• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla 121 make over

MarcoPolo

I have a Toyota Corolla 121 (1.5 xli, manual) which has clocked just over 200k km. There are fair amount of squeaks and rattles while driving, body needs few fixes (rusted side mirror arm, door trims etc.) and electrical system needs a complete re-work. My knowledge on automobile is minimal and experience with garages aren't the best.

I am looking for a place to get the car a complete make over both appearance and performance. Can anyone suggest a reliable place to get it done please.

Also I would like to know should I consider an engine overhaul and what other aspects should I consider in a make over.

Thanks in advance and any advice is greatly appreciated as I am next to clueless :unsure: 

Edited by MarcoPolo

Welcome to the forum!

What are the performance issues you have with your 121? 200k km on the odometer is not a reason for overhauling. However, if you have a CEL indication, a bad Eco test report, fuel consumption issues, bad idling/difficulty in starting etc then you must first go for a tune up (a clean up of throttle body/PCV valve/Oil baffles etc, scan check on sensors and filter and plug change etc) and a compression check and then decide on what to do. I can recommend someone from Moratuwa area to get the tune up done. PM me if interested. If you have rattling noise from suspension and/or steering those can be solved separately. As for your electrical wiring what are the issues you are having now?

Go for the make over on appearance, but only after you are done with performance and whatever electrical issues you have.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

You might need to overhaul your suspension system. Unless you have excessive engine oil burn,white/blue smoke issues you do not need to overhaul the engine. Do an engine tuneup as Rumesh mentioned if there's a need.