• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota aqua power side mirror problem

Rimaz

Question

My Toyota aqua has got a problem with power side mirrors recently. They usually open and fold with the button press correctly. But when I park it under the sun for sometime, they are stucked in the last kept position. Again functions properly when cooled down. Is it the nature of this mirrors or is it because someone had tried to remove it forcefully causing  the electricals malfunction? Any idea to fix it? Thanks in advance. 

12 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Mahindamara said:

This is frequently happening at hot climate. At night system is working g well. May be some expansion inside the mirror moving parts or voltage drop due some other reason.

Motors inside the power mirrors are protected against over-current. The usual and the simplest form of protection is based on a PTC thermistor in series with the motor (more sophisticated designs use stall detection and over current detection). When parked under the sun for sometime the temperature inside the mirror can reach something like 60 -70C which would result in narrowing PTC's operating temperature window and can cause it operate prematurely. TBH I do not see a solution to it unless you can find an OEM replacement of different thermal specs for the motor. Meantime, you can try ad hoc cooling methods like wrapping the mirror with a wet towel (In fact it remind me of wrapping ignition coils of old cars with wet towels to bring the temperature down) while parked under the sun :lol:.  

On 1/16/2017 at 9:58 AM, Rumesh88 said:

Motors inside the power mirrors are protected against over-current. The usual and the simplest form of protection is based on a PTC thermistor in series with the motor (more sophisticated designs use stall detection and over current detection). When parked under the sun for sometime the temperature inside the mirror can reach something like 60 -70C which would result in narrowing PTC's operating temperature window and can cause it operate prematurely. TBH I do not see a solution to it unless you can find an OEM replacement of different thermal specs for the motor. Meantime, you can try ad hoc cooling methods like wrapping the mirror with a wet towel (In fact it remind me of wrapping ignition coils of old cars with wet towels to bring the temperature down) while parked under the sun :lol:.  

Or you can get your butt off the car unfold the mirror like us peasant folk do :D

On 10/2/2016 at 7:23 PM, Rimaz said:

My Toyota aqua has got a problem with power side mirrors recently. They usually open and fold with the button press correctly. But when I park it under the sun for sometime, they are stucked in the last kept position. Again functions properly when cooled down. Is it the nature of this mirrors or is it because someone had tried to remove it forcefully causing  the electricals malfunction? Any idea to fix it? Thanks in advance. 

In front of St'Joseph's college there is some shops ask them, they can fix it easily  no more than Rs.2000/=

1 hour ago, Puff said:

In front of St'Joseph's college there is some shops ask them, they can fix it easily  no more than Rs.2000/=

Thank you for your response...but please do not revive old threads unnecessarily. Please be mindful of the date of the posts you are replying to (in this case the question was asked 4 years ago and answered). Just so you know...it is a common problem with cars of that era and old ones...the excessive heat jams up the plastic gears inside.