• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Swift 2008 Gear box malfunction (doesn't tick over)

DasWarden

Question

Hello Everyone..,

This is the first post I'm posting in this forum. But I've been a regular reader since the beginning. Recently I purchase a Suzuki Swift 2008 (71S) and It has occured a problem that need your help. I did read all the topic regarding Swift gearbox problems and didn't find what I need. So please advise me on this topic. 

When I purchase the car, ODO meter reading was 98000 km. It was a first owner car and the owner told me that he didn't change the gear box oil after 30000 km due to the recommendation from the agent which is probably a lie. I think it has a conventional 4 speed gearbox by going through how the RPM meter changes and he didn't have the user manual.

So after I purchase the car I did a full service including changing all the oils and filters in the car.

But since yesterday when I change the gear to "Drive" after starts the car, it doesn't tick over on a flat road. I have to accelerate to move forward and even for that I have to push the accelerate somewhat hard. Same thing is happening to the "Reverse".  But after I starts to drive on the road, problem seems to be okay. So problem occurs when I starts the car and in first few minutes in the Drive and then problem is okay.

Normally I don't take cars to local service stations, but I don't know how the previous owner did things. So I'm wondering if any of you guys can give me some advise before I take the car to A*W. I would like to understand what type of problem this car is having and whether is it urgent to take the car to A*W.

I know this post is quite long, But I wanted to explain the situation as best as I can. Please give me some advice on this topic and finally if any of you guys have Swift 71S 2008 (2004-2010) USER MANUAL please upload. I only found the 72S User manual on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DasWarden

14 answers to this question

Couple of questions;

When you say doesnt move is the engine rpm going up but not moving forwards ? or is there a general hesitancy and the engine is not revving also ?

When you put the car in D pressing the brake peddle lightly does the car sort of lunge forward ?

Do you notice any difference in your engines rpm when you switch between D and N ?

What is your idle rpm ? and does it change when you switch on the AC ?

What was the ATF used, 71S has a CVT, there is special oil for this gear box (expensive, they call it liquid gold, last I checked few years back when I had a 71S it was around Rs. 5k per lit.)

My advise take the car in a carrier to the agent (A*W), they are not that expensive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Stig said:

Couple of questions;

When you say doesnt move is the engine rpm going up but not moving forwards ? or is there a general hesitancy and the engine is not revving also ?

When you put the car in D pressing the brake peddle lightly does the car sort of lunge forward ?

Do you notice any difference in your engines rpm when you switch between D and N ?

What is your idle rpm ? and does it change when you switch on the AC ?

First of all thanks for the quick reply to my post.

For the first question, After I change the gear to "D" and lift the break car doesn't move( as you mentioned when lifting the break paddle car should move, but NOT in this one) So I have to push accelerate somewhat harder to get moving (2500 rpm). But after that (when I keep driving for few minutes) problem is solved.

For the second one, I didn't notice any rpm change between D and N.

For the last one, idle rpm hangs around 1600, no big difference with A/C

3 hours ago, kush said:

What was the ATF used, 71S has a CVT, there is special oil for this gear box (expensive, they call it liquid gold, last I checked few years back when I had a 71S it was around Rs. 5k per lit.)

My advise take the car in a carrier to the agent (A*W), they are not that expensive.

Thanks for the quick reply to my post. 

It was bp they used and it was before two weeks. 

I really thought it was 4 speed Transmission that this car has. Because rpm go up and down when the gears change. 

So thanks for clearing my doubts. 

If you happen to have user manual from your swift please let me know. 

CVTs doesn't have a strong creeping function like normal autos and in the morning this is very noticeable. After CVT oil warms up this would go away just as you mentioned. But usually you don't have to push that hard to get it going after start.

I don't know what's the recommended CVT oil for your model but putting the correct oil is very important for CVTs.

2 hours ago, DasWarden said:

First of all thanks for the quick reply to my post.

For the first question, After I change the gear to "D" and lift the break car doesn't move( as you mentioned when lifting the break paddle car should move, but NOT in this one) So I have to push accelerate somewhat harder to get moving (2500 rpm). But after that (when I keep driving for few minutes) problem is solved.

For the second one, I didn't notice any rpm change between D and N.

For the last one, idle rpm hangs around 1600, no big difference with A/C

It is quite possible you may have multiple issues. I was not aware this car had a cvt box but you shouldn't have to rev it to 2500 rpm to get it moving. Are you sure you used the correct cvt fluid? 

Secondly your idle rpm is too high,  after the engine has warmed up it should be around 1000 or below with ac. And the revs should slight  change when the ac is switched on. It is quite possible your idle up valve/sensor is faulty. 

Thirdly the rpm should go down slightly  when shifting to D from N. If it doesn't that mean that the gearbox is not putting a load on the engine. Thus could be deu to slipping. You should get it checked in any case. 

Edited by The Stig

is there a sorta standardized RPM reading like where the RPM should be as in around 1000rpm and does the engine capacity play a role here as well?

1000cc cars like a Vitz seem to Rev quiet a bit at idle whereas 2000cc seems to idle comfortably at 800rpm with AC.

meant to ask that for sometime only now remembered :P

Hey Guys.., 

Thanks a lot for your support. I think now I have an idea about the problem. Tomorrow I'm taking the car back to A*W to get this fixed.

Sorry for not replying to each one of you. But I really appreciate all the help you gave to me.

Thanks again...

Edited by DasWarden

1 hour ago, Muditha420 said:

is there a sorta standardized RPM reading like where the RPM should be as in around 1000rpm and does the engine capacity play a role here as well?

1000cc cars like a Vitz seem to Rev quiet a bit at idle whereas 2000cc seems to idle comfortably at 800rpm with AC.

meant to ask that for sometime only now remembered :P

It depends on the car model too. Mine being a 1300cc idles at 600-650 and it is mentioned in a sticker pasted inside the engine bay. Earlier had an Alto K10 that idled around 900.

1 hour ago, adilhara said:

hello Mr 

DasWarden

I also  purchase a Suzuki Swift 2008 (71S) auto but i have same problem what you mention above..i want to know the reason for this.if you already solve this problem plz mention what i want to do..thanks..

He turned the odo back to 42k km and got rid of it :D