• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vezel Flood Damage

sira

Hi

one my friend's car has damaged by recent flood and seems water has reached to top of the car.fully dead.

how to release paring break and move the gear in to Nutal position ?

sira

Sorry to hear that but few sites i came across which i didnt have time to read all but have a look...it says under no circumstance to start the vehicle at all. hope some of this helps

https://transportevolved.com/2014/02/13/bad-weather-guide-what-to-do-if-your-electric-car-has-been-in-a-flood/

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/31/flood-damaged-car-insurance/

If the car went fully under water, most probably it's a write off.

Does anyone know LK insurance policy on this?

I think its depend on Agent or any reputed repair center. If they confirms this vehicle is beyond repair, then Insurance has to pay. Otherwise, insurance has to repair the car. :violent-smiley-027:

Thanks Guys

It seems that SLI covers only 10% of electronic/electrical of any car ( still on discussion). so since this is hybrid car, they pay only for 30% of total cost of repair which is horrible. Honda agents said if it drawn up to dashboard level , 95% possibility to write-off.

will update soon

sira

My relative also seems to be having a tough time negotiating with LOLsee people.He is in a worse situation,because he had made the stupid decision to take the car home before calling them. What can be done with 30%?it's Not even 3 lakhs if you consider 1 million replacement parts cost(best case).You can repair 30% of the electric components only? Or they assume that 70% of the battery was dead already at the time of damage and they are not allowed to fix it to a condition better than that? Flood damaged hybrid repairs cost is way higher than a regular car.If this was a developed country,we would see many class-action law suits against such insurance companies.

My relative also seems to be having a tough time negotiating with LOLsee people.He is in a worse situation,because he had made the stupid decision to take the car home before calling them. What can be done with 30%?it's Not even 3 lakhs if you consider 1 million replacement parts cost(best case).You can repair 30% of the electric components only? Or they assume that 70% of the battery was dead already at the time of damage and they are not allowed to fix it to a condition better than that? Flood damaged hybrid repairs cost is way higher than a regular car.If this was a developed country,we would see many class-action law suits against such insurance companies.

Developed country as in? What this country ain't developed enough for you buddy? Go on then, name this 'developed' country where insurance companies come knocking on your door with payout cheques in hand...or where the citizens are filing class-action law suits against insurance companies that not paying out a 100% percent of the claimed value?

Come on! Its the same shit over there probably, if you don't get flood insurance / didn't get the option of flood insurance you don't get paid anything. Even if you did get flood insurance, I'm sure those insurance companies are just like the ones in SL and will try anything so as not to payout and when they do, I'm sure they payout the absolute minimum amount. Insurance companies are the same the world over...its the nature of the business. All insurance companies are out to maximize profits after all right? And the way to do that is to minimize payouts.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

No,I am talking about the case where you have flood damage cover. but the buggers pay maximum 30% for a hybrid where flooding was not dashboard high but enough to make the electric system dead.in a developed country,the coverage is fine tuned for each vehicle also considering technical aspects.so they would not apply the criteria for writeoff(flood until dashboard) from a regular car,to a hybrid car where the damage will be same even if flooding was wheel high!

No,I am talking about the case where you have flood damage cover. but the buggers pay maximum 30% for a hybrid where flooding was not dashboard high but enough to make the electric system dead.in a developed country,the coverage is fine tuned for each vehicle also considering technical aspects.so they would not apply the criteria for writeoff(flood until dashboard) from a regular car,to a hybrid car where the damage will be same even if flooding was wheel high!

Yes, but what is this 'developed' country you keeping referring to where all these magical insurance payouts / adjustments occur? I bet its all just like Sri Lanka with respect to paying off claims where the damage is assessed an appropriate payout is determined based on the proportion of the evaluated loss.

Its not the insurance companies fault that your relative tried to start the car without seeking proper advice (and probably made things worse in the process) now is it? Its also not the insurance company's fault that the car was moved so they couldn't do a proper assessment. You stated that after being flooded up to the level of the boot your relative started the car and drove it home and that the following day it didn't start and was throwing out a bunch of error codes; which while being likely a result of the flood, can't be attributed directly to it as he had by then driven, and stored the car overnight.

Now I don't know for sure, but I think in any other country, developed or not, the insurance company would have a similar response where they wouldn't write off the full value of the car as it was still running after the flood damage and was stored overnight at a private residence before they were notified. You see how this opens up the potential for all kinds of fraud or damage caused due to incompetence / owner misjudgments? So really to me their response makes sense.

Had he not mistaken his hybrid car for a cellphone and had it towed to TL or any other competent mechanic for advice he probably won't be in this situation now would he? Also if he called his insurance company and gotten their input on what he should have done when he realized his car was probably flood damaged the insurance company wouldn't be making such an issue of things now would they?

If I was in his situation, I'd be upset too, but really the insurance company has reason to voice objections. Clearly your relative was in the wrong here, and its not up to the insurance company to run around in circles rectifying / compensating him for his bad decisions. If that was the case, then all our premiums would go up as the cost of insurance would rise as its linked directly to estimated / calculated payouts per insured category.

Now I don't know about you but I don't want to pay more for my insurance policy just so that the insurance company can adjust their payout ratios in order to compensate car owners who can't tell the difference between a hybrid car worth 55 lakhs that has food damage, or a Rs 55,000 cell phone that was dropped in the sink.

Edited by Kavvz

Dear friends

with refereed to this post - http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17791-vezel-flood-damage/#entry292743

what is your opinion of buying all electronic parts from recon shop and build the vesel? will it be operate as before. I have some gray areas.

the hybrids are 75% electronic and also it controlled by software ( i believe).i have not come across with all modules but i think there will be a software which control below applications

• Engine /fuel control
  • Gear box
  • ABS
  • dashboard - gauges....etc
  • Motor control
  • Battery management

so if i buy all of above items from recon shop and build the car, will this operate as earlier? i think , if the software are not compatible each other , then it will gives you some problems

what is your advice please?

sira

In Sri Lanka, we pay about 2% of the market value of a car as the insurance premium. Exactly how much do you pay for your fine-tuned customized insurance policy in your developed country?

Sorry if some people with contacts to the insurance sector are offended. Here we pay about 4% of the value,mainly because the value of car is about half(just 19% sales tax).it also helps with the decision to go for a write-off,instead of bothering to repair.

Sorry if some people with contacts to the insurance sector are offended. Here we pay about 4% of the value,mainly because the value of car is about half(just 19% sales tax).it also helps with the decision to go for a write-off,instead of bothering to repair.

Well I don't have any contacts to the insurance sector, I'm just a consumer who appreciates low insurance rates ! ( And I think I'll take the 2% over the 4% rate, thank you very much...)

Edited by Kavvz

In Sri Lanka, we pay about 2% of the market value of a car as the insurance premium. Exactly how much do you pay for your fine-tuned customized insurance policy in your developed country?

Wow. just did the numbers and the premium came exactly 2.1% of the market value. Never bothered to find out that fact.

Anyhoo the insurance company honored every claim so far without any hassle and I went to authorized agent for all accident repairs.

Guys

how easy to build this car with recon parts? as this is a hybrid car i think 50% of controlling by electronic as well as software/firmware.

If we buy all the parts - Motor control, ECU,ABS. dashboard...etc from re-con shop then build the car, will it be work as before? i believe all of modules will have some firmware and if they mismatch then car will not run properly. But if repairs by agents, they will order correct part.

what is your opinion on this please?

Thank you

I'm quite sure most of the people who have commented are by no means affiliated to insurance companies cos the same people have taken the insurance companies to task in other threads. I'd rather say it's something to do with your opinions etc :D

Guys

how easy to build this car with recon parts? as this is a hybrid car i think 50% of controlling by electronic as well as software/firmware.

If we buy all the parts - Motor control, ECU,ABS. dashboard...etc from re-con shop then build the car, will it be work as before? i believe all of modules will have some firmware and if they mismatch then car will not run properly. But if repairs by agents, they will order correct part.

what is your opinion on this please?

Thank you

Your question is very generic. How trailed are you willing to be?

It can range from replacing the larger components to stripping it down to the bare shell and replacing everything.

On the topic, would there be concessions made for some form of 'body permit' for flood-damaged? It might make sense to buy a similar vehicle in japan, and bring in all the parts except the body shell and fit them onto your dead car.

edit:

makes me wonder how Tsunami vehicles were restored. And that was salt water!

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

I'm just a consumer who appreciates low insurance rates ! ( And I think I'll take the 2% over the 4% rate, thank you very much...)

What is the purpose of low rate if claims are rejected or deduced more than 60% ??

We too love low rates until they pay our full claim. Otherwise, better to have 3rd party and repair the car by own money.

This is the mentality of our car owners(including my relative with the flooded Prius)showing off their shiny hybrids to neighbours' wife. They would take 2% coverage with 70% less compensation instead of 4% coverage with 100% compensation! IMO,better have 3rd party.

This is the mentality of our car owners(including my relative with the flooded Prius)showing off their shiny hybrids to neighbours' wife. They would take 2% coverage with 70% less compensation instead of 4% coverage with 100% compensation! IMO,better have 3rd party.

Even if your relative had payed 4% for coverage in your so called developed country he'd face the same fate. For as I said before: Your relative based on the narrative you provided made a lot of bad decisions which invalidated / diluted his claim.

If he hadn't done what he did, he may have been able to get the insurance company to cover the cost of his repair.

Edited by Kavvz