• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is it OK to switching to new engine oil?

flashmark

Hi,

I recently changed my Suzuki Swift engine oil to Mo*il 1000 (10W30). Earlier I used Ca*trol 10W40 magnetic. I noticed that little bit of oil level change after 250Km ran. I refilled it.

Is this normal? One mechanic said sometime I will have to go back to previous engine oil. Is that true?

Thanks

What you witnessed is normal for a engine that has run over 100k kms or so. Now that you are using a slightly less viscous oil (ie from SAE 40 to SAE 30), it is normal that you observe a slight oil burn. Go back to the same oil that you were using (I mean not the necessarily the same brand but at least the same working viscosity ie 10W40, 15W40 etc.)

Unless you overhauled your engine, Going back on the viscosity grade is not smart if your not having a brand new car,..the fact that the engine is consuming oil is a sign that it's ready for SAE40

Using oil ment for a newer engine isn't gonna make your oldie new again,..;)

the thicker oil would also be useful in our tropical climate in maintaining oil pressure.

So change to the oil Viscosity used previously and enjoy care free motoring..:)

Edited by Twin Turbo

Sorry. I forgot to mention the mileage. Car mileage is 49,000Km. Previously I used 10w40 but it is bit more thinker to k12B engine. (I used the oil grade which recommended by A*W.) So this time I used 10W30. What is opinion? Shall I continue using this until next service (with top up)?

11 hours ago, flashmark said:

Sorry. I forgot to mention the mileage. Car mileage is 49,000Km. Previously I used 10w40 but it is bit more thinker to k12B engine. (I used the oil grade which recommended by A*W.) So this time I used 10W30. What is opinion? Shall I continue using this until next service (with top up)?

Well A*W must have some reasoning behind their recommendation. But it is somewhat unlikely that a car that has done only 49k kms burns oil within 250km. After last fill up drive for another 250km and see if the level drops. Meanwhile get your  PCV valve checked. How to check a PCV is explained in

2 hours ago, flashmark said:

Thank you for all.

A separate question :

I compared Mo*il 1000 Vs 2000. According to that mobile 2000 recomonded for a vehcile which ran over 120,000 km. Don't we need to switch oil to 10W-40 after running 120k but switching to mo*il 2000? (http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super_2000-5w30.aspx#)

Regardless of the mileage there is no need to switch to 10W-40 if the engine doesn't burn the OEM recommended lower viscosity oil eg. 10W-30. Mob*l 2000 is a semi-synthetic oil promoted by Mob*l for vehicles with a higher mileage in a temperate zone. Still Mob*l does not specifically recommend the application but wants you to refer to recommendation in OEM user manual.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to know... does the distributor cap has an effect on oil reducing or burning?

Few months back a mechanic told me to replace the distributor cap.. I really cant remember why he said that, as I remember he said something like, some gum or sealant has been pasted over the 4 rings of the distributor cap and therefore change it.. 

however i didnt replace it, and i experienced a little bit of an oil reducing during the past 2 weeks.. I'm wondering if this distributor cap is the culprit for this... however I don't know whats the oil brand the previous owner used.. I did my service at A*W and they used castrol, and the mileage is 131.. im using the same thing for the refill.. however I refilled a whole 1 litre into the oil tank.. and 4 weeks back I also did a 380... should I be worried ? 

Edited by PreseaLover