• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

DIY steering wheel skin/cover

Dushyantha

Job well done machan! That looks pretty neat, well worth the effort :D

One piece of advice to anyone following this, if your steering is equipped with an airbag you must be careful not to deploy it when removing. Even if the battery is disconnected, there are backup capacitors that can provide sufficient power for a small amount of time for the airbag to deploy in case of an emergency. An airbag deploying in front of your face is not a pleasant feeling!

Edited by Vengeance
  • Like 2

Well done! That's a pretty neat job. 

Looks like this is common on the CS Lancer. Had the same issue on my CS3 when I got it, but didn't worsen during the time I had the car, so I guess this happens as a result of parking under the hot sun regularly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vengeance said:

Job well done machan! That looks pretty neat, well worth the effort :D

One piece of advice to anyone following this, if your steering is equipped with an airbag you must be careful not to deploy it when removing. Even if the battery is disconnected, there are backup capacitors that can provide sufficient power for a small amount of time for the airbag to deploy in case of an emergency. An airbag deploying in front of your face is not a pleasant feeling!

Hahah. Yes there is a very small possibility of the airbag deploying when everything is switched off and disconnected.  But then there is a much larger possibility of it deploying when all systems have power, everything connected and you are driving facing the airbag right? :P

11 minutes ago, Dushyantha said:

Hahah. Yes there is a very small possibility of the airbag deploying when everything is switched off and disconnected.  But then there is a much larger possibility of it deploying when all systems have power, everything connected and you are driving facing the airbag right? :P

Modern airbag systems are smart enough not to deploy spontaneously. The G sensor on the car needs to receive a signal in order to set off the airbag(s). So, unless there is a fault in the system, airbags will not deploy.

On the CS Lancer, the G sensor is behind the dashboard, towards the centre of the car.

Edited by Davy

39 minutes ago, Davy said:

Modern airbag systems are smart enough not to deploy spontaneously. The G sensor on the car needs to receive a signal in order to set off the airbag(s). So, unless there is a fault in the system, airbags will not deploy.

On the CS Lancer, the G sensor is behind the dashboard, towards the centre of the car.

Speaking of airbags, Did any authorized agent in SL recall the cars they sold due to the Takata mass airbag recall? 

http://www.ibtimes.com/takata-airbag-recall-honda-calls-back-784000-vehicles-japan-2379999

Edited by Jor-el

45 minutes ago, s.madura said:

Wow well done. as others said. pretty neat job like right out of the factory.

I know how hard this is after my failed attempt. Davy you might have noticed :lol:

Honestly, I think it's a lot better than how it used to look before. Maybe you can get some help from Dushyantha now. :)

• Like 1

haha . Yep IT WAS HARD !!!  but the outcome is definitely worth the effort . and i only had to spend about 200 rs (150rs for the material and 50rs for the needles and stuff) for the job . cheaper than buying a normal steering wheel cover . :D 

• Like 1

Neat job. Well worth the effort and patience.

Just one thing...its too late now but did you apply any multi-bond adhesive to the inside of the cover lining ?  I feel after some usage the cover might twist a little around the steering wheel since only friction is holding it properly wrapped around. 

3 hours ago, MAS said:

Neat job. Well worth the effort and patience.

Just one thing...its too late now but did you apply any multi-bond adhesive to the inside of the cover lining ?  I feel after some usage the cover might twist a little around the steering wheel since only friction is holding it properly wrapped around. 

Thanks  . And Nop . didnt apply any adhesive since i wasnt exactly sure untill the last moment on how this would turn out :P no adhesive is really needed since everything fits tightly . i like to keep it like that so for some reason if i wanted to revert back to original , then its always easily possible :)

still havent noticed any twisting , however since you mentioned i checked if it can be twisted . the cover was sewn tightly so it doesn't twist unless you purposely hold it and twist like when wringing clothes. I remember that i once had a steering wheel cover which sometimes rotated around the wheel if turned hard . nothing like that happens since the cover is sewn to the 3 spokes .