• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing A Used Car From The Uk

carboy2011

Question

I would like to know if anyone has imported a car for personal use (not for re-sale) from the UK to Sri Lanka

I'm basically attracted by the Nissan March (known as Micra in UK) 2013/14 model or the Suzuki Swift 2013/14 models which are around £ 5000 (approx Rs 1 mill) + shipping (CIF)

However does anyone have any ideas as to roughly how much tax I would need to pay if I do bring one down,I dont want to ship something and then find I have to pay a huge tax bill

I would be greatfull for any help / suggestions

11 answers to this question

Those 2 cars, the FOB values are not in the latest customs value list

So exact value has to be get from the relevant agents in SL

Assuming the values are not changed;

Nissan K13 (1200cc) approximately

FOB = 1,150,000 JPY

FREIGHT = 53,250 jpy

Insurance = 3000 jpy

Total = 1,206,250 jpy

Duty = 1,206,250 × 1.36 × 184 % SLR

For SuzukiZ C72S

FOB = JPY 1,300,000.00

Same calculation

Edited by priyanka

Those are cars you can easily find in SL. If you're that worried about the tax bill, buy a 2nd hand car.

And correct me if i'm wrong a early/mid 2014 car cant be imported (>2yrs). And even if you can, those cars have been through 2 winters worth of salt-sprayed roads. So you'll see a lot more rust on that than a car bought locally or imported from japan.

Those are cars you can easily find in SL. If you're that worried about the tax bill, buy a 2nd hand car.

And correct me if i'm wrong a early/mid 2014 car cant be imported (>2yrs). And even if you can, those cars have been through 2 winters worth of salt-sprayed roads. So you'll see a lot more rust on that than a car bought locally or imported from japan.

They have changed the maximum age for car for importation

Now it's 3 years

Well, I got down 2 cars from UK

A freelander 2 and a shogun

None of them were with rust

But I heard that commercial vehicles like cabs are with rust some time.

From UK the cost for freight and agent fee is about three times compared to Japan

So I also believe getting them from Japan is the most cost effective thing

Machan actually right now im in the UK as I was working here and now going to get back to SL rusting does not happen in cars here like in SL,the rust proofing is very very good,if you see any cars with corrosion you can be sure 9/10 times it will be an English built Ford or Vauxhall and in some cases a German cars mudguard might have some rust

thanks all for the replies,I was looking if importing from UK was cheaper than importing from Japan as right now im in UK and can personally select a car thats why

As for rust in undercarriage is not correct as the rust proofing for imports here are very sound and rarely do you see corroded car and if you do you can be sure that 9/10 times it will be an English built Ford or Vauxhall older model (more than 10 years old)

Well..the price of the car itself is not that much of a bargain compared to in Japan...and seems like the freight and insurance cost will be higher than from Japan..thus making the car more expensive than sourcing from Japan.Tax/duty rates would be the same...Only consolation seems to be that you get to pick your own car (also that certain things would be in English as opposed to Japanese). Is there no way you can find a trust worthy source where you can get one of those cars sourced for you from Japan ?

Also, if you are working in UK....and have been for sometime and transferred forex to SL you might want to check if the SL Customs and MoF still offer the permit for foreign workers. However, the only benefit you get out of that is that you get to import a car that is up to 10 years old (depending on how long you owned it for abroad). Tax/Duty benefits are not that attractive anymore.....again...only worth it if you want to bring a "SPECIAL" older car that you have owned abroad...

Well..the price of the car itself is not that much of a bargain compared to in Japan...and seems like the freight and insurance cost will be higher than from Japan..thus making the car more expensive than sourcing from Japan.Tax/duty rates would be the same...Only consolation seems to be that you get to pick your own car (also that certain things would be in English as opposed to Japanese). Is there no way you can find a trust worthy source where you can get one of those cars sourced for you from Japan ?

Also, if you are working in UK....and have been for sometime and transferred forex to SL you might want to check if the SL Customs and MoF still offer the permit for foreign workers. However, the only benefit you get out of that is that you get to import a car that is up to 10 years old (depending on how long you owned it for abroad). Tax/Duty benefits are not that attractive anymore.....again...only worth it if you want to bring a "SPECIAL" older car that you have owned abroad...

well the special older car i have is a VW Passat 2.0litre but sadly its a 2002 model so cannot bring it :sad-smiley-068: