• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Power steering problem

Pramuk

Question

Hey guys im new to this group and this is my very first post.. my yaris 2008 has a problem with power steering ..when I take a typical turns sometimes the steering wheel get locked and to unlock i had to stop the engine and turn it on again..pls tell me what reason couses for this problem.. plz help me.! ?

Edited by Pramuk

9 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Pramuk said:

Hey guys im new to this group and this is my very first post.. my yaris 2008 has a problem with power steering ..when I take a typical turns sometimes the steering wheel get locked and to unlock i had to stop the engine and turn it on again..pls tell me what reason couses for this problem.. plz help me.! ?

Lock means, can't rotate the steering even by high force (physically locked) or need high force to return back ?? 

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an intermittent loss of power assistance. Does the Yaris have EPS? If yes, you should get a diagnostic scan done to determine if there are errors in the system. The EPS motor or related components might be failing.

If it's just regular hydraulic power steering, it can be a slipping drive belt, lack of power steering fluid. You can get them checked out easily. If they're fine, then the power steering system will have to be checked out for faults in the hydraulic lines, linkages or even the rack itself.

8 hours ago, Davy said:

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an intermittent loss of power assistance. Does the Yaris have EPS? If yes, you should get a diagnostic scan done to determine if there are errors in the system. The EPS motor or related components might be failing.

If it's just regular hydraulic power steering, it can be a slipping drive belt, lack of power steering fluid. You can get them checked out easily. If they're fine, then the power steering system will have to be checked out for faults in the hydraulic lines, linkages or even the rack itself.

Yes it does have EPS

I remember the Yaris having a recall for power steering failure which was due to a faulty EPS control module.  If your car was imported brand new, you should be able to ring Toyota Lanka and provide the chassis number and inquire if your car is affected.

I wouldn't advice driving your car like this due to the potential risk. Get it checked out immediately. As I mentioned before, diagnostic scan first. If that doesn't show any errors, the EPS system will have to be checked out anyway. The agent is the best place to go for something like this IMO because they will perform proper checks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davy said:

I remember the Yaris having a recall for power steering failure which was due to a faulty EPS control module.  If your car was imported brand new, you should be able to ring Toyota Lanka and provide the chassis number and inquire if your car is affected.

I wouldn't advice driving your car like this due to the potential risk. Get it checked out immediately. As I mentioned before, diagnostic scan first. If that doesn't show any errors, the EPS system will have to be checked out anyway. The agent is the best place to go for something like this IMO because they will perform proper checks. 

the car has ran about 80K ..soi bet that shouldn't be effected.. 

8 hours ago, Pramuk said:

the car has ran about 80K ..soi bet that shouldn't be effected.. 

A recall doesn't mean that the issue has to be there from day one, or after x amount of Kilometres. On some vehicles, the issue wouldn't have surfaced at all, but the manufacturer does the repair anyway to prevent the risk. Anyway, I was pointing out the fact that you might be able to get the issue fixed free of charge if this is related to the recall. Up to you to check it out.

Recall issue or not, your car shouldn't be on the road until your EPS is repaired - for your safety and the safety of others.

• Like 2

On 18/11/2016 at 5:11 AM, Davy said:

A recall doesn't mean that the issue has to be there from day one, or after x amount of Kilometres. On some vehicles, the issue wouldn't have surfaced at all, but the manufacturer does the repair anyway to prevent the risk. Anyway, I was pointing out the fact that you might be able to get the issue fixed free of charge if this is related to the recall. Up to you to check it out.

Recall issue or not, your car shouldn't be on the road until your EPS is repaired - for your safety and the safety of others.

Scan didnt show any errors 

On 12/4/2016 at 7:07 PM, Pramuk said:

Scan didnt show any errors 

Majority of mechanical failures and some electrical failures (of some particular components) will not give error-codes. 

1. At which point the locking happens? 

a. at any angle?

b. outer most angle/point? left side, right side or both?

c. can you hear any click or any other sound when locking and/or unlocking?