• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diy E46 Rear Curtain Sliders

c1nder

One of my rear curtain snapped at the sliders some time back. YES crappy design on BMW's part to use plastic on these. They just get brittle in our sun. I just managed to DIY them today. Not a full writeup since I found a good DIY video. Thought of sharing that and a few thoughts. The same will work with a E39 too.

1. Once the slider snaps do NOT lower it. Put a cloth over it and let it slide down cause might scratch your glass or worse yet break one of those connections for your window heater.
  2. DONT buy the product they advertise in the video :sport-smiley-004: its this http://www.agatools.com/featured-products/sunshade-repair-kit. I don't think em tiny parts are worth 120 USD!
  3. Instead get these http://www.li-customs.com/shop.php search for "Sunshade Tabs - Black Anodized (E39 BMW 5 Series 1997-2006 & 7 Series 2002-2007)" At 55 USD for a CNC machined billet aluminium set. And YES, they fit a E46 just fine.
  4. To get the rear curtain to come up half way, turn the ignition key to position 2. No need to start the engine. Press the sunshade button and turn off the ignition once it comes up 1/2 way. It will stop.
  5. It's bloody cramped there to work so have patience.
  6. I found it easier to break off the remaining slider. Remove the part that breaks off on the two lifters and use a hack saw blade to cut the rivet in 1/2.
  7. Remember the orientation the sliders were in when removing them off the railing. They aren't symmetric.
  8. I used high temp brake grease to lubricate the railing. No risk of it melting in the heat. (I hope)
  9. Fix the sliders on to the lifting rod's 1st. Then slide them on to the railing.
  10. The curtain is fixed to the railing by a thin metal wire like thing. Try not to let it slide out. It's a pain in the a$$ to put it back in.
Edited by c1nder