• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chevrolet Cruze Steering Rack Noise

Randeewa

This is old topic and i thought to share my present experience (also reply to asanka_rg)

Do you still have steering rack noise on Chevrolet Cruze?

I am happy to say I have resolved my steering rack daka daka noise last week. The issue was not with steering rack whole time it was with Steering shaft which inter connect rack to steering wheel. There is small play with steering shaft couplers and very noticeable loose with shaft joint (The joint which use for adjust the shaft).

Problem found out by myself as this has been big headache to me as I have already replaced the whole steering rack few months back. To find the issue I drove cruze on potholes with my left foot tight to the steering shaft under the dash board and noise disappeared. Straight away went to the mechanic and replace the shaft. Very easy replacement just has to remove two bolts (shaft upper and lower) under dash board. Few used shafts found easily (removed from Suzuki swift steering column as they are same).

I am pretty sure this steering shaft Play/rattle is a common issue on Suzuki swift and Cruze because I have replaced shaft twice. First one replaced also has play. Second one is OK. 

Another thing Chevrolet Cruze steering rack 100% identical with Suzuki Swift HT51 Model. every used parts shops mislead me except one place which I bought shaft. I have compared my old steering rack with swift rack they are same.    

When searching web for this issue I found following about steering shaft. http://www.ttora.com/forum/2-early-tacoma-tech/161689-diagnose-fix-steering-play-rattle.html

They are suggesting put welding dot for shaft and repair but my mechanic says it will be risky for ECU and the electronic component and if you want to remove steering column first have to remove entire steering rack.

Happy to say now my cruze not have any kind of noise from rack.

I have attached few photos from my old shaft

IMG_20160821_232937.jpg

IMG_20160821_232907.jpg

IMG_20160821_232837.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...