• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On Buying A Mitsubishi Used Car

Yaman

Question

I'm looking for some experts advice on buying a Mitsubishi used car.

My maximum budget is around 2.2M with following requirements.

1) Good Fuel Consumption

2) Full option

3) Easy maintenance.

4) Engine 1500Cc or more...

5) YOM 2003-2008

6) Prefer Auto Gear car but manual is also fine.

I have a list of choice but need your expert advice on....

CS1

CS2

CS3

What are the other choices that can be considered.

What would be the best fit car for my requirements considering the above list of choice.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

CS1 - 1300cc
CS2 - 1500cc
CS3 - 1600cc

For 2.2mn u would be able to find a CS2/3 YOM 2003 or 2004 i guess
1) They are sedans so dont expect fuel figures like in hybrids or hatchbacks . CS2/CS3 wouldnt hav much difference in fuel consumption and the auto would do 1 or 2 kmpl less than the manual.

2)Full option comes as GLX with ABS ,airbags and PS ,PM
3)They are jap cars and maintenance/spares wouldnt be a problem.

4) CS2 and CS3 are 1500 and 1600cc respectively

5) CS cars after 2007 had minor upgrades than the older 2003 models

• 2003-2006 has a different old style steering wheel than the 2007 upwards model
  • Front grille is more roundish and small than the 2007 upwards model
  • 2003-2006 basic models did not come with power shutters whereas from 2007 upwards all CS models came with power shutters.
  • both facelift and the old 2003 models have the same engine and suspension .

6)U could squeeze out some more KMPL out of a manual than an auto . No other issue other than that between auto and manual.

Thigs to look for when buying .

• If it was owned by a company and the meter reading is like 100000kms then probably the meter is altered . If u still want to buy it although the meter is altered Get the engine checked through the agents.
  • CS1 Auto would have less pulling power . try to go for a cs2 or cs3.
  • Ive seen an autogear lancer CS2 with 200000km on the odo running fine . if the car was maintained properly dont get scared of the mileage.
  • Check things like suspension bushes and shockabsorbers coz a suspension repair on these are costly.
  • You wouldn't be able to identify the difference between a cs1 /cs2/ cs3 from outside or the interior unless you check the Model number.
  • They have hydraulic operated clutches so if the clutch pedal feels spongy . then its probably time to replace the clutch pumps.
  • When the Abs light goes off u will hear a relay switching off "tick" sound which is normal .
  • Check if the idle up works by switching on the ac . if not . maybe a simple fix as cleaning the Idle valve or an expensive fix such as replacing the idle controller.
  • Take off the spark plug covers and check for oil leaks into the spark plugs . (A common fault in those engines) simple fix , not costly
  • Mobil oil in Mitsubishi engines are known to give sludge problems . so if mobil was used . get prepared do a complete engine flush and use Valvoline instead . (not 100% sure about the credibility of this information coz it is said by the agents, but better safe than sorry ).
  • If an Auto then the auto gearbox would need proper maintenance and periodic oil changes which will make sure the auto box runs forerver without much issue.
  • Gear shifter on mitsubishis are stiff compared with most cars . so if its wobbly , then the bushes at the end of the shifter cable needs replacing . (no idea about cost but wouldnt be much expensive i guess)
  • whatever the seller says , unless he has replaced the timing belt through the agent keep some money to spare for a timing belt change and get it changes as soon as possible.
  • If u want a better look than performance . Buy a 2007 or 2008 facelift model CS1 manual . has some decent ammount of pickup . if ur more of a drive fast person then buy a cs2 or cs3 but for 2.2mn u would have to go for the prefacelift model .
  • Like 7

Don't know the exact market value..but it'll be 2.8mn+ because of current crazy car market...saw 2.2mn asking for 2003 lancer ck2...

Anyway most of the pros&cons are previously discussed,so searching in the forum might help lot... Only thing I dislike in this model is cheap looking interior...

cant think about any cons :P

Pros- Its a japanese car and much more comfortable than most jap cars

Search the forum . there are some threads with info about the CS model

150000 kms is ok if its a genuine mileage . and about the current market - can be anywhere from 2.6 to 3 mn or more (depends on the condition of the car ) You get what you pay for . A well maintained car would probably cost much more than a poorly maintained car . however if you are somewhere near Colombo you could take it to the agents and get the car checked for a fair amount of money .

A GLX would have power mirrors , power shutters , ABS and dual airbags .

CHeck if all these systems are working correctly , Common cheap jimlart repairs that some broker type car sellers do is if there is a fault with the Air bag or ABS they take out the ABS or airbag bulb or wire it to some other indicator bulb such as the oil pressure light or check engine light . or vice versa where the engine light is wired to turn off with the abs or airbag light . so get it checked

It is hard to drive for 150000kms in srilanka without facing some kind of accident , at least a dent . so check that any accident repairs are done up correctly

.Also check for minor things like worn out brakepads , tyres , drive belts , CV joints and suspension related parts .check If theres any oil leaking from the shockabsorbers , if so they would need replacing . things like these add up and when you realize that theres a ton of repairs to do after spending all ur money on a car , its too late . so better keep some money for doing repairs if u notice any .

Edit :Remembered a Con point . - U cant fix a double din player without fixing an adapter which costs as much as a cheap double din unit .

Edited by Dushyantha
  • Like 1

Can't believe there's another Lancer CS thread going on pretty much with the same information which has been discussed in the forum over and over again.

There are many threads about the CS Lancer, search the forum! There's even a double din conversion thread.

• Like 1

Thanks davy . Found the thread .Came in very useful when i was searching for a mitsu myself :) . but wasnt of much use when i was searching for a mitsubishi obd scanner .

Thanks for the prompt response and advice.....

CS3 GLX 2008 manual, 150000km
What is the current market price for this car and what are the other pros and cons of this car

Plz advise

Yaman . if you want more details about the CS model go to the thread link below . and better post your questions there .

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15687-help-with-my-new-cs3/

Jor-el . that adapter costs almost 17000LKR (8000LKR for the adapter and 8500 for shipping ) . hence nearly costs as much as a cheap double din :)

Thanks davy . Found the thread .Came in very useful when i was searching for a mitsu myself :) . but wasnt of much use when i was searching for a mitsubishi obd scanner .

Yaman . if you want more details about the CS model go to the thread link below . and better post your questions there .

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15687-help-with-my-new-cs3/'>http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15687-help-with-my-new-cs3/

Jor-el . that adapter costs almost 17000LKR (8000LKR for the adapter and 8500 for shipping ) . hence nearly costs as much as a cheap double din :)

Or you can just use a flip out style single din DVD without mutilating your centre console :D

Or you can just use a flip out style single din DVD without mutilating your centre console :D

I considered this while I had my CS3, a flip-out one obstructs the centre AC vents and the clock, so I didn't like that. The actual double din conversion kit is pretty neat.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15687-help-with-my-new-cs3/

If you read through the following thread, you would have found that regular ELM based scanners don't work with the CS:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14674-diy-scan-your-own-car/

Also, the double din conversion that s.madura did was done using a similar kit from eBay that was almost half the price of what is shared above. These kits are becoming cheaper by the day, given the age of the CS series.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/17477-lancer-cs3-double-din-conversion/

If you read through the following thread, you would have found that it doesn't work with ELM scanners and the like:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14674-diy-scan-your-own-car/

this is my first conversation in your forum.  I wish to buy a 2015 brand new ex for a budget of 5.5 million.  am I dreaming?  if I come across it, is it a good buy?  I do not believe in hybrids and Toyota or Honda because there are too many of them on the road.  I like to keep the car as long as it serves me well.

apologies if this is not the right place for my enquiry, pro members can direct me to the right place!

Edited by anurajay85
added last para