proper advice regarding this?

I drive the car with A/C and I get about 10-11 kmpl.

would be great to see a pic of your car if you dont mind,I always liked the C12 as its very modern and loaded with features for an 1985 model car

Is this the model called as "wijeweera model" or the wagon?

Yes. those days, the wagon version of this car was frequently referred to as Lancer Attanayake model. Attanayake was Wijeweera's alias when he was caught. I guess some ppl called in Wijeweera model.

• Like 1